Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
I have no desire to convince people toyotas are no longer reliable, I am trying to convince people that they no longer stand behind their product, if they do find a problem they will not fix it, even if you have a comprehensive warranty.
Toyota Motor Manufacturing is not the same as "Charlie's Toyota." Your issues seem to be with the local franchise.

Oil is relatively cheap. By a carton of it and top off as needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:44 AM

565 posts, read 935,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Toyota Motor Manufacturing is not the same as "Charlie's Toyota." Your issues seem to be with the local franchise.

Oil is relatively cheap. By a carton of it and top off as needed.
I understand this, I plan on contacting corporate.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
A quart every 2,500 miles is nothing in 100,000 miles you'll spend <$60 assuming you do oil changes every 5,000 miles and add a quart at the 2,500 mile mark.

It's annoying but provided the rest of the car works well I wouldn't dream of getting rid of it. I had a car that once burned a quart every 600-800 miles depending on speed. THAT was annoying. It was a VW, also bought used. FWIW we drove it 60,000 miles and when sold it still ran fine. Just burned oil.

Have you done a compression test? Do they fall within standards? If not you may have a case of a rebuild or replacement.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
Quote:
The original dealer is more than an hour away one way. We tried contacting them and they told us we needed to do the consumption test there, they dont care we live so far away. I did the consumption test at the "local" dealership 35 minutes away (one way).

I have no desire to convince people toyotas are no longer reliable, I am trying to convince people that they no longer stand behind their product, if they do find a problem they will not fix it, even if you have a comprehensive warranty.
What car manufacturer actually does stand behind their product. I promise you that if you had the same problem with any others, you would get the same result.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,503,073 times
Quote:
To be perfectly clear, my car is burning about 2 quarts of oil every 5k miles. I didnt state it was burning more than 1 quart every 1200 miles, i said toyota considers that acceptable now.

Again this is perfectly normal for any brand. In fact some will be jealous with your numbers!

We had a corolla that did not burn any oil at all and ran over 250K when we sold it without any problems. Now we have 2 camry hybrids one with the same gas engine as yours and a newer one. 2007 one burns oil and it goes like from the max to halfway between max and min in about 5K miles. This is a bit annoying but car has been super reliable except a water pump change so I don't mind burning this much (or even more) oil.

Bottom line is - I see you don't like this but this is no reason to start a thread titled "Do not buy a toyota".

Old 11-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
What car manufacturer actually does stand behind their product. I promise you that if you had the same problem with any others, you would get the same result.
And somehow people have become to accept this as the status quo.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Start a consumption test with the Toyota dealer. 1200 miles later drive to half a mile away from the dealer, pull over to a side street and drain some oil out or siphon some oil out, just enough. Complete the drive to the dealer. Claim approved.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Again this is perfectly normal for any brand. In fact some will be jealous with your numbers!

We had a corolla that did not burn any oil at all and ran over 250K when we sold it without any problems. Now we have 2 camry hybrids one with the same gas engine as yours and a newer one. 2007 one burns oil and it goes like from the max to halfway between max and min in about 5K miles. This is a bit annoying but car has been super reliable except a water pump change so I don't mind burning this much (or even more) oil.

Bottom line is - I see you don't like this but this is no reason to start a thread titled "Do not buy a toyota".

Cars burning oil regularly hasn't been acceptable since the 70s.
Find me a mechanic that doesnt work for Toyota or a major dealership that agrees that cars burning 2 quarts of oil in between changes is perfectly normal for an engine with less than 100k miles.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Start a consumption test with the Toyota dealer. 1200 miles later drive to half a mile away from the dealer, pull over to a side street and drain some oil out or siphon some oil out, just enough. Complete the drive to the dealer. Claim approved.
they actually mark the oil fill cap, and the drain plug to make sure people do not do that. Tells the service tech to do it in big red letters in the service bulletin.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM

78,401 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Trying to convince people that Toyotas aren't generally and mostly very reliable cars is like trying to convince people that they don't need air the breathe.

You had a bad experience. The emphasis is "you" and not most people.

Internet knowledge is usually little more than a few people who repeated information until someone comes along and thinks 100 links equal facts.

Start tracking down link and you'll find most are just one or very few different sources and most of them just personal experience, not widespread patterns.
As someone who actively follows vehicle quality across the width of the auto industry you are completely correct that anecdotal evidence is just that.

In general though, the major quality measures have shown that Toyota has slipped a little bit while the domestics have improved (especially Ford). While Toyota is still amongst the best, their expanded production, new models etc. have (as expected) drug at their quality.

So, my personal advice to ANYBODY looking for a car is to buy on model and not brand loyalty and if you are buying a Toyota you may be paying a bit of a premium for the quality factor which may not be as big as it once was.

This coming from someone that has purchased a Kia, Ford, GM, Toyota and another Ford product over the past 6 years so I'm not some brand loyalist trying to kick Toyota in the shins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion