Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,119 times

Advertisements

About a year ago I was driving my 1998 Camry into a parking lot. As I put my foot on the brake, my car began to sputter and shake like it was going to stall. At the same time, my brake pedal went "hard" and I had to press down harder to slow it down. As the car slowed it shook even harder and sounded like it would stall any second, so I accelerated and was able to make into a parking spot. I turned the car off, went into the store and prayed it would start when I got back about 10 minutes later. It started up just fine and I had no problems getting home. It didn't do this again until a month later. So I took it in to the mechanic who could find nothing wrong with it. There is no check engine light, doesn't seem to be any smoke or exhaust issues. The car did this once a month for about a year. Lately it has been doing it about once a week or every other week. In the beginning it would only start doing it when I was braking to stop. Now it begins to sputter while I'm accelerating as I drive down the road. Luckily I've always been able to pull off the road and let it sit. But I can only drive it short distances because I don't want to get stuck too far from home. The mechanic said that without a check engine light to help them with the diagnostics, it could be any one of a dozen parts that might be going bad, and he doesn't want to just start fixing things which might not need fixed because it will end up costing me unnecessary expense. I am getting very frustrated and wondered if there is anyone else who has had this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,846,622 times
You're either having a stuck EGR, which I doubt, or you are having an intermittent vacuum leak, and a good one at that. The vacuum leak is why the brakes are hard as the booster losses all of it's vacuum and it's also causing the car to stall. It can be anything from a cracked vacuum line (probably) to a bad brake booster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion