Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 08:44 AM

63 posts, read 132,022 times

Advertisements

Here is the deal...

I have a 2001 corolla LE and it burns oil and will get worse down the line. I rather not have the headache of worrying about it anymore unless I can get it fixed for a price that is worth it.(seems unlikely)

Ultimately I want to buy a car new or very close to it. I am looking at Volkswagen and Hyundai because I have friends who recommend these brands. Are there any brands that have shined in the recently that anyone recommends?

EDIT:
Driving habits include:

* I am a highway warrior and a slouch on the local roads; I drive harder on the freeway than in the streets where I drive like ms daisy

*18 mile commute(9 miles each way) monday-friday everyday; back and forth to work
*140 mile(70 miles both ways) trip maybe every 6 weeks; Southern, CT to NYC outskirts
*180 mile(90 miles both ways) trip once a year; Southern, CT to new Jersey
* and probably 20 misc miles a week.

In the end I want something that will last me with good maintenance. I just dont want something with a silly manufacturer fault or something that results from crappy design. I love the older cars because every 1999 honda i see on the road is a testament to its longevity but times are changing and that hunt for the oldie but goodie timeless look car is getting harder and harder. So i guess its time to look in the future right?

thoughts on a newer car?

Last edited by gibsonzero; 04-03-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Volkswagen relibility has improved of late, but it still lags that of the Japanese, Korean, and US manufacturers.

I know that there are those who love their VWs for their fine handling and good-quality interiors, but the fact remains that VW reliability is nowhere near as good as that of the manufacturers from the above-noted countries.

Additionally, both the handling and interior quality of newer VWs have recently declined at the same time that reliability has taken an up-tick.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Look at the Mazda 3.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM

isnt mazda owned by ford?

ford put a crappy tranny into the model of my first car mazda 626(1994) and it was proven defective and prone to failure. I am a bit afraid to venture into mazda territory given the latter having happened to me.

I will do some research despite my worries because cars are different now a days. In the same light mazda had the protege which is one of the most reliable cars of its time. I shouldn't count them out yet I guess

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonzero View Post
isnt mazda owned by ford?

At this point, Ford owns only 13.4% of Mazda.

However, they do have a lot of "shared technology".

As was mentioned, the now-discontinued Mazda Tribute was built in the US alongside the identical Ford Escape.

The old Ford Probe was essentially a rebodied Mazda.

The new Mazda 2 has the same chassis and many other shared parts in common with the new Ford Fiesta. I'm sure that there are other similarities between Mazda and Ford, but these are the only ones that come to mind right now.

Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM

the whole joint venture kind of scares me.

I was thinking of going toyota again, but I dont know about the new stuff nor do I have friends or family with exp.

thank you for the info on volkswagen too btw.

Is there a brand you recommend?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you want a smaller, efficient, reliable hatchback, I would look at a Honda Fit in addition to the Mazda 3. The Subaru Impreza is newly redesigned and more fuel efficient than previous generation Impreza, offering AWD in the small hatchback department, which can come in handy in CT, NY, and NJ during winters other than this past winter.

VWs are generally okay during the warranty period, but as you have an 11-year old Corolla, you tend to keep cars, and the VW will not be easy to own out of warranty. Some of the Golfs are not too bad in longer-term reliability, but you must perform maintenance to spec and on schedule, as they are not very forgiving of deferred maintenance by time/mileage.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Just curious, how many miles on the Corolla?

I have two ('98 & '00), both north of 150K and neither burn or leak a drop of oil....just wondering how long I have, LOL.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM

758 posts, read 1,235,191 times
How about a Honda? They are amazing cars

Old 04-03-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
How about a Honda? They are amazing cars
I was thinking about a civic, but I am not sure about the new ones. I know the old ones are great, but I really havent heard much about the new civics.

Perhaps I should look into the fit despite its modest looks( i think the yaris looks way better and I LOVE the fact that the yaris comes in sedan and not just hatchback)

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Just curious, how many miles on the Corolla?

I have two ('98 & '00), both north of 150K and neither burn or leak a drop of oil....just wondering how long I have, LOL.
96000 roughly. From my research some do not burn oil at all. I got mine used and only one owner according to carfax so I thought I was golden. Are you the original owner? if so you must have maintained them on time from jump.

I am considering an additive strategy that i have read about a few times as my last resort. I have put synthetic blend in it and has been 700 miles and so far so good i think. I checked the oil last weekend and it seemed ok. I am going to check it again today when i get out of work. I have a feeling its still burning so I am prepping this additive method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

VWs are generally okay during the warranty period, but as you have an 11-year old Corolla, you tend to keep cars
I got my corolla used but I have full intention of keeping my next car for a VERY long time. hence the hesitation on even the famous brands(ie. civic, corolla). I really want a winner that if i can maintain it that it could last me 10+ years. The way they make things now, I don't know if any new age car will last like that with regular usage.....perhaps I am wrong and these new cars will last longer than the ones from the 90s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion