Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times

Advertisements

What kind of mileage on this 01 camry, sounds pretty rediculous to hav an 01 with cra cked motor mounts and ecu failures.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Yeah... Matrix Reloaded it is.

This is how you reload your computer. You pull ECM fuse out overnight. That's it. All it had learned before is gone.

But realistically speaking, at this age, I bet ya it's simply your tranny having hard time down shifting. It's 23 years of service. Not asking, how regularly ATF was changed.

You can try pouring a can of Transtune by Seafoam inside your tranny and driving on it. You can drive on it indefinitely, but I'd say, 500 miles, then replace ATF. No need to keep released particles inside.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
On a 2001 Camry, if the ECM had set a trans failure code, the Check Engine light would have illuminated on the dash.

Any competent auto trans shop will have the scan tool to pick up the transmission codes (P0xxx), but if the dash light wasn't on, no codes were set.

Toyota has a pin-out diagnostic chart of 10 tests to verify proper electrical voltages and functions for this transmission. They advise to perform those tests if no trans code was set, and this set of diagnostics may reveal wiring or solenoid or component failures to be repaired/replaced.

It is possible for the ECM to have lapses of mapping in these cars due to voltage spikes, a dead/discharged battery, or simple old age/heat stress related failures. As mentioned, the ECM may be restored by disconnecting the power to it for awhile so it reverts back to it's original factory default settings, or it may be reflashed by folk with the equipment to do so (which is available at the dealer and in the aftermarket, too).

Looking at the diagnostic pin-out troubleshooting chart, the hard downshift symptom is not listed by Toyota. In the absence of a check engine light/hard P0xxx code set on your car, the first thing I'd do is disconnect the power to the ECM and then road test the vehicle. It's entirely possible that the hard downshift was caused by an engine performance issue and not even a transmission fault, and that the ECM reverting to it's baseline settings cured that problem.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:41 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
If you are DIY like me like Toyotas toyota nation is a great forum yes there are some rice rocket types there but there are master level toy techs too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion