U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 PM

5,094 posts, read 9,079,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Don't have the link handy. I saw it over at nasioc. I'll post the link later.
Toyota has informed their dealers that the new Scion FR-S sports coupe has a couple of quality issues:
  1. Some new FR-S coupes have exhibited moisture build-up in the rear tail light housings, indicating the units aren’t being sealed properly by the supplier and/or being damaged during assembly.
  2. Some new FR-S coupes have body panels that are not fitting flush at the gaps – Toyota reports that some panels are sitting as a quarter of inch over or under flush.

If you have a BRZ/FR-S you should have it looked at. Read article:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,394,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Toyota has informed their dealers that the new Scion FR-S sports coupe has a couple of quality issues:
  1. Some new FR-S coupes have exhibited moisture build-up in the rear tail light housings, indicating the units aren’t being sealed properly by the supplier and/or being damaged during assembly.
  2. Some new FR-S coupes have body panels that are not fitting flush at the gaps – Toyota reports that some panels are sitting as a quarter of inch over or under flush.

If you have a BRZ/FR-S you should have it looked at. Read article:
For what Id use that car for that kind of stuff wouldnt bother me.. eiyher have it fixed by the dealer or Id do it myself in an afternoon. I never saw anything like that in any of them I drove, although thatvwas almost a year ago and of course they were pre production models.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 PM

978 posts, read 1,865,665 times
You need to track one of these down and check it out in person...in general, the Subaru version is slightly more expensive though seen as the better equipped/better handling car of the two. The slight uptick in cost nets you standard in-dash navigation, premium audio, much better quality seats, etc as standard options. The Scion variation has been "cheapened out" a bit to get the starting price below $25k. Believe it or not, there are some differences between them though when it comes to performance. Motortrend's website has an article up that compares them with a few other sub-$30k vehicles in a shoot out, they chose the Subaru to be #1 out of the group I believe.

But anyway, I too was thinking about this car...but then I saw it in person. It's very small and just doesn't really look like a mid to high $20k car to me in terms of design. In my personal opinion, this thing should have been price under $20k easily to start. I'd honestly say that the defunct 4th generation Mitsubishi Eclipse...which is a 6-7 year old design, FWD, and nothing to shout about...actually has this thing beat in terms of looks/styling when it comes to imports. It's apples to oranges, but something like the Mustang or Camaro seems like much more of a "car" to me personally and far more satisfying when it comes to making an actual purchase with that much cash.

...you're basically buying the FR-S/BRZ only if you're into imports and want killer handling. It's a nice car, and I do mean VERY nice when it comes to handling...it's loads of fun, but for some reason I just don't really see it as all too striking or interesting after spending some time with it in person. Remove the RWD platform and stick the 170-something HP 4cyl engine of the TC into it and you're literally looking at a new Celica and probably a $18k starting point...this thing needed to be just a little bit more than what it turned out to be IMHO.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 PM

8,221 posts, read 10,964,955 times
I had one, I liked it. a solid care free car. No complaints or issues.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:46 PM

3,133 posts, read 9,125,633 times
I agree, for $30k I'll take a new 350hp Genesis Coupe. Much better looking inside and out.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:32 AM

5,094 posts, read 9,079,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
I agree, for $30k I'll take a new 350hp Genesis Coupe. Much better looking inside and out.
30k gets you a new Mustang GT with the track pack. The Genesis coupe of a great car, but it needs the 5.0 V8 from the sedan

Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 AM

3,807 posts, read 8,534,393 times
i think the above sidebars about Genesis coupes and Mustang GT's also show a reason Scion and Subaru may be keeping this as a basic rwd car more set up for corners then the strip. If they were to boost it, and add add'l traction measures, it vaults that car into an area that others already play in.
Let the tuner kids mod it on their own, and keep the retail in the 20's. That would make sense to me anyhow.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM

978 posts, read 1,865,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Exactly...the FR-S/BRZ seems to be for a very specific person, there's just other cars out there that seem to justify the $30k price a lot better overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
i think the above sidebars about Genesis coupes and Mustang GT's also show a reason Scion and Subaru may be keeping this as a basic rwd car more set up for corners then the strip. If they were to boost it, and add add'l traction measures, it vaults that car into an area that others already play in.
Let the tuner kids mod it on their own, and keep the retail in the 20's. That would make sense to me anyhow.
Yeah, it's pretty much a coupe version of the Mazda Miata...that's what their intentions seem to have been: super light weight/amazing handling/very small stature/incredibly low/modest engine.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:37 AM

3,129 posts, read 5,151,654 times
The FRS is 25k-27k not 30k

This is a true all out sports car for the few enthusiasts left that value feel over HP, leather seats, electronics and weight. Its not for everyone.

Wish it was a TOyota instead of a Scion here but that is one amazing vehicle. Reviews have it as the best driving car short of exotics even beating out the Cayman!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:59 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,858,609 times
I agree I love nice basic cars for cheap as well. I remember hearing about this awhile. They also should bring back the celica.

At the same time it is amazing how new cars are coming out balanced.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/08/24/mo...-bmw-m3-coupe/

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion