Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:02 PM

120 posts, read 671,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
It's to determine whether it's an external leak and to pinpoint it's location if it is.
yea because turning the car on doesn't tell you that.

There are so many failure points that are hard or inconvenient to see that it can be pretty tough to tell where the leak is. For all we know there are multiple small leaks rather than one big one. The coolant could be pooling somewhere or burning up on contact with a hot engine. OP, just don't let the internet convince you that the first thing you should do is change the head gasket. Thats the most expensive repair and as long as your engine isn't over heating, should be your last resort to fix this kind of problem.

Last edited by jds62f; 01-23-2012 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,209,015 times
Losing that much coolant is usually a sign of a blown head gasket. You'd see it if it was external. It's completely possible to blow a head gasket and not contaminate the oil.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,671,924 times
With that mileage, I'd guess the water pump is starting to leak around the shaft seal. It won't leak much while it's sitting there, but in operation, it could leak several drops a minute without you really seeing it.

There's also, as mentioned, a number of hoses and connections that could develop a slow leak elsewhere. A few drops a minute would drain out quite a bit in 1000 miles.

I'd take it somewhere else. (Stuck thermostat? No. Head gasket? Possible but doubtful.)

Old 01-24-2012, 07:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
I'll through in another possibility. A small front side radiator leak under pressure. The coolant leaks out a bit, gets pushed back over the hot radiator and basically evaporates.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 499 times
I have a 1993 Toyota camry. I picked it up today from shop had head gaskets replaced. But I haven't payed a penny yet. My son was driving it and I was in my other car behind him. Immediately I noticed the light white smoke coming from exhaust. That use to be a small problem.I thought when you replace gaskets and you send heads to machine shop this problem would be resolved. It isn't running hot yet. But this same person did a quick fit about 3 months ago. I was told them if it didn't hold up I would need gaskets. Please give me some input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion