Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:56 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I don't think driving a typical Toyota is any worse than driving those big boats you seem to love so much. Bottom line is i wouldn't buy either of them because they are all awful to drive.
That's right; you think but you don't know for sure.

If you were to drive any or all of my four cars, you would possibly change your mind.

As I always say, better to drive a "boat" than a soulless econobox!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 04:04 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
Toyota has been all over the news the past few years for recalls, yet we haven't really heard how many have been recalled in total. Cheersandgears.com put together this list that includes the date, recall description, and number recalled for every Toyota product worldwide since 2005. The grand total: 25 million Toyotas have been recalled in the last five years.

Edit: apparently there has been one more recall since this list was compiled. The new one is in bold.

Recalling Toyota's Recalls: Over 14 million Vehicles recalled in the past 12 months. - Cheers & Gears Forums

Compare your Toyota recall stats with Ford's recall stats and your next car might be a Toyota

Old 11-06-2010, 06:46 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
25 million is not average; even Ford with its big recall of 1994-2002 trucks/SUVs for the cruise control switch doesn't come anywhere close to 25 million in the last five years.

Recalls are not good; they eat into the bottom line, and when you're Toyota with another month of sales losses, that ain't good. Ford, Hyundai, and GM are eating Toyota's lunch.
And don't forget about profits as Toyota's profits for the quarter ending in September were among the strongest the car maker has ever recorded, guess they wont need a bail out anytime soon.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Last July I traded in a Chevy for a Toyota. One of the best auto-related decisions I've ever made in my life! I'll never buy a Chevrolet again. Between the poor quality and the Govt handouts, it's simply not a product that I'll consider.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:47 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Toyota recalled very few cars in the 80s and early 90s.

Makes a body wonder what has happened to quality.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:18 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
You want to scare yourself? Look up TSB's on American vehicles. You'll go down the list going WTH things like this should have been recalled. Talk to mechanics, they give you lists of known defects on American cars. I have Toyota & GM vehicles. The GM vehicles have been more times to the shop than the Toyotas (and the Toyotas have the higher mileages).

Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Toyota recalled very few cars in the 80s and early 90s.

Makes a body wonder what has happened to quality.
Nothing. Quality is identical. The Japanese were very good at quiet recalls, where they'd simply fix a car when it came in for routine service. Honda was very good at that in the '80s, when I was working for them. Mitsubishi got in trouble for covering that up for years. But they all did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
You want to scare yourself? Look up TSB's on American vehicles.
TSBs are not recalls. Let's get that straight. TSBs, (Technical Servcice Bulletins) are like extra pages for, say, your Haynes or Chiltons manual, except for dealer service techs and their factory service manuals.

Just because a Haynes manual for a car has information on how to repair every part of your car, doesn't mean you need to repair every part of your car. It merely shows you how to do it if you need to get to that part. Same for TSBs. In many cases, it's an update on the best way to service a vehicle. Tips and tricks found once a vehicle is actually being serviced, rather then designed. And they HAVE to cover every single component of a car, just like the factory service manual was supposed to.

Recalls are something else entirely.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:20 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Nothing.
TSBs are not recalls. Let's get that straight. TSBs, (Technical Servcice Bulletins) are like extra pages for, say, your Haynes or Chiltons manual, except for dealer service techs and their factory service manuals.

Just because a Haynes manual for a car has information on how to repair every part of your car, doesn't mean you need to repair every part of your car. It merely shows you how to do it if you need to get to that part. Same for TSBs. In many cases, it's an update on the best way to service a vehicle. Tips and tricks found once a vehicle is actually being serviced, rather then designed. And they HAVE to cover every single component of a car, just like the factory service manual was supposed to.

Recalls are something else entirely.

TSBs are also issued in recognition of pattern failures and contain specific procedures to make the repairs. Most include part numbers and labor times.

They may also be issued for updated information such as an improved trans fluid or an updated part number.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:22 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
TSBs are also issued in recognition of pattern failures and contain specific procedures to make the repairs. Most include part numbers and labor times.

They may also be issued for updated information such as an improved trans fluid or an updated part number.
Which is pretty much what I said. They are very different than recalls.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Toyota had a clear quality advantage for a while and you pay a premium for that. This is why they are VERY sensitive about anything that tarnishes that reputation.

However, in recent years Toyota's quality has slipped a bit while most every other manufacturer has improved. Are they still the quality leader? Probably....but the gap isn't quite so big and there is a lot of competion so is it worth the "premium"?

Why has their quality slipped?
1. New models, have to work through the bugs.
2. New production lines and centers due to having to make more cars...ditto with working out the bugs.
3. More features. When you have power nothing and make cars in a couple colors there isn't a lot that can go wrong with a car. Now you see more with the heated seats, sun roof, power windows etc etc.

There is a plethora of available quality rating information out there that backs this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion