Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,389,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
Seriously, you are renting a car for a 2 week trip and worried about what people you have never met and most likely will never see again might say about you as you drive by?

To answer your question, yes the Prius has a reputation as being a liberal/yuppie car. Other people do buy them but it's often used as a symbol of green living, liberal thoughts, etc. But should that change your mind about renting it for a trip?
+1. I'm a crunchy conservative, and we own two hybrids, one Prius. I couldn't care less what others think of our cars. There are certainly self-righteous liberals and eco-chic's who buy Priuses to make a statement, makes me laugh. You can often identify them right away because they have lots of cause bumper stickers...we have none.

And every car makes a statement, even an old beater, not just the Prius...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 03:35 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,777,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. I'm a crunchy conservative, and we own two hybrids, one Prius. I couldn't care less what others think of our cars. There are certainly self-righteous liberals and eco-chic's who buy Priuses to make a statement, makes me laugh. You can often identify them right away because they have lots of cause bumper stickers...we have none.

And every car makes a statement, even an old beater, not just the Prius...
Same here. I'm considering either the Prius or an all-electric vehicle for the wife to commute to work.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:42 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,687,002 times
I don't see wanting to conserve the environment and the air we breathe to be "liberal" or "conservative". It should be something everyone is concerned about.

Old 03-25-2017, 03:50 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
When Prius first came out, it was a given that any poster who took the posting name of........"Prius Owner"...was about as liberal as they come in their posted views..

Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 PM

13,563 posts, read 10,279,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Hey, my friends and I are renting a Prius for a 2 week cross country trip, going from Baltimore to Los Angeles and then back again. We decided on the a Prius because we reckon it might same us some money on gas because of the fuel efficiency, and because since its a rental we won't be responsible for maintenance or whatever.

Its suddenly crossed my mind however about the Prius's very liberal reputation, that its a car driven mostly by typical East Coast yuppies and liberal Democrats, especially those into trends and fads (fads like Obama, etc). We're nothing like that, and we'll be going through a lot of Middle America and the southern states. Are we going to be mistakened for the typical arrogant, pretentious East Coast liberal? I hope not because I'm nowhere near that kind of person. I am a patriotic conservative American from a blue collar family who voted for George Bush twice and also for McCain. I despise liberals actually since my grandfather escaped from communist China. My dream car, once I finish grad school and have the money will be either a large SUV like the Expedition, a Hummer, and/or a large Chevy pickup truck.

Maybe we should see if there are any McCain-Palin bumper stickers to be bought on Amazon, or maybe a Christian or Confederate bumper sticker...hmmm....

Anyways is it true that most people see the Prius as a very liberal car that people buy to show their political motivations such as tree huggers, showing oppostion to the war, etc.
Man, do you have to politicize everything in your life?

Oh BTW, my grandparents also escaped from the communists in China, but that didn't make my parents nor me a jingoistic rightwing zealot who embraces the worst aspects of reactionary American political ideology.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 9,824 times
In my honest opinion, I have yet to meet a Prius' driver that knew how to properly situate him/herself and their vehicle on the road with others.

Sidenote, never be in the left lane with one.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,395,586 times
Put a bumper sticker on your rented Prius. "Chose Life, Your mother did" should work. This will remove any baseless assumptions people may make as you drive by.

You can usually find conservative bumper stickers at truck stops along your route.

If you do not want to clean off the bumber sticker with goo gone or whatever when you are done, then get a die cut vinyl american flag to put on the hood, or something simlar. Those peel right off when you heat them up (like with a hair dryer).

Old 03-28-2017, 01:52 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,701,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When Prius first came out, it was a given that any poster who took the posting name of........"Prius Owner"...was about as liberal as they come in their posted views..
Funny - where I come from it's the opposite. It says 'I'm the humblest fiscal conservative you'll ever meet' especially if it was a used Prius. In my family, driving a brand new, big, expensive gas guzzler is the epitome of stupidity and wasted money. I grew up on farm. We bought used 6 cylinder pickups and stake trucks because they were the cheapest tools to get the job done. Deadbeat farmers or hobby farmers run their credit up and bought new trucks and tractors on credit.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I don't see wanting to conserve the environment and the air we breathe to be "liberal" or "conservative". It should be something everyone is concerned about.

yeah because the Prius is so environmentally friendly....lol.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:10 PM

749 posts, read 726,837 times
I just don't understand why anybody cares.

I'd drive a Prius if it made sense to do so. But the few miles we put on our car, and the type of miles they are, make it fiscally irresponsible to dump money into a Prius. Also, it's not a truck, so it's of no use to me for 90% of what I do.

But if somebody else wants to buy and drive one - regardless of race, gender, age or religion - why should I care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion