U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:16 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times

Advertisements

I guess it depends on the state that you are in. In California you are paying a fee to drive a car on the roadway. The plates would remain with the car, unless they are vanity plates. Still the registration for the car would remain with that car. Then again in California we have to register every year. Do some states allow you to remove plates that are not vanity plates?

Registration in California is also based on the value of the car. An older car would be much less to register. As a car ages the amount that you would pay to register it would decline. Is that differant in other states? What I am getting at is in California you would not be able to transfer a registration from one car to another. Even though a driver or owner of the car registered the car and then sold it in between the registration time the state wouldn't be inclined to refund the money or to shift the cost from one car to another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 PM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
The registration should transfer with the plates, and the insurance company can do everything over the phone to adjust your policy and premium. It really depends upon the dealer whether or not they want a certified check or not. Some will take a personal check, sometimes with a credit application, others will take a certified personal check, and others want a cashier's check. It all depends upon the preference of the dealer, which can help you to get out of there faster during delivery, so you are not delayed by having to verify the check, etc. before they will release the car.

ETA: Since the OP is in NYS, my points are directed to that with transferring plates to a new vehicle, since that is allowed in that jurisdiction.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-20-2011, 03:21 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,537,106 times
bmw guy what would you do if you were me picking the car up on that day?

I have a trunk full of junk like a few quarts of motor oil (old faithful burns oil since the late 90's), Marvel Mystery oil, a few bottles of STP gas treatment, brake fluid, pwr steering fluid, a portable car vac, jumper cables, 3 shovels, rags, dry gas, oil burning retardants

the new Yaris is a liftback and only has a cargo/luggage area, not a trunk per se

on pick up day would you bring along a big mat to cover the floors and cargo area before transferring the junk(kind of dirty) into the new car or would you take the junk out of the old car beforehand, store it at home and when you get the new car home decide what you wanted to keep in there?

probably no need for the motor oil or other "remedies" which helped old faithful run at it's best, but who knows...

obviously i will keep the jumper cables and car vacuum

so bmw guy what would you do? transfer the junk on pick up day or store it at home until i get the new car? i probably would not keep 3 shovels in the new car maybe just a little one

i know this isn't a hard thing to do but i wonder what most of you would do

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,531,740 times
Personally, I would tend to transfer from car to car that which you need to keep in it. You might not need the oil just yet with the new car, so I would leave that at home. To keep the cargo area clean and neat, I would invest in a utility mat that would go over the carpet and give you a solid, rubberized type of surface that you could wash clean. That way, a wet, salty shovel placed in the hatch area would not discolor the carpet. A good one would be somewhere around $100-$200+, but the dealer may be able to sell you one at a good price as an add-on accessory. Just be sure that it is fitted to the car, so that it will cover the entire cargo area.

The reason I would bring with you what you want in the new car is because if you take it out, it may not make it back there. I still have a storage container with items from one car that I keep meaning to put in its replacement, yet they sit in the garage. So, yes, I would recommend keeping the storage box or crate with what you want in the new car in the old car when you go to pick up the Yaris.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-21-2011, 01:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,793 posts, read 37,464,612 times
Man, I love the Yaris. I get them for $6 - $12 / day on priceline. 40 MPG from an AUTOMATIC with AC, in Colorado and WY mtns !!! I would love to try a manual tranny. (I have never owned an automatic, in 40+ yrs of driving. Tho there is one in the 'stable' (not mine... 20 mpg motorhome))

Talk about cup holders !!! (about 6 within reach of driver). I can go to Sonic Happy hour and TANK UP on R44's!! Yaris gets my vote for a Healthy Ride (lots of water for driver, good cockpit visibility). They will go over 100mph pretty ez too (on those wide open WY roads... WATCH out for Antelope!!!)

I had to take an equivalent Datsun (Nissan) on one rental... 2,000 miles of mtn misery. Auto Tranny was terrible, very poor shift points, very poor economy.

Now if I could only get a Yaris in Diesel (I don't do GAS). I would die for just ONE functional cup holder in my VW...)... I WILL die before VW gets that right, as well as their $0.25 door handles and window regulators...

Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 AM

33,141 posts, read 39,090,825 times
Bought my 08 Yaris sedan as a daily economical commuter and find it to be very nice little car, inexpensive to buy, own and operate. and will do the long trip in relative comfort.If you are big and fat you may feel kinda cramped but normal size people fit just fine.
About to head out on Saturday morning for a 1600 mile trip to the Tampa area,mpg will be in the mid 40's all the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion