Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
My posting got deleted because of "off topic". Well I will post it again and add my opinion of the Camry.
Buy American!
If I compare the Camry and it's interior to a Ford or Chevy I can only say that it's not as great. I stick with Ford and buy American cars.
It isn't that simple. A lot of Toyotas are built in the United States and a lot American car company vehicles are not. Many Ford vehicles, for example, are now built in Mexico. Similarly, the amount of American-made parts in a given vehicle may be quite different than the badge on the front. I have one American vehicle that has more foreign-made parts--including the engine, fuel injectios system and transmission (Germany and Japan)--than it does American-made parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Just to clarify, the girls aunt drove a 2012 Camry and thought it was cheap plastic crap. She called yesterday and is now driving a 2011 Fusion SE. According to her there was no comparison as the Fusion was a much better built car. It rides better and is far quieter according to her. It also came with a lot of bells and buttons that the Camry didn't have unless you wanted to dig deeper in the wallet. She's happy with her choice.
I had a Fusion as a rental car and HATED it. Different strokes....

Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Bottom of the pile by who? A bunch of butthurt internet Neanderthals? People love the Camry in person and in comparisons its always fared well. Hell this POS Camry being talked about won a MT comparo against the new "second coming" Sonata, Fusion etc

Best-Selling Midsize Family Sedan Comparison - Motor Trend

What I am saying is a bunch of internet trolling (not accusing you of it) and Toyotas on the internet is now how the public thinks. The public loves the CAmry, they buy the old one, they buy the new one even with some great competition.

And sorry but the Altima while looking like a Lexus, has the build quality of a chinese napkin. Its horrible.
Car and Driver and Road & Track had it ranked lower than the other competitors. I can't find a link, but CD had them ranked this way (best to worst): Accord, Fusion, Sonata, Altima, Camry, Malibu. They then ranked the Passat higher than the Accord and Sonata in a follow-on test FWIW. R&T had the same rankings, but flipped the Sonata and Altima.

As for the rest, yes people do buy them, but a lot less people are buying them now then they used to, which was the whole point I was trying to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Like what? They are all bland boring family sedans for $199 a month leases for the masses. If anyone seriously thinks a Fusion, Malibu, Sonata etc is somehow a luxury car or a sports sedan they are off their rocker. The Camry SE would whoop all their asses.

THe Kia Optima is well done it seems for those that dare to look different but it ain't no canyon carver.

The old Mazdaspeed 6 was a canyon carver for a family sedan. These are all FWD snoozemobiles.

Lol at people thinking they are cooler in a Sonata or Fusion etc.

lol
This is actually a very good point when you sift through the sarcasm, lol. A lot of times the rags only compare the top end models. The comparisons I mentioned pitted the top-of-the-line models of each car against each other. In those comparisons you can start to see some of the differences and people who have sporting intentions for their family sedan can find things that appeal to them.

However, when you look at the meat and potatoes side of it (the $199 lease specials) and are looking at one trim line above base with the 4 cyldiners, you need to ask yourself does it really matter? At that point they are all very similar, but some of them (Camry) do pull off the "Ma and Pa Kettle" mobile better than the others. The comparo RW13 posted is this type, looking at midlevel models with the I4.

You really need to quantify what exactly you are looking for and talking about when stating "best". I do believe that the Accord, Fusion, Sonata and Altima were better "drivers cars" than the old Camry. I also don't think you will see much change in that regard with the new model. However, does that really matter? The bulk of the market is the "lease special" plain Jane car and in that market you are really splitting hairs when talking about better.

Quote:
My posting got deleted because of "off topic". Well I will post it again and add my opinion of the Camry.
Buy American!
If I compare the Camry and it's interior to a Ford or Chevy I can only say that it's not as great. I stick with Ford and buy American cars.
I would have agreed with you over the past couple years when looking at the old model Camry. However, the knew one has really elevated its game on the interior end. Remember, we aren't talking about 2011 and 2010 Camry's, we are talking about the 2012's and there is a noticable difference.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:20 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Dont' ever use rental spec cars as the basis for determining whether teh consumer level car you might buy is any good or not. As an example, i had a Ford Contour SVT. A fantastic driver's car, consistently ranked by enthusiast magazines as one of the best enthusiast buys on teh market at the time. I loved it. I also drove a rental Contour of the same time period. Hated it. Horrid little car. Yet, it was basically the same car. Shows how much difference a trim level can be.

That Fusian rental was not an SEL or Sport version....

Old 11-01-2011, 01:50 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Buy American!
Hmm, Glad you bought what you liked with your money! Let others do as they please with theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I tested a 2012 camry..........nice car,however the wife and I decided on the RAV4..........V-6 limited with all the options...........If I could have afforded two, the Camry would have been 2nd.......
I'm sure Toyota is happy either way.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
The '12 Camry is ugly IMO, especially in the back. My Mom has a '10 model and I like hers better.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:06 AM

600 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The '12 Camry is ugly IMO, especially in the back. My Mom has a '10 model and I like hers better.
No personality. It could be a Mazda or Honda if you didn't see the badge.
Sadly that happens lots today. Also with American cars.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Quote:
Buy American!
If I were comparing a '11 Camry to an '11 Fusion, I would say Fusion would beat the Camry, but the '12 has improved. I think Toyota seen the mistake/issues on the '07-'11 models and is working on correcting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Just to clarify, the girls aunt drove a 2012 Camry and thought it was cheap plastic crap. She called yesterday and is now driving a 2011 Fusion SE. According to her there was no comparison as the Fusion was a much better built car. It rides better and is far quieter according to her. It also came with a lot of bells and buttons that the Camry didn't have unless you wanted to dig deeper in the wallet. She's happy with her choice.
If she thinks the interior on the '12 is cheap, try out the '11 model.... the console on the '11 is terrible... it creaks and moves 2 inches back and forth. The '12 is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I rented a 2010 Fusion SEL V6 last year and loved it... later had the 4-cylinder version and didnt like it as well. Our company now uses Ford Fusions as the company cars and has since '10 and have been very reliable. They used to use Impalas from '06-'08, still have a few of those in the fleet.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Quote:
Buy American!
The Camry has more American content than your Ford

Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Isn't the Fusion built in Mexico?

Getting back on subject. I love the look of the 2012 Camry. I drive a 1993 and for being 18 years old it still drives nice and feels solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion