Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM

1,945 posts, read 7,341,707 times

Advertisements

Hi, Camry with 180k miles. "Just" got 50k mile Fisk Classic tires which lasted til now. Got about 40k out of them. They are practilly screaming now on the road when I drive. I carefully maintain this car. Have regular rotations etc.

Here is the dilemma. Before I got the Fisk Classics, I had BF Goodrich Precept Tourings, liked them fine went for almost the full 80k. Went back to Discount Tires when I needed new ones, and of course they don't make/carry the BF Goodrich's. So I was steered to the Fisk Classics.

Now I need new tires!! Unsure what to get. Looked at the Discount TIre website. The Michellin Destiny's seemed nice, favorable reviews, they are $102.00 per tire.

Are the Michellin Destiny's good? Recommended? Or should I look at something else??

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,256,104 times
Check out the Khumo ECSTA ASX All Season or the Continental ContiExtremeContact. What tire size does the Camry have?

Old 08-12-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks Cat, the size is 205/65-15.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,945,052 times
These are probably inline of what you're looking for ...

Yokohama AVID TOURING-S

Kumho Solus KR21

General Altimax RT

Old 08-13-2010, 04:45 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,871,199 times
I got Riken Raptors for the front tires on my Aura. So far so good. They were made in Indonesia by Michelin or a subsidiary thereof, can't remember which. I'll get some for the back before long, 102K on the original Hankooks. I got 95K out of the original front Hankooks, though they should have been replaced at 85K or so.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM

5,250 posts, read 4,639,824 times
Yokohama Avid Touring are the best I've ever had, got 74 thousand on the last set, just got new ones for under 500.00.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi, Camry with 180k miles. "Just" got 50k mile Fisk Classic tires which lasted til now. Got about 40k out of them. They are practilly screaming now on the road when I drive. I carefully maintain this car. Have regular rotations etc.

Here is the dilemma. Before I got the Fisk Classics, I had BF Goodrich Precept Tourings, liked them fine went for almost the full 80k. Went back to Discount Tires when I needed new ones, and of course they don't make/carry the BF Goodrich's. So I was steered to the Fisk Classics.

Now I need new tires!! Unsure what to get. Looked at the Discount TIre website. The Michellin Destiny's seemed nice, favorable reviews, they are $102.00 per tire.

Are the Michellin Destiny's good? Recommended? Or should I look at something else??

Thanks!!!
http://productcat.bridgestonetire.com/exports/pp_1298093.pdf (broken link) Bridgestone list this in the performance section locally at $111 for your tire size. On the low end of the Bridgestone/Firestone you have several good options. Search for Tires & Tire Discounts | Firestone Complete Auto Care#
for $90 or Search for Tires & Tire Discounts | Firestone Complete Auto Care# for $91 or Search for Tires & Tire Discounts | Firestone Complete Auto Care# for $113. I have the Affinity Touring on my 2003 Malibu and they work very well. However, I'm not a fast driver at all. I lock my cruise control at the posted speed limit and don't do hard corning. On my car, the tires sound quiet compared to some tires I've had in the past.

The tire below is Bridgestone's low rolling resistance tire for saving gas. It has a size to fit your car for $105 Search for Tires & Tire Discounts | Firestone Complete Auto Care#

Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 PM

Thanks everyone. Thought I needed new tires. Not sure what is going on. Took the car back to Discount Tire today- time for a rotation, and balance. The DT people did not seem to think I needed new tires, nothing was mentioned. Still hear the ground like sound when driving especially between 30-40 miles, and again at about 60 miles. I just assumed it was the tires. Not feeling the vibration as much.

This whole tire thing came up because at the time of my last roation, 6K ago, everything was fine. Just regular scheduled rotation time. I left Discount Tire, the second I drove the car off the lot and made a turn onto the street I knew something was wrong. The steering wheel was vibrating wildly. Took the car right back, turned out the lugs had not been tightened enough. That's what my hubby thought at least.

Didn't think anything else about it. Then maybe 5 - 7 days if that, later. I was driving with the windows up, and I thought "Wow, the car seems so loud." Had to roll down the windows to minimize the vibration and sort of a ground awareness sound. Never noticed that before. Maybe because I typically drive with the windows down and the radio on. Also just attributed the sound to varying street surfaces.

Still didn't think it was the tires. Went in to the dealer for my reg. scheduled oil change. They mentioned loosely that I may want to think about getting new tires the next scheduled oil change which brought this whole tire saga more to the forefront.

So now I don't know if I need new tires, or if it is something else. There is still tread on the tires, I don't know!!!

Thanks to all who have responded on this thread.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:58 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,379,066 times
You might want to read this article and then check the age of your tires. This site also has some good info on road noise tires and when you should change your tires.
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire

Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
You might want to read this article and then check the age of your tires. This site also has some good info on road noise tires and when you should change your tires.
Tire Tech Information - Determining the Age of a Tire
Thanks Sailordave. Appreciate the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion