Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 12:57 PM

210 posts, read 744,888 times

Advertisements

Anybody have a Tacoma two wheel drive, and use it in the winter? I have a 2007 Tacoma TRD not 4 wheel drive, and was wonreing how it is going to do in the Snow, ice, etc.. Im moving to the Southern Indiana area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Any RWD pick up can be dicey on snow and ice. I have an F150 and have to be aware of the situation.
Build a frame to fit over your rearwheels in the bed. Put a couple hundred pounds of sand bags in it. Buy a set of tire chains and have dedicated snow tires, also. I have posi-traction so that helps. I've never had to deploy my chains, although I've been within a couple minutes of doing so a few times. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:37 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
If you have some actual driving skill all you need is a bit of weight in the back, I had a 92 Dakota with the 318 with all season radials and I did just fine with some weight, no snow tires, no chains.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,737 times
I drive a Tacoma 2WD in rural New England. Never needed chains or snow tires, etc., just some decent tread still left is enough. Keeping the gas tank full adds some weight and is smart in winter.

Two or 3 bags of sand for extra weight and a shovel in the back is always good insurance if you're a nervous type. No one steals the shovels but after a few winters of not getting stuck the bags deteriorate and there's a mess of sand to clean up. Chains are a real pain and unnecessary.

The Tacoma's light weight is a big advantage if you get stuck and need a quick push out from passers-by. Just start gently on the gas and leave more room for breaking and stops. If you go out on a slippery back road after a snow and give it enough back-and-forth wheel (gently) to get the rear end fish-tailing a little, you'll learn quickly how to control an unexpected skid.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:44 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
If you have issues, get some winter tires. Tires make a HUGE difference.

Biggest thing is resale value. If you plan on getting rid of it any time soon, sell it while you still live in the South. Here in Colorado a 2WD truck is not wanted, thus you will not get a lot of money for it.

Google is your friend:
http://www.toyotatacomaforum.com/showthread.php?p=891
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...-2wd-snow.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=206542

Doesn't look good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion