Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,206,471 times

Advertisements

Absolutely.

Well how is this for good performance... the new 2015 Hyundai Genesis passes with flying colors! It looks like it has been one of the best performers in this test thus far. Will other 2015 models follow suit?

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...yundai/genesis

Here is a photo of the newly redesigned 2015 Hyundai Genesis after the very demanding small overlap crash. The passenger cage looks to be totally unaffected! This just goes to show that these car companies have the know how to make good performing cars in all of their cars. Now that they know the IIHS is doing these tests, they are scrambling to make them good performers. One vehicle however that has done well in this test for years was Volvo. The XC90 SUV design dates back to 2003 and the structure has not changed. When the new XC90 was tested, it passed with a good rating and it was said that the 2003 would do as well.

Look at the 2014 Sonata in comparison... (I imagine the all-new Sonata will be a good performer in this test as well!)

Look at the smallest Hyundai (2014 Accent in comparison)

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 05-09-2014 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:31 PM

20,291 posts, read 37,141,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
I can understand sticking to any single particular car (I'm not into replacing models every couple of years). However, I cannot understand sticking to a particular make for like three or more consequential cars (like my father). I guess I'm not into make fanboyism. And most often than not it's the people replacing their cars every few years that stick to the same makes. I've noticed that the ones having a 5 to 10 y/o car are more inclined to take chances with a different make for some reason, even if they are satisfied.
Some people stick to one car and one wife for years. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

On the serious side, my wife found the seats of a 2009 Forester quite terrible. The seats would give her backaches in a short period of time. Took it to another dealer where she sat and drove a 2010 Toyota Rav 4 V6, and she loved it from the first spin. Trade the Forester, and she is happy with her Rav 4.

And yes, when I find a car that works for me, I keep it forever if I can, and was lucky to find the best wife ever 34 years ago. I am keeping her

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,854,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
This is true, I don't know why negative stories or bad press doesn't affect their owner base more. ...
I suspect it has to do with how long a buyer typically goes between auto transactions.

Most people do not pay attention to automotive current events. Yeah, they hear about a major negative story, but they forget about it after a few minutes because the information isn't particularly relevant to them at that moment in time -- unless they are shopping for a new car.

If negative stories persisted for a long time -- say 12 years -- then they would be current events for most people during their purchase process, and Toyota would see a much larger impact.

I think the impact of current events on a car brand is a bit like predicting a presidential election: the past 4 years of then-current-but-no-longer-current events are largely forgotten. About the only thing that matters to most voters is current events within a month or so of the election. Yeah, there are some who *always* vote for the candidate of one specific party and hence current events & job performance are irrelevant, just as there are some people who *always* buy Toyota (or Ford or Chevy or whatever).

Old 05-10-2014, 01:38 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,976,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I suspect it has to do with how long a buyer typically goes between auto transactions.

Most people do not pay attention to automotive current events. Yeah, they hear about a major negative story, but they forget about it after a few minutes because the information isn't particularly relevant to them at that moment in time -- unless they are shopping for a new car.

If negative stories persisted for a long time -- say 12 years -- then they would be current events for most people during their purchase process, and Toyota would see a much larger impact.

I think the impact of current events on a car brand is a bit like predicting a presidential election: the past 4 years of then-current-but-no-longer-current events are largely forgotten. About the only thing that matters to most voters is current events within a month or so of the election. Yeah, there are some who *always* vote for the candidate of one specific party and hence current events & job performance are irrelevant, just as there are some people who *always* buy Toyota (or Ford or Chevy or whatever).
Good points, and yes that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your input!

Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,666,715 times
I've been buying Toyotas since the early 80's. (except for a few Acuras for my wife)

But I'm not "loyal", "stubborn" or a "fanboy". I'll keep buying them until I get a bad one, and then I'll never buy another one, ever. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does...Toyota will join Ford, GM, and Chrysler on my permanent "no-buy list".

A car is an appliance to me....I just want to get where I'm going without any hassles.

On the rare occasions that I need "driving excitement", I have a 1967 427-435 Corvette Coupe (22K original miles!) that my dad bought new and I inherited.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I've been buying Toyotas since the early 80's. (except for a few Acuras for my wife)

But I'm not "loyal", "stubborn" or a "fanboy". I'll keep buying them until I get a bad one, and then I'll never buy another one, ever. Hasn't happened yet, but if it does...Toyota will join Ford, GM, and Chrysler on my permanent "no-buy list".

A car is an appliance to me....I just want to get where I'm going without any hassles.

On the rare occasions that I need "driving excitement", I have a 1967 427-435 Corvette Coupe (22K original miles!) that my dad bought new and I inherited.
So you don't really pay attention to crash tests, ratings and reviews? You just stick to a product line until they *********? That's a laid back way of looking at it... sounds reasonable though

Old 05-14-2014, 10:11 AM

134 posts, read 471,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Toyota makes some of the best engines and transmissions, that's what repeat Toyota buyers care about.
This reminds me about an article where a Toyota engineer said for the record that their customers do not care about stuff like "DI engine". He was arguing that their customers would rather lose 1mpg and gain reliability than other way around. I'm sure they will have to come on board to meet upcoming CAFE standards though.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
This reminds me about an article where a Toyota engineer said for the record that their customers do not care about stuff like "DI engine". He was arguing that their customers would rather lose 1mpg and gain reliability than other way around. I'm sure they will have to come on board to meet upcoming CAFE standards though.
That's a good point, brand loyalty is something the Toyota has been building for 20+ years and I think that this now gives them carte' blanche to experiment with their customers a bit to see what they can get away with. It definitely seems as if Toyota's quality has suffered in the past 7-8 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion