U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2010, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,598 times
Default Find job or apartment before moving?

Moving from Ottawa to Toronto, probably a dumb question but should I find a job in Toronto before I get there or a place to live first? I was thinking of staying at a hotel while I did my search for the 2 when I got there but I'm just a student and it seems really expensive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 03:34 PM

155 posts, read 265,614 times
Your best bet is to look on craigslist for a room/shared. You can rent a room in someones house or apartment for around 200.00 - 500.00 a month. This will give you time to look for a job. Get some job security and save a bit, then you can start looking for your own apartment.

It would be very difficult to get approval for an apartment without an income.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 12,598 times
Oh should have reworded, I'll be looking for a room to rent as I have no furniture or anything, pretty much have some clothes to bring with me and a furnished room would be perfect. So do most rented rooms not mind if the person has a job in Toronto yet if just moving in but can pay the monthly fees etc on time? or will they need me to show that I found a job before moving in?

Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Because people renting rooms are done privately, its much easier. Usually someone in a house trying to make a buck or someone looking for a roommate. 95% of the time, there isn't going to be an application. Basically just a verbal agreement. When you contact people with rooms for rent, just be honest. Your moving to Toronto, your a student, you have a bit of savings which you will be able to live off for some time and you will be looking for a part time job in the meantime when you get moved in. 9 times out of 10, they will have no problem renting.

Some come furnished, some don't. Even if you have to buy a cheap futon, a dresser and a desk, you can probably find a deal for a hundred dollars or so.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,392,669 times
The question is whether you would spend the same money in accomodation in Toronto as you are spending now in Ottawa. The other question is whether currently you have a job to pay your rent or you are living with your parents, friends, relatives, or living off savings.

If moving to Toronto would generate additional rental expenses, then it would be wise to wait until you have a job. You can do day trips for interviews, and live where you are now.

On the other hand, if you are living off savings, unemployment insurance, etc., and you would have the same expenses whether in Ottawa or Toronto, then it would make sense to move to Toronto so that you are available for any job interview that may come your way.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpg_99 View Post
The question is whether you would spend the same money in accomodation in Toronto as you are spending now in Ottawa. The other question is whether currently you have a job to pay your rent or you are living with your parents, friends, relatives, or living off savings.

If moving to Toronto would generate additional rental expenses, then it would be wise to wait until you have a job. You can do day trips for interviews, and live where you are now.

On the other hand, if you are living off savings, unemployment insurance, etc., and you would have the same expenses whether in Ottawa or Toronto, then it would make sense to move to Toronto so that you are available for any job interview that may come your way.
This is true, but when your actually in Toronto, and depending on the job, its much easier. A lot of times you can be called in for an interview the next day. After travelling back and forth between Ottawa and Toronto several times per week, or coming once and staying in a hotel for several days, the costs would even out and you would be better off just moving. As a student, I would assume you are going to be looking for general customer service work. These jobs are a dime a dozen in Toronto. Its sort of a 'call today, start tomorrow' type thing. Therefore, it would be better to live here first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto