U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:36 PM

28,211 posts, read 47,618,622 times

Advertisements

I just wonder if we will ever be able to trust Toyota again after all these crashes?

SALT LAKE CITY Police suspect problems with a Toyota Camry's accelerator or floor mat caused a Utah crash that killed two people and injured two others, raising new concerns about the safety of the vehicles.

Paul Vanalfen's 2008 Camry slammed into a rock wall in Wendover on Nov. 5, killing him and passenger Charlene Lloyd.

Toyota safety in spotlight after fatal Utah crash - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101115/ap_on_bi_ge/us_runaway_camry - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,602,771 times
How sad. If you look at the pic of the car on the news release, the crash looks survivable. However, according to the police, both the driver & front passenger weren't wearing their seat belts :/

Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,360,014 times
UA strikes again. More lives lost thanks to corporate arrogance and unethical decisions on the part of Toyota management.

Another article released today stated that Toyota's current US marketshare is down to 15.2% from a high a of 17% in 2009. Watch it drop to 12 or 13% if the courts rule in favor of the victims and consumers affected by UA.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,840,826 times
I don't know, there isn't enough information there for anyone to assume this is a incident involving UA. They could of fallen asleep, or any one of a hundred other scenarios. It could go either way.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,459,221 times
how about just plain 'ol driver error? Like texting, yapping on the phone, not paying attention, drugs etc etc? If they refused to wear seatbelts its a pretty safe assumption that they were not careful drivers. Still sad tho.. No one deserves to die like that..

Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 AM

780 posts, read 2,245,936 times
I agree with most, not enough data to form an opinion.

As much as I dislike Toyota, the accident should not be so prematurely concluded. The write-up makes it sound worse and there is no proof that floor mat was to blame. Even if it was, it could happen to any other make.

The one thing that I don't get is that ***IF*** it was a problem of runaway vehicle due to stuck accelerator, shifting to neutral solves the problem. What gives ? I hate to say this, but are people in general that dumb ?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:09 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,018,108 times
The highway patrolman is speculating at this point, hardly cause to start another panic. As the case with many senior citizens, it sounds to me as though the driver may have mistakenly stepped on the accelerator when he meant to step on the brake. Surviving family members will probably counter that in order to garner a lawsuit against Toyota for big bucks though.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,316,580 times
Not wearing your seatbelt is just not smart, and will preclude any other fault in this incident imo.

One one hand, yes, Toyotas now have the specter of being unreliable and accelerating, but there is also a huge amount of evidence that previous Toyota acceleration incidents were in fact driver error, and this type of driver error is common to all types of cars. Plus, the driver was 66 years old, and lots of old people drive Camrys and make mistakes driving as they age, so its hard to say.

And I'm not saying only old people would make mistakes driving either - just this past Monday I watched a young kid in a new Camry almost wreck as he was pulling out of a gas station - unintended acceleration, or not paying attention?

Given the layout of that road where the accident happened, I suspect that the driver was cruising at 70 on the highway, took the offramp, misjudged his speed and distance, panicked, locked up the brakes, and torpedoed into the wall on the other side of the intersection.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:19 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,459,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Not wearing your seatbelt is just not smart, and will preclude any other fault in this incident imo.

One one hand, yes, Toyotas now have the specter of being unreliable and accelerating, but there is also a huge amount of evidence that previous Toyota acceleration incidents were in fact driver error, and this type of driver error is common to all types of cars. Plus, the driver was 66 years old, and lots of old people drive Camrys and make mistakes driving as they age, so its hard to say.

And I'm not saying only old people would make mistakes driving either - just this past Monday I watched a young kid in a new Camry almost wreck as he was pulling out of a gas station - unintended acceleration, or not paying attention?
actually.. Not ONE case was found that an accelerator was stuck. Every case examined was driver caused.. Every one..

Old 11-16-2010, 07:28 AM

3,743 posts, read 11,316,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
actually.. Not ONE case was found that an accelerator was stuck. Every case examined was driver caused.. Every one..
Actually, there was one case - the one that started the whole thing in California, at least that was the NHTSA ruling. That's it though. At any rate, I find it hardly plausible that the car would be fine on the highway, and develop sudden acceleration on the offramp suddenly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or