Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,148 times

Advertisements

My daugher's 1996 Toyota Camry with 170,000+ miles recently developed an odd shimmy, particularly when driving slow. While driving, the car feels like it is wobbling (coming from underneath) quickly back and forth ever so slightly; the driver can feel the shimmy in the steering wheel and underneath the driver's seat. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The car runs fine otherwise, although it does leak oil; but this shimmy came out of nowhere.

She is afraid to drive it and I am worried about getting hit with a huge bill if I take it in. She lives in the city (Chicago) and I'm in the suburbs; she would like to drive it home (about 35 miles expressway), but we don't know if it is safe to do so. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Could be a wheel bearing, a tire or wheel being out of round/bent, or it could be something as simple as a wheel weight falling off and a wheel is now unbalanced.

In any case, none of those are expensive fixes. Take it to a mechanic and mention to check those things, and I'm pretty sure he'll be able to find the problem quickly.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Find a good mechanic and take it into the shop. It's time.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyprob View Post
My daugher's 1996 Toyota Camry with 170,000+ miles recently developed an odd shimmy, particularly when driving slow. While driving, the car feels like it is wobbling (coming from underneath) quickly back and forth ever so slightly; the driver can feel the shimmy in the steering wheel and underneath the driver's seat. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? The car runs fine otherwise, although it does leak oil; but this shimmy came out of nowhere.

She is afraid to drive it and I am worried about getting hit with a huge bill if I take it in. She lives in the city (Chicago) and I'm in the suburbs; she would like to drive it home (about 35 miles expressway), but we don't know if it is safe to do so. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.
If the car sort of "rocks" back and forth at say 10 MPH and below, one thing I have seen cause that is a tire that has an internal flaw, a broken belt. The tire will eventually fail, hard to predict when.

If you have a set of old, cheap tires on the car, this is something you should check out.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
The very first thing to check is the tightness of the lug nuts on all 4 wheels.
Has the OP at least done that?

If the lug nuts prove to be okay, then I can only suggest that he get the car to a competent mechanic immediately, as this situation indicates a potential safety hazard.
The problem could be the result of defective tires, or worn-out front-end components--such as tie rod ends--but the potential to lose steering ability should alarm you sufficiently to get this looked into immediately.

Please note that "competent" does NOT include the likes of Midas, Meineke, Monro, Sears, Pep Boys, AAMCO, or other chains.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
It's pretty obvious

- check tires

- if tires OK take it IMMEDIATELY to someone who can check the front end.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Does it make a clicking sound on turns? CV Joint

Otherwise it could be the lugs, wheel bearing... etc Get it checked out ASAP

Old 12-14-2012, 08:39 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
I would also assume it is something wrong with the tires. Are there any noises that coincide with the frequency of the wobble?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If the car sort of "rocks" back and forth at say 10 MPH and below, one thing I have seen cause that is a tire that has an internal flaw, a broken belt. The tire will eventually fail, hard to predict when.

If you have a set of old, cheap tires on the car, this is something you should check out.

ditto. almost sure sign of "humped" tire.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:06 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Could be loose motor mount
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion