Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 03:55 PM

11 posts, read 32,126 times

Advertisements

I have a 1998 Toyota Corolla LE (automatic - fwd) in need of new struts. It needs all four (rear is worse), but since I am moving next month and on a fixed income I planned to just do the rear struts. My plan is to drive this car until the engine or transmission blows and at this point both seem fine. The car has 116,000 miles on it. I only drive 3,000-4,000 miles per year. It does not eat oil. The move is 1,500 miles, and I will be loading the car with all my worldly possessions. I have considered towing a small U-Haul trailer instead of loading down the car. Either way I would have to get at least the rear struts replaced it would seem? The tires are only a few months old.

The issue is that I have received 3 widely varying estimates from 2 mechanics. More on that later.

I used to work on my own vehicles, but I personally haven't done anything on this one other than oil changes. All other repairs have been done by mechanics.

My first estimate for just the rear struts was for $480. The second (from a different mechanic) was for $460. Both estimates were for replacing the entire strut-spring assembly each one costing about $150-180 for the part alone. Both said it was one hour labor per strut.

Before getting the work done I took it to the first place to have them look the car over to see if there was any other damage or worn parts that could be an unpleasant, expensive surprise. Other than the beginnings of a leak in the power steering pump and the rack everything looked okay. Here's where the 3rd estimate comes in. At this time I was told the rear struts (not including the spring) would cost $840 Hmmm. When I asked him to explain he said it was 4 hours of labor at $82 ($328) plus the struts & mounts ($410) plus a 4 wheel alignment ($70) .

Things didn't add up in a number of ways, so I stopped in my local AutoZone. The two older men there discussed it with me and looked up the cost of parts. Each strut is $62. If I opted for the entire strut-spring assembly that would be $182. Ah-ha! It was then the seemingly high cost of the part(s) made sense. Up until then I thought I had to replace the entire assembly.

Due to the age of the car I would really rather just replace the struts and not the springs. That alone would save me $240 on the rear alone.

So, my question(s):

1)Any thoughts on the one hour vs. four hours of labor? Which is it? I know the rear seat has to be removed, but that's not difficult.

2)I am considering doing it myself or having a mechanic do it after I get to my new destination. I trust the people there. Over the 3.5 years I have lived here I have learned not to trust many so called professions in a variety of fields. It's a systemic problem here and a huge reason why I am leaving.
What are your thoughts on driving the car 1500 interstate miles with weight? I am a safe, defensive driver and have no problem going slower if need be.

3) Any thoughts on what would be easiest on the car - loading or towing?

I feel the need for more input that what I have to make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The labor will be much less when replacing the strut/spring assembly. The assembly generally is removed and replaced easily.

To preserve the spring means the strut has to be extracted from within the spring. The mechanic must use a spring compressor to relieve the tension from the assembly so it can be disassembled. This takes more time and carries some risk because the spring is very powerful. It is your choice. Spend more on parts, or spend more on labor. It is unlikely the springs NEED replacement.

As for your trip....unless you cannot fit everything in the car I would not tow a trailer with a Corolla. Towing takes special care dealing with the wind, it is harder to navigate, and you will actually be pulling more weight since you have the weight of the trailer itself. Your gas mileage will be worse with the trailer. Perhaps one advantage of the trailer is that you can lock your stuff in it - where it is not visible to others.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:16 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,167,740 times
Sounds like the first two shops are going the easy way, which is to buy the strut assembly with the spring already installed. Doing it this way is MUCH faster, easier, and safer. An hour a corner seems a bit high for a shop rate, but then again I haven't worked on a 98 Corolla, so I don't know what's involved with your car specifically.

The last guy sounds like he wants to take the spring off the strut and re-use it. That requires a bit more labor per corner, but not an extra hour per. AT BEST, it should add another hour total, and that's being generous. Most shops have the nice big spring compressors that make this a quick and easy process. That being said, when done this way, there are some other pieces that should also be replaced (such as the mounts or upper bearing assemblies), and those will add to the cost.

My $.02, take a good look under the car and see what's involved in removing the strut. It's usually one or two bolts at the bottom where it connects to a control arm, plus another 2-4 bolts on the top (usually hidden in the trunk somewhere. check under the carpet or plastic in the corners). Sometimes you also need to disconnect sway bar end links (if equipped) to get the strut out. Overall, not a difficult job if you have the tools (basic set of wrenches, a jack, and a jackstand should be all you need), and if you replace the ENTIRE assembly as a unit (meaning buying the more expensive one with the spring already installed), it's not bad at all.

If, though, you decide to have the pros do it, either of the two first shops sound a little high but not too bad.

An alignment afterwards is a smart idea. The suspension work will likely throw something out of whack, and you don't want those new tires wearing prematurely as a result.

Mike

Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
3. Towing. Easiest is to get drive on car dolly, but that will bite you bad on truck gas.
1. Do FRONT struts ONLY. As they are most of weight load anyway. For now, for the rear, simply drop about 100 lbs ballast into trunk. This will get you by for another year to 2, if you do not drive much. 70 - 100 lbs. Been done very successfully on several cars. Just a couple of concrete blocks, like curb ones.. You can buy tube of sand, x 2, 50 lbs each.
2. KYB. KYB is OEM Toyota strut. I just did all 4 on my Camry and regretted GREATLY I didn't do KYB front. I did monroe, listened to a fellow forum member, and they are definitely not as good as KYBs. Also, thing is, at least for my car, there is no camber adjustment provisions. Come to find, KYB struts have built in structure that locks camber in place. Monroe does not. So I ended with camber bolts in the front. Took me about an hr to do pass side, as it was new, and about 20 minutes to do driver side thereafter.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:05 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
I'm going to guess that there is nothing wrong with the struts or springs. This is usually the case 99 out of a 100 times. Just replace the shocks.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 PM

792 posts, read 2,872,635 times
Since $ is tight and it sounds like you done quite a bit of auto work in the past, I see no reason not to just buy the whole strut assembly and do the work yourself. You'll need jack stands and a torque wrench but that's about it. Messing with compressing the springs is a bigger job. I checked RockAuto and good brand strut assemblies are $110-$120 each.

(A side note: If you are certain you'll do both front and rear, but at different times, you'll need two alignments I believe. Since you're going to keep the car until it drops, I'd buy the Firestone lifetime alignment. You can bargain them down on price, so the total will be the cost of two alignments or less. That will save you $80 or so in a few years when you need to replace tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.)

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
I think if you're hauling stuff any distance, you'd want to get all four shocks replaced. If the '98 Corolla gives you the option of installing the entire assembly (including springs), that would be dead simple. A bit pricier, but it saves the hassle of compressing the springs and replacing other parts as well.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'm going to guess that there is nothing wrong with the struts or springs. This is usually the case 99 out of a 100 times. Just replace the shocks.
It's been my understanding that it's either struts OR shocks. Some cars come with shocks, some with struts. Struts being the more expensive option.

I'm looking at a very expensive fix for rear struts on my 95 Toyota Celica, I was quoted close to $700 by two different mechanics.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:18 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Replace the struts and the mounts.

It calls for 2.4 hours for both fronts and the same for both rears.

The alignment needs to be 4-wheel and not just a 2-wheel alignment.

The price quoted covers overhead, something that you don't have to worry about.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM

11 posts, read 32,126 times
Thank all of you for your insights and information on brands, shop costs, and alignments. My car has struts not shocks. If it did it have shocks instead it would be a lot easier & cheaper I would think. The car is rated to tow 1500 pounds, but with bad struts it doesn't seem like a good idea at this point.

Because of the city where I live (which I am leaving in less than 2 wks) and the generally poor reputation a high percentage of business have here (which the local population seems to just accept as the way it is) I have decided to ship the stuff (Greyhound/Busfreighter is very reasonable) I was going to carry in the car. After I arrive in WA I will use the information you have provided to get the struts fixed there or fix them myself. Sadly, it's been my experience here in baja AZ not to trust businesses who have any form of perceived power over the customer for they will use it. I've never seen anything like it. Bizarre and sad. After 3.5 years here I am done.

The first shop which I returned to who upped the cost of the rear shocks by $400(!) was still going to replace the entire assembly. Needless to say I didn't let them touch my car. I mean really! Going from a $480 bid to over $800 with lame excuses and not looking me in the eye is ridiculous. Pretty typical here.

Again, thank you all for your insights. Very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion