Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 01:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
No 3/4 or 1 ton, but if your looking for a 1/2 ion truck you cold do a lot worse, then again the tacoma's or good also and they hold there value good if you trade it in a few years.
yeah but look at ford with the F-150 it has to be one of the best 1/2 tons out there from price, performnce/towing/hauling and reliability standpoint thats why they are the number #1 selling half-ton in north america while toyota comes in 4th behind the Dodge Ram 1500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
driving a supercharged '98 Taco right now...it works 'okay' for towing my enclosed moto trailer, but I really want something with a larger bed and better towing capability...along with more room in the cab etc.

I thought I'd heard the Tundra would have a diesel option in the next couple years...it's a shame they don't put out a Tacoma diesel...

For my needs, I don't need an 'industrial strength' diesel for towing big stuff

Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times
Well if you want the gutless 5.4 I say go for it, course they have a tubo v-6 that suppose to be pretty strong, corse if I was gona spend all that kinda money I'd just buy the 5.7 have the dealer install the toyota factory turbo and run with the 600hp beast under full Toyota factory warranty, cause it might be a Toyota, but with that kinda power I gota believ somethan is gona break.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:28 PM

Well Toyota sell plenty of little small diesel trucks just like your talking about, unfortunately no in the USA. They are popular and bullet proof they would rip the guts out of the domestic truck market.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
well I heard the 1gen Tundra iForce V8s were blowing out the bottom ends with the TRD supercharger, so they stopped producing them for that motor.

The unit on my 3.4L V6 has a pre-ignition knock/ping that Toyota couldn't fix, which really ticks me off. I could spend another $1-2k in aftermarket parts to address the problem, but screw that...

Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 PM

That's my thoughts exactly, when a vehicle starts having mechanical problems that go in the 1,000's of dollars I get rid of it and start over,

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
yeah but look at ford with the F-150 it has to be one of the best 1/2 tons out there from price, performnce/towing/hauling and reliability standpoint thats why they are the number #1 selling half-ton in north america while toyota comes in 4th behind the Dodge Ram 1500
It is 4th by a landslide as well. Ford is still #1 and has been for many years. Never the less, I would drive a Dodge or a Chevy for HD use also. The Toyotas are just that.... a toy for little boys! lol

Quote:
Well if you want the gutless 5.4 I say go for it, course they have a tubo v-6 that suppose to be pretty strong, corse if I was gona spend all that kinda money I'd just buy the 5.7 have the dealer install the toyota factory turbo and run with the 600hp beast under full Toyota factory warranty, cause it might be a Toyota, but with that kinda power I gota believ somethan is gona break.
Gutless 5.4? Hardly, and at least its power is where you need and want it. Not to mention the bank vault frame on them. Horsepower don't mean shyt on a truck anyway. That is unless you wanna race it with your groceries in the back from the supermarket to your house? Remember reading the Ugly Duckling when you were a kid? You roll up to a jobsite with a Toyota when the field is full of Ford, Dodge and Chevy and you will be the laughing joke of the day. And you will be the only one!

Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Gutless 5.4? Hardly, and at least its power is where you need and want it. Not to mention the bank vault frame on them. Horsepower don't mean shyt on a truck anyway. That is unless you wanna race it with your groceries in the back from the supermarket to your house? Remember reading the Ugly Duckling when you were a kid? You roll up to a jobsite with a Toyota when the field is full of Ford, Dodge and Chevy and you will be the laughing joke of the day. And you will be the only one![/quote]

Just don't make the mistake of going to a crazy Redneck party and hooking bumpers up to the 5.7l beast or yall go for a ride. Man they got a pile of Toyotas on the job site's I go on, many working as service trucks, naw there holding there own, heck don't be a hater, there the reason you got the 6 spd trans and the 6.2L back, course they better, cause I heard the next generation is gona be direct injection pumping out 450+ hp and 30mpg change is a coming, if you got a descent truck now is a good time to hold on, plenty of new thangs fixing to hit the market, bout time someone woke the truck market up.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My brother inlaw was given a new 2010 by his bosss. He always drove chevy trucks;but he say he loves the truck.I drove it all I can say is its very powerful and ride smooth.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Quote:
Gutless 5.4? Hardly, and at least its power is where you need and want it. Not to mention the bank vault frame on them. Horsepower don't mean shyt on a truck anyway. That is unless you wanna race it with your groceries in the back from the supermarket to your house? Remember reading the Ugly Duckling when you were a kid? You roll up to a jobsite with a Toyota when the field is full of Ford, Dodge and Chevy and you will be the laughing joke of the day. And you will be the only one!
Just don't make the mistake of going to a crazy Redneck party and hooking bumpers up to the 5.7l beast or yall go for a ride. Man they got a pile of Toyotas on the job site's I go on, many working as service trucks, naw there holding there own, heck don't be a hater, there the reason you got the 6 spd trans and the 6.2L back, course they better, cause I heard the next generation is gona be direct injection pumping out 450+ hp and 30mpg change is a coming, if you got a descent truck now is a good time to hold on, plenty of new thangs fixing to hit the market, bout time someone woke the truck market up.[/quote] They don't make 3/4 or 1 ton trucks which is what I drive! That is also diesels by the way. Who is gonna pull who? lol

Last edited by Axle grease; 09-23-2010 at 07:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion