U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 22 days ago)

10,302 posts, read 10,457,063 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here own a current model 4Runner? If so, what are your thoughts?

I am considering buying one later this year and am just curious what owners have to say about them. I had a 2001 4Runner and loved it. I sold it to Carmax before deploying to Afghanistan in 2009.

The new 4Runners are an entirely different vehicle than the one I had, and while I am not a complete fan of the boxy look to them, overall I do think they are pretty nice. Plus my wife and I already have a Sequoia which has been an awesome vehicle. Toyota seems to get it right with their SUVs.

So like I said, current model 4Runner owners, what are the good points and bad points about your vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 01:16 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,388,051 times
I dont own one but I do alot of work for Toyota and have put over 50k miles on the newer ones... I like em... I actually like the newer boxy look then the previous gen. It drives good, better interior then previously as well.. I personally like how the gas powered Highlanders drive better than the 4runner though.. The steering seems artificially heavy to me in the 4runner, plus the packaging with the more complicated, but better offroad 4runner suspension eats up alot of room in the rear too... Only matters if you plan on having people in the rear though. Which I can easily fit in the standard foldaway 3rd row (5'10" 190) of the highlander, but cannot even get my butt in the optional 4runner 3rd row.. door openings are much bigger and much easier to get in n out of in the highlander as well...Funny, the 4runner is bigger than the highlander on the outside in every dimension, but smaller on the inside.
So overall I really do like the 4runner and how it drives, but I like the highlander slightly more in every category, especially how the gas version drives. Caveat.. the highlander hybrid is the one toyota hybrid I dont like driving so much.. the mapping for the accelerator is not so great and it feels like it weighs a ton more, even though its only listed as a couple hundred pounds more. Plus the hybrid version carries clise to a 9k premium by msrp compared to a gas one, compared to less than 3k premium vs camry/camry. Although the 27-30mpg is surely better than the 19-24 than I see in the 4runner or gas highlander..

Old 03-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 22 days ago)

10,302 posts, read 10,457,063 times
LRPct,
Thanks for the post. The Highlanders are nice looking vehicles, but I really do not care for the crossover platform. I'm sure they are solid vehicles but I like the more traditional longitude mounted engine and 4wd/rwd configuration of the 4Runners better.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:28 PM

2,256 posts, read 3,388,051 times
Copy.. I normally do too, but since I wouldnt ever do any real hardcore offroading in which the 4runner would be most ideal, I personally woould choose the better on road driving of the highlander... Although I dont expect everyone to have the same tastes.. and just for reference the highlanders are veey capable and durable offroad as Ive used them a ton on offroad training events. Just in case that was a concern re the more traditional drivetrain layout.. best of luck auto shopping..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or