Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 AM

19,027 posts, read 27,585,087 times

Advertisements

And how in the world did you see anything bursting out of transfer case, as deep as it's hidden underneath the vehicle? The only thing that can burst out of it is fluid, and if it's gone - it stopped bursting and you start looking at new transfer case soon. Very soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 07:58 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Newer cars can have as many as 80 different computers on 3 different local area networks. An upscale car can have all sorts of "wiz-bang" systems. 3rd party mechanics are not going to have the software tools, training, or access to factory technical advice that a factory dealer would.

Take it to a dealer repair facility!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx7953 View Post
I would be interested to hear from mechanics on what they think...

Took in a Lexus GX470 SUV to be repaired at a shop that specializes in Japanese cars. The check engine light, traction control, and one other had come on. The car still ran, but I wanted to get these taken care of. The shop called and said its $1500 and is a sensor. No problem, please repair. (Why is it always $1500 to repair a sensor?!)

Leaving the shop we notice that its riding incredibly bad. I turn around and take it back to leave with them again. The problem is that one of the air-ride shocks apparently now has holes in it. This was not an issue prior to us taking it in...at all.

About 2 weeks later I'm having issues with the car starting. The batter checks out so I'm onto the cables and then the starter.

My question is this: is this really just bad luck OR did the shop pull and poke on all kinds of wires when they were replacing the sensors caused the issue with the air-ride shock and now the vehicle starting?

I'm not a mechanic so it may just be coincidence, but it sure seems odd.
I have owned my repair shop for almost 35 years. If a shock or strut is fixing to fail, it is not unheard of for it to do so because the vehicle was put on a lift and full extension of the shock or strut triggered its failure. This makes the shop look bad, but it is not really their fault. For one example, twice we have put a Honda CRV on the lift for oil and filter or something entirely unrelated to suspension. Test drive the SUV afterwards and it is about undriveable due to a seized strut.

Not nearly enough information to comment comprehensively on the other issues. What "sensor?" $1500 is VERY high for most sensors -- maybe more than one? It is normal for the traction control lights to come on when there is a check engine light. This is by design. Starting problems? More information needed -- does it crank OK but no start? Or does it not crank properly?

Years have experiencing have taught me this: What appears to be cause and effect can be, but often is not. This could be shop's error or maybe not. I would not blame the shop at this time, and certainly not without letting them have another look at it. A good shop will want you to let them have another look at things and will be disappointed if you do not give them the opportunity for a recheck.

Don in Austin

Old 01-25-2014, 04:56 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times
Ahem!

This is a three-year old thread.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:48 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,590,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Ahem!

This is a three-year old thread.
Guess my advice won't be very useful then....

Old 01-26-2014, 02:56 AM

1,617 posts, read 5,674,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Guess my advice won't be very useful then....
It's still good info though.

I just hate to see anyone go to too much trouble answering this.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times
Lexus SUV 470 just had the 100000 mile maintenance done (not at the dealer) How do I cancel out the light on dash ? Thanks

Old 01-07-2015, 01:30 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,307,360 times
The gx470 shares many of it's parts with the Toyota 4runner, inculding it's engine, transfer case and air suspension. You could bring it to any Toyota dealer and they can diagnose and repair it for cheaper prices than the Lexus dealer.

Just a heads up in the case of the traction control things can get very expensive quick, $1500 for a sensor is outrageous. Run from that shop.

What year and how many miles??

Old 01-07-2015, 03:28 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
$1500 for a sensor. And the car still drove fine?

And you didn't think to take it to another shop for a second opinion?

Old 01-07-2015, 05:29 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Wow. I would demand to see the old part that was replaced. Point out the new part and then show me the book rate for replacement of that part. Dealer should be able to give you a over the phone price on the replacement of the part if you know the part that was "replaced". You'll know if you got taken.. Remember by law you are allowed to ask for your old parts back. I go as far as telling them to show me the part. I have never had a mechanic refuse to do that. I know some sensors are expensive but 1500 seems excessive for one sensor
Sorry man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion