Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If everything mechanical checks out okay, and if the tire wear is indeed uneven, then you do need to get an alignment. And, bad alignment can lead to problems with the steering re-centering itself after completing a turn. More than likely, the alignment shop will find that the "toe" needs to be adjusted.

Just bear in mind that the alignment shop may find that there is a need to replace damaged parts, as bad front-end components might be found when doing the alignment, and a need to replace ball joints or tie rod ends will lead to a much higher bill.

Just for future reference, doing a visual check of your tires on a regular basis can avoid being in a situation where your tires have very uneven wear patterns. At the first sign of uneven wear, you need to take action, rather than waiting until the wear is extreme.

Also--if you rotate your next set of tires on a regular basis, you can equalize the wear patterns. Unfortunately, it is too late to do that with your current set of tires.
The mechanic checked the tie rods, and they seem to be OK. Hopefully, the alignment guy will not find anything expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Misalignment can cause that kind of wear, yes. So too can tires that aren't inflated evenly, and/or uneven tread-wear. Shoot, I've seen vehicles that have different sized tires on each side of the front.

But I'd think you would feel something other than an occasional tug. In your OP you made it sound like it sometimes gets "stuck" when you're turning. Is that the case, or are is it more like it sometimes doesn't feel just quite right?
The steering feels the same as before (atleast there is no perceptible difference between now and say 6 months ago). The only issue I am facing is the steering not auto centering on certain occasions.

I'll have an alignment done and tires rotated, and then check if there is any improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
The steering feels the same as before (atleast there is no perceptible difference between now and say 6 months ago). The only issue I am facing is the steering not auto centering on certain occasions.

I'll have an alignment done and tires rotated, and then check if there is any improvement.
Okay. Well... There's quite a difference between the title of this thread which is, "Camry steering getting stuck while turning" and "the steering not auto-centering on certain occasions." One is extremely serious, the other is fairly common.

Get your alignment & tires rotated, and let us know how it's feeling.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 899 times
I am having this EXACT issue in my '10 Camry w/~90K miles. Steering "sticks" around 10/11 o'clock in a left turn and requires a tug before it will release to go back to center. By the way, my tires are new and alignment is still good. I HAVE taken it to the dealership and they said, "we can't recreate the symptom so there's nothing we can do until we can." They greased/lubed everything and sent me on my way, and yes, it's still happening. Happens most often in a traffic circle, occasionally around a left turn.
I'll be using this thread when I go in next time!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
Hello,

Did you get that fixed? Please help

I have the same exact issue on my 2010 camry on which the steering freezes as you make the left turn and when steering wheel is coming back to the center at about 10/11 clock position. I would have to then force it to center.

I took the dealership and they had my car of couple of days but couldn't duplicate the issue, they said everything is fine, the rack, pinion, hydraulic system, and have done the alignment with brand new Michellin tires. but soon I took the car out of the dealership, i had the steering froze and the dealer is not willing to take back the car to do more testing that they have spent enough time and didnt find anything, Please help since have already hit the median and popped my front tire due to that and I don' feel comfortable handing over the care to my wife or son due to that.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,713 times
Did you get that fixed? what was the issue?

I have the same exact issue and took to dealership and have all the alignment done but they were unable to duplicate the issue.

Can you please help>>>>>>>>>>>>>thanks

Old 11-06-2015, 03:59 PM

549 posts, read 722,044 times
Most likely a sticking valve in the rack & pinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjId3bfMBUQ

I did this to my wife's 1998 Camry with 170K+ miles on it. Hasn't happened again for well over a year.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamirsh View Post
Did you get that fixed? what was the issue?

I have the same exact issue and took to dealership and have all the alignment done but they were unable to duplicate the issue.

Can you please help>>>>>>>>>>>>>thanks
For me, rotating the tires took care of the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion