Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 11:17 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,736,266 times

Advertisements

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla. For the last month I’ve beenhearing a rattling when I drive. It sounds as if I have tied a bunch of cans tomy car. I brought it to my mechanic and I asked him to look at the bottom of the car to see what could be causing the noise. He was unable to find anything. When I sit in my driver’s seat, it sounds like it’s coming from the right. For the first time since this noise was occurring, I had a different person drive and I sat inthe passenger seat. This time the sound was coming from the left! I emptied my compartments and the noise continues. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Last edited by leadingedge04; 06-30-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 12:23 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,409,230 times
Rattles are very difficult to find. You may try sitting in different areas while someone else drives and see if you can narrow it down. Also check you trunk for any loose materials.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 PM

4,616 posts, read 12,219,985 times
Lonestar beer cans left inside from the scab drunks that built it.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:44 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,136,576 times
I would start be checking heat shields by the cat

Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM

31 posts, read 66,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I would start be checking heat shields by the cat
definitely a good start ! also check the hangers for the exhaust system (all the back to the tailpipe)..the vibrations can drive you nuts ! also, this might sound nutty, but you might be hearing "valve rattle" because of detonation - check the octane of the gas and try running a bottle of 104 in the tank (additive)

Old 04-20-2015, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,565 times
Default Same thing happened to me and fixed the problem

Hey, I had the same thing happen to me a few years back. The rattle came from a vibrating plastic panel the was no longer secure on the car. On the bottom, there should be 3 or 4 plastic panels snapped together following each of the side skirts. Each panel had two black pushy snap things (technical terms) attaching each to the chassis itself. The Toyota dealer ripped these off and the problem was fixed. These panels cover holes that were made to allow water to flow downwards outside of the car after cleaning during the manufacturing process (or so my car friend tells me). Should be maybe one or two of them out of place. I would go get it checked out with toyota because the panels actually seem to be physically attached to the side skirts. Would not recommend to DIY unless you r very confident in your ability and are sure that that is the problem. I'd just take a look under the side skirts and see if any plastic looks warped or broken. Hope this helps ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion