Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times

Advertisements

looking at the cost fo used tacomas and tundras, it's obvious that tacomas hold their value but the tundras don't, why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 09:00 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
The Tundra isn't as popular as the Tacoma. The Tundra is too big, and guzzles gas. The average Joe Redneck wouldn't be caught dead in a Tundra even though if a behemoth truck is NEEDED, the Tundra is the best. Toyota has great customer loyalty, and the average Tacoma owner realizes any truck bigger that a Tacoma is a waste, so they stay with Tacomas. The Tacoma is the best truck on the market, is the perfect size, and is the most reliable truck you can buy.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
i'm wondering the same thing, as i compare these vehicles. tacomas are very expensive.

i am thinking that the tacoma has a better reputation, and people still see the tundra as questionable, like a new product. i don't think that "common" perception is accurate, though. i am looking at 05-06 for both trucks, and i think in those two years a tundra might be the more reliable pick. as far as gas goes... maybe that's a perception too. the v6 Tacoma doesn't look like it is very efficient on fuel.

Last edited by le roi; 11-28-2010 at 06:50 AM..

Old 11-28-2010, 12:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Simply put, delusions of grandeur. The Tacoma is a great truck but certainly not worth what typical owners think they are. I have also always noticed how stubborn owners are on their selling price and yet they never can never sell it. Just track an outrageously priced one on craigslist or ebay. They just stay there and get relisted time and time again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The average Joe Redneck wouldn't be caught dead in a Tundra even though if a behemoth truck is NEEDED, the Tundra is the best.
What do you tow? Rowboats? Certainly not best in the class of "behemoth" trucks.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,858,753 times
Yep as far as half ton trucks go it's a behemouth with a 10,000# tow capacity a rocket v8 that's second to none.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'm wondering the same thing, as i compare these vehicles. tacomas are very expensive.

i am thinking that the tacoma has a better reputation, and people still see the tundra as questionable, like a new product. i don't think that "common" perception is accurate, though. i am looking at 05-06 for both trucks, and i think in those two years a tundra might be the more reliable pick. as far as gas goes... maybe that's a perception too. the v6 Tacoma doesn't look like it is very efficient on fuel.

You gotta' admit, when the Tundra had those snapping camshafts in their engines a few years back, that could not have helped their values.

Smaller Toyota trucks have ALWAYS been awfully inflated in terms of resale.

There will always be some douche selling a 10-15 year old Toyota Pickup full of dents for $4000, so that naturally carries over to the more modern Tacoma...even with those composite beds that just cracked out of nowhere.

Yeesh, me canning on sellers who hit the crack pipe made it looks like I hate those trucks...not the case.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I had a 2000 Tundra SR5 ext cabin V8 4wd back in 2007. It had 94K when I bought it, very nice condition, highly loaded with everything except leather interior and I paid $9500 for it, which was a steal apparently because they (the 2000 models) are still selling for that around here, 4 years later)... the Tacomas are way up there too... overpriced in my opinion. The T100 is even higher priced... yet it has a fairly low powered V6 engine, even the 3.4L it was not a powerhouse.

Now the thing with the early Tacomas (1995-2000) is frame rust, especially the northern models... there was even a recall on them... those not rusted yet, its only a matter of time, even in the south, but still people are eager to pay $8000 for a 1996 Tacoma 4wd. Our local Toyota dealer even has/had a 2004 Tacoma with a rusty frame on the lot... I noticed a sticker on the window, it was originally from Ohio, so that explained the frame rust. It was a heavy scale and someone had sprayed over it with paint. Ugh.

A good condition 95-97 T100 around here... a 4wd model is still bringing around $5000-8000 on average (even with 150K+ miles). I love these trucks, but I am not paying that much for an old truck.

I sold my Tundra because @ the time I really could not afford the payment, gas and full-coverage insurance so I sold it for what I paid for it.... $9500, which was too cheap I guess. Same night I advertised, I had about 13 phone calls. I drove it to work the next morning, a couple was there waiting on me, they bought it on the spot, no questions asked for my asking price... I then knew I had underpriced it and should have at least asked $11000 for it. It had 101K when I sold it.

I miss it... someday I would like to find another 2000-2003 Tundra or a 95-97 T100.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
You gotta' admit, when the Tundra had those snapping camshafts in their engines a few years back, that could not have helped their values.
true, but that was on a Tundra engine made after 2007, when i'm seeing very low prices for 05-06 Tundras. i guess the general fear & uncertainty can affect values, and i think you see the same thing with the 2005-2006 Tacoma electronic throttle issue, where an older-style 2004 is more expensive than a comparable 2005.

hell i see 2003-2004 Tacomas cheaper than 2005-2006 Tundras. i just saw a 2004 Tacoma listed at $16,000 with 120,000 miles. i think these people are nuts.

Quote:
Smaller Toyota trucks have ALWAYS been awfully inflated in terms of resale.

There will always be some douche selling a 10-15 year old Toyota Pickup full of dents for $4000, so that naturally carries over to the more modern Tacoma...even with those composite beds that just cracked out of nowhere.

Yeesh, me canning on sellers who hit the crack pipe made it looks like I hate those trucks...not the case.
me too.. i like the trucks but there are better bargains to be found.

one of the best truck bargains out there for long-term reliability might be the FJ Cruiser.. built in japan, on a 4runner/tacoma frame, and cheap because it is so ugly.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
The Tundra isn't as popular as the Tacoma. The Tundra is too big, and guzzles gas. The average Joe Redneck wouldn't be caught dead in a Tundra even though if a behemoth truck is NEEDED, the Tundra is the best.
No, if a behemoth truck is NEEDED, the Tundra falls way short as it isn't available in a 2500/3500 series or larger. I'v eseen Tundras pulling 5th wheel trailers, up to about 28-30 ft:

But for the big stuff, a half ton truck won't cut it.

http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage/70/376647/008.JPG (broken link)

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
While the Tacoma has long been king of the small truck crowd, the Tundra was never really taken seriously until the 2007 redesign and even then it was hampered with the engine issues in that year. Basically Tundra's from 2000-2006 are simply not as good as the Big Three's trucks from those years and never really caught on. While they offered similar size in later model years, they were always behind on towing capacity (Tacomas from 2004-2006 were rated at about 85% capacity of the Tundra) leading a lot of people to refer to them as "7/8ths scale trucks". Weaker resale values on those models is simply reflective of the fact that as a full size truck they just weren't as good as the competition. The older T100's were even worse off in that department and really weren't full sized trucks.

The Tacoma has always led the small and midsize truck market in features, content and design. They are quite simply the best small pickup IMO and I'm a domestic truck guy. Their quality and popularity combined with the offroad reputation of the older Hilux/Toyota Pickups made them very popular and they hold their value very well.

As far as whether or not they are worth it, that's a different matter. In short Tundra's before 2007 weren't much more than upsized Tacomas. Stepping up to them had drawbacks (fuel economy) and not much added utility outside of size since the tow ratings were very close. Since the vast majority of Toyota truck buyers are using them as personal city vehicles, the Tacoma makes a lot more sense than a Tundra. I don't personally think used Tacomas are really worth the asking price, but they are very much in demand and people tend to hold on to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion