Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of Toyotas in the used cars section of dealers. I still don't trust them after the news about how so many people had problems with their cars not being able to stop when they pressed the brake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 10:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I see a lot of Toyotas in the used cars section of dealers. I still don't trust them after the news about how so many people had problems with their cars not being able to stop when they pressed the brake.
Oh lord.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
My wife has a 2010 Camry. It stops whenever I push on the break pedal. She has had it 9 months, has had 2 oil changes and 1 tire pressure sensor replaced. The goal is to get 10 years of good service out of it. 12,000 miles into owning it, it seems to be a reasonable goal.

Old 09-22-2012, 04:06 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
I am against the Asian Auto Manufactors for many reasons. But they do make very good vehicles.
I think you can get a bad car from any manufactor these days. Even though problems are way down, most new dealer service depts do about 15% warranty work or less, if they do get a problem it is usually super tough to figure out. Complex electrical and computer problems.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The Toyota forums have many complaints about the latest version of the Camry.
Can you please post a link? I am not doubting you. I just want to do some research on this car as it is in my finalist list.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
My husband and I are thinking of getting rid of our 2008 Camry. We bought used. It had very low miles around the 18k mark if I recall. Interior was perfect and over all the car felt new. After owning it almost 3 yrs I have to say Im not super impressed. Sure the interior is pretty plain but what really bugs me is the exterior. The car really is starting to look beat up. Any slight rock that hits the car leaves a good scratch or dent. I always get a bit depressed washing it. There is always a new ding to discover. Our 2004 Taurus seems to have a better paint job. I knew the car was starting to looked aged when my neighbor seemed surprised it was a 08.

Then add the fact we have had the brakes replaced twice. It only has 43k miles on it. So we have put roughly 25k miles on it. I dunno, seems excessive to me and both times it was rather expensive. The last time they told us the calipers were bent. I work from home so the car is not driven much. We are faithful with oil changes and on our last one we were told the car needs a 4 wheel alignment to the tune of 400 dollars. Maybe I am naive. Maybe this is just regular maintenance but I dont remember getting that many brake jobs on a car before in such a short period of time. It still drives nice and is comfortable but just seems like a lot of repairs. The trunk set up is kind of useless. Although you can fold the seats down, there is a very narrow opening from the trunk, on the pass through. I guess it could be worse but just dont get that warm and fuzzy feeling for the car. For a basic sedan seems to need a lot of babying.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Japanese marques in particular seem famous for hopelessly thin paint. Every time I breathe on my Mitsubishi, paint flecks blow off.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I rented a '12 Camry LE yesterday for a long road trip. Overall the car feels really well made, and is smooth and quite on the highway. The body seems really tight, no rattles or squeaks when going over bumps. The Entune info center is nice.

My only complaint with it so far is the bottom two spokes of the steering wheel have hard plastic inserts, and when you rub your thumb over them they'll make a squeaking noise, but that's fairly minor.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
LMFAO, just keep the dang floor mat from piling up under the brake peddel an ya'll be fine, oh yea the peddel on the right is the gas, the one on the left is the brake.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
LMFAO, just keep the dang floor mat from piling up under the brake peddel an ya'll be fine, oh yea the peddel on the right is the gas, the one on the left is the brake.
Thats funny! But really, I'm going shopping for a car, and the first place I picked happened to be an autoplex and they have toyotas there. just wonderin if i should trust them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion