Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 12:03 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
GM and Chrysler are government owned. Nothing like trying to embarrass and insult the #1 brand on bull****.
You are implying that this a US Government created consiparacy. That somehow the auto bailouts has something to do with this. What would happen if you learned that this issue existed before the auto bailouts and outside of the US? How many holes does that put in your beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 06:13 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Must of been a fluke (or possibly isolated issue) because from what I understand the 4Runner tends to be pretty solid.
Toyota takes care of the problem under recall, so it should not be an issue. Other automobile manufacturers do the same to correct problems.

I remember when Toyota was trying to figure if it was the electronics or the floor mats causing the acceleration problem. Back then I had a 2009 Forester (Subaru), and when Toyota told the dealers to check the floor mats of all the Toyota vehicles, Subaru did the same. I took my Forester for an scheduled maintenance, and part of the visual inspection was to make sure that the floor mats were properly installed and that there weren't but one set of the correct floor mats installed on the car.

Both Toyota and Subaru have floor-mat hooks on the floor at the base of the driver's sea. While it's a little easier for one to remove this floor mat from the Subaru, it's extremely difficult to do so at least on my Wife's 2010 Rav 4. It take a lot of bending of the matt to unhook on the Rav 4.

Now, some people were placing rubberized and other mats over the factory one, and these didn't require using the hooks. Regardless, stacking mats like this is a bad idea. The lower end of the original gas pedal in a lot of these Toyota automobiles were quite close to the matt, so it's very possible that an additional floor matt pushed forward unintentionally over the pedal could be a problem.

I believe that Toyota recalled the affected vehicles and replace the gas pedals with another type (??).

Old 02-12-2011, 07:22 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post

I believe that Toyota recalled the affected vehicles and replace the gas pedals with another type (??).
Yes they did. In the future use the word "effected" instead of "affected."

Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Yes they did. In the future use the word "effected" instead of "affected."
He used the proper word. The cars were "affected" by the problem.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:09 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Do you work for Fox news? Did you miss the fact the ES that was out of control had the WRONG floormats. Did you miss the fact the dealer will be in court for it, not Toyota.

Toyota for decades has proven they build some of the best cars and do more voluntary recalls.

Whats funny is if you look at percentages, some other brands have a higher complaint rate of "unintended acceleration".

GM and Chrysler are government owned. Nothing like trying to embarrass and insult the #1 brand on bull****.

They were cleared. So just stop.
No where in any of my posts did I say it was anything but a floormat that caused the issue with the troopers ES. What I simply pointed out was why Toyota was fined and why Toyota's were susceptible to harder to control unintended acceleration do to lack of certain common safety features that they are now adding.

As for the recall thing, actually being in the industry, it would probably surprise you to find out that GM of all the mainstream companies easily has one of the best track records for recalls and solutions. As a whole, the American and even German companies are far better than the Asian companies when it comes to addressing problems and issuing recalls.

While the NHTSA documented complaint rate for unintended acceleration was no higher on Toyota vehicles, there was a plethora of internal Toyota documentation related to the issue that they systemetically ignored, again that was why they were fined.

As for the rest, yes it was a vast government conspiracy to discredit Toyota.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:18 AM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Well...it's time for me to live up to my promise. I said that if substantial evidence could be presented to vindicate the electronics, I would say that I was wrong. So here it comes. Ready for it?

I was wrong.

Feel better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As for the rest, yes it was a vast government conspiracy to discredit Toyota.
Oh, please. You're giving them WAY too much credit. The government is incapable of doing anything without spending trillions of dollars. They are not even in the right galaxy of thought to try to come up with something like this.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:02 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Oh, please. You're giving them WAY too much credit. The government is incapable of doing anything without spending trillions of dollars. They are not even in the right galaxy of thought to try to come up with something like this.
It was sarcasm. I've spent the better part of this thread trying to inform the Toyota fanboys that even though the electronics were vindicated there were still multiple issues that were uncovered and Toyota is not an automotive saint.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:14 PM

890 posts, read 3,701,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
It was sarcasm. I've spent the better part of this thread trying to inform the Toyota fanboys that even though the electronics were vindicated there were still multiple issues that were uncovered and Toyota is not an automotive saint.
Ah...my bad. One forum I'm on uses red text to indicate sarcasm so I'm conditioned to only see sarcasm when I see red text. Otherwise it just flies past unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion