Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:50 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post

How about this....unburned gasoline vapor turns to Ozone when hit by sunlight and that's BAD coming out of a tailpipe right? Did you know that all electric motors output Ozone as well? It just exits the vents and not a tailpipe to be measured.
So, you would be in favor of reducing petroleum use by 50% so that all of those electric motors running things in an oil refinery 24/7 would only have to run half as much, right? I bet the ozone emitted by them isn't being counted by the EPA, either.

You hate hybrids--we get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Going to an electric car is typical "better than you" attitude.

Yes, you are burning less fuel ... but there's a high likelyhood your electricity comes from coal or natural gas power ... still fossil fuel.

Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

Yes, you are burning less fuel ... but there's a high likelyhood your electricity comes from coal or natural gas power ... still fossil fuel.
But much less of it. And much less pollution reaching the air. And a lot of places have this thing called hydroelectric power. And many of us have gone to solar and actually sell electricity back to the grid.

Again, it's been proven many times that well to wheels, the EV or PHEV is more efficient.

And many of us simply like high tech stuff. High tech stuff that uses less energy is a good thing overall.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Right - economies of scale kick in. For example, it would use much less fuel to charge up your electric car using power from a power plant than it would using a generator in your back yard.

Around here, everything is nuclear.

But it's just some more consideration that needs to be done.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:43 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post

Electricity generated from your supplier using oil/gas/coal is much better than you burning gas with your car. Much more efficient and less pollution.

I much rather have 10 million electric cars out on the road than 10 million standard combustion cars. The 10 million gas burning cars adds more carbon footprint than than electric powerplants generating enough electricity to power 10 million cars.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:55 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
"Now that I have a Pious I think I'm better than everyone else" Yeah we get it! South Park already covered this though.

BTW I hate them because I'm subsidizing your car purchase!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Quote:

Well, I and every other taxpayer in the US is subsidizing every barrel of oil that we import because we can't build or won't drive fuel-efficient vehicles in this country. That monumental amount of direct and indirect subsidy makes any pittance the alternative fuel/propulsion cars might garner in a taxpayer subsidy pale to insignificance. I'm not smarter than everyone else, but I'm intelligent enough to be able to think that one through.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:40 PM

347 posts, read 650,356 times
Quote:
Do you know what else is subsidized? Our roads.

Many anti-transit critics will argue that a percentage of our gas tax revenue is siphoned off to subsidize mass transit. But those same critics will in turn blatantly ignore the fact that even if 100% of gas taxes went to public road construction and maintenance, the total annual revenue for these taxes would only cover about 75% of the total annual construction and maintenance budget.

So by the same token, non-driving taxpayers can claim your same argument.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^ And that oil goes to produce your plastic car!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:09 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Not jumping in the flames, but a lot of folks use plastic items; cups, bottles, even traditional cars have plastic dashboards. Just saying'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion