Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,513 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
In january 2011 im going to be moving to toronto (visa already sorted). Im female and in my early 20s. Recently graduated from college! Im hoping I can get some help on accomadation, jobs etc....

Here are a few questions!
Ive been looking up accom for the last few months just to get an idea and most places or either basement apartments, bachelor/studio apartments or extremely expensive. From experience what do people think of basement apartments cos Im not really gone on the idea, but definately dont want a studio!
Im hoping to get a furnished apartment, preferably utilities included for about $600 to $700 per month, is this even possible.

As I mentioned before Im female so definately need a safe area. Im familiar with the beaches but from what I can tell thats super expensive to rent in! Any suggestions for safe areas would be helpful.

On the jobs front, the reason Im moving to toronto is I want to get into event management/ wedding planning. Does anyone know what the job prospects in these or similar fields are!

Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
To get an idea for Toronto rents and prices of other necessities, this site may be helpful

Kijiji Toronto Classifieds: Free Classified Ads for Toronto, Ontario

I don't think there's any real issue with most basement apartments; they've been a staple for people just starting out for many years.

I'd be more concerned about your wish to get a furnished apartment. The selection of furnished units is much smaller than unfurnished units, and, unless you're looking to spend big bucks, the quality of the furnishings is likely to be dubious.

You're probably better off to get an unfurnished apartment in an area you like and then either buy some basic furnishings new, or pick up some decent used stuff off sites like the one listed above.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,149 times
247apartments will be a good site as well.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 PM

Would anyone be able to recommend some safe areas, pretty central or with good public transport??? Obviously want to be looking for places with people my own age (early 20s) rather than an older, family area

Old 06-09-2010, 02:47 PM

52 posts, read 136,928 times
Since you will be moving around in the area a lot, considering downtown or central area might be a good idea. Access to public transportation would be vital in the beginning. If you have any friends or family that can give you exact idea of what to expect, that would be great.

In addition to the links provided above, here is another one.

Toronto Classified Ads

See if you can find any good listings. It would be a good idea to review places and listings before taking things further.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 24,944 times
You'll do well to look downtown as that's where many of young people are. But I think you won't find a furnished apartment for $600-$700. The Beaches are indeed very pricey and also very family-oriented. The Annex area (close to UofT) has many young people and a lot of housing options.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM

7 posts, read 13,921 times
You may perhaps find more reasonable rents in east york which is not far from the beaches area .
you must be more selective of the area in east york of course and can find a unit close to either the subway or public transportation. The beaches are also very trendy as well, and great for entertainment.
The advantage of the beraches , if you shoose the lower beaches , yo ae close to the water queens st and shopping. There is also the upper beaches, which would be perhaps more cost efficient.
However if you are in the right place at the right time you can also do well.
North York around the yonge finch or Bayview Sheppard area is also quite nice as well, close to the subway, and lots of shopping.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM

57 posts, read 47,932 times
jesus crist,600€,700€ for rent,that's like a paycheck around here,oh my god

can anyone tell where i can find the most cheapass location in toronto?doesn't have to be pretty,can be even in the "canadian guetto" if that exists,downtown,anything.....

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 06-21-2010 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: contact the member through DM

Old 07-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Thanks for all your responses. If anyone could recommend the best sites to find accomodation that would be great. Also once I arrive in Toronto I am hoping to get into event management/ wedding planning. I wouldnt have a great deal of experience but am willing to work from the ground up. Would there be many jobs available in these areas as there definately isnt any here in Ireland

Old 06-11-2012, 09:44 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,070,814 times
Desirable areas? I think I can spout off a few..these names are taken right from Google Maps

Trinity-Bellwoods
Palmerston-Little Italy
The Annex
Christie Pitts
Roncesvalles Village (one of my faves, but near impossible to find a vacancy)
High Park (beautiful area surrounding the park adjacent to Roncesvalles, again, hard to find vacancies)
Runnymede-Annette area

Good places to start your search (best, second best, third best, IMO)

Classifieds - thestar.com

Kijiji City of Toronto Classifieds: Free Local Classified Ads for City of Toronto, Ontario

Apartment Toronto: Find your next Toronto apartment, rent quickly with pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto