Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times

Advertisements

Good luck getting those "other" hatchbacks to come close to AVERAGING anywhere near those quoted numbers.. and the V is HUGE in the back.. the rear seats slide and recline ALOT more than anything short of a full size SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,908,727 times
If (actually when) the traction battery fails, a new one is about $3200. This happened to my wife's aunt. Failures are not real common but..............

Old 09-15-2014, 10:20 PM

19 posts, read 28,294 times
2007 Prius. Bought in 2008 used. Now has 90k miles.
Has all options except leather seats and navi.
Drives well and is much quicker than you would think. I keep it at 70-80 mph on hwy and I think you are less likely to get pulled over, as cops can't believe Prius can go that fast.

Now, for me, at those speeds, it has excessive wind and tire noise, which is annoying.

Reliability is excellent save having headlight bulbs bilaterally being replaced.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,775,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
But what if you spent $10k less on a Corolla Eco-Premium?
I wouldn't be able to fit all of my equipment within.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I assume they bought the Prius v for the cargo room, otherwise just get the regular Prius which still has way more cargo room/flexibility than the Corolla.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
It's also not $10k. Regular Prius is like $5k but they're more heavily discounted bringing that down some. Prius v is like $6k. With options, you can certainly bring the price up on the Prius to $10k more.
And I got a good deal because it's the end of the model year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaniardinTexas View Post
My father in law has a Prius 2.
I am impressed with the mechanics and how it drives, it is faster than I expected.
The interior puts me off, cheapo plastics everywhere.
There are cheapo plastics in just about any car. I checked out the Ford Flex and that had even cheaper-feeling plastics, and with a sticker price of $40,000... no.

By the way, I got 48.7 mpg in about 500 miles of driving. I beat ol' lead-foot by almost 10% without throwing our schedule off. I have found the Prius to be a fun car to drive. By my calculations we're actually saving around $340 per month on gas.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,369 times
Reading this thread makes me so excited to by a Prius. I'll have to review my finances and downpayment options. I don't want a monthly car payment over $400. I may buy a used Prius, 2011-2012.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:28 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Mine is not a Prius, but does have the Toyota mechanicals. I purchased my 2006 Lexus RX400H AWD from the dealer as a lease return with 60,000 miles. Under the body, it is a Highlander hybrid. The car now has 165,000 miles. Just replaced the brakes for the first time two weeks ago. The brakes could have gone longer, but I wanted to rotors turned and it was easy enough to change the pads at the same time.

Other than recall fixes and routine scheduled maintenance, absolutely nothing had to be done to the vehicle. I really like the CVT and hybrid technology. I consistently get between 25-26 mpg, which is pretty good for such a heavy car. If this car ever dies, which is doubtful, I will replace it with another Toyota based hybrid. I'm sold!

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
I had a 2008 Prius and traded it in for a Chevy Volt. I just couldn't take the seats on the Prius anymore. I went on two trips in mine and my back ached for days. They put better seats in the Corolla. Took the Volt on a long trip and had no issues with my back. The ride is also much better on the Volt.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:53 PM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Let's keep this short and sweet. I'm looking at a 2014 Prius V. This "looking" just started today. I have reservations about the newfangled gadgetry found within, including but not limited to the CVT, hybrid powertrain, etc. I've heard that the cost of a hybrid battery pack can run into the several thousands when it has to be replaced. I want to know:

1) What year is your Prius? (And what model is it, if it's not the standard version that was the only Prius you could get until recently?)

2) How many miles are on it?

3) What major repairs have you had to do to it so far?

4) What regular maintenance can I expect to do to a Prius which a normal car would not require? (Figure that a "normal car" doesn't have a CVT nor a hybrid powertrain, among perhaps other things.)

5) How likely are you to replace your current Prius with another Prius when the time comes to replace it? And why?

Let's rock.
1) Just bought a 2013 Prius III with 19k miles about a month ago. It also has a remote start that the previous owner installed. We traded a 2005 base Prius with 115k miles at trade-in. We absolutely love our car--I work at a nonprofit and do not get mileage reimbursed so gas milage was a huge factor for us as driving is required for the job.

2) Now about 20k

3) I will talk about the 2005. We needed no repairs done to it except the wheel bearings had to be replaced at about 108k miles.

4) Did not have to do any maintenance outside of normal

5) Okay, as mentioned, we traded a 2005 base Prius with 115k miles with a 2013 Prius III with 19k miles. We traded because the mileage was getting high and I needed a car with GPS (too long of a story to get into) and some other technology that would have made me feel safer with my job.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:19 AM

359 posts, read 476,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Let's keep this short and sweet. I'm looking at a 2014 Prius V. This "looking" just started today. I have reservations about the newfangled gadgetry found within, including but not limited to the CVT, hybrid powertrain, etc. I've heard that the cost of a hybrid battery pack can run into the several thousands when it has to be replaced. I want to know:

1) What year is your Prius? (And what model is it, if it's not the standard version that was the only Prius you could get until recently?)

2) How many miles are on it?

3) What major repairs have you had to do to it so far?

4) What regular maintenance can I expect to do to a Prius which a normal car would not require? (Figure that a "normal car" doesn't have a CVT nor a hybrid powertrain, among perhaps other things.)

5) How likely are you to replace your current Prius with another Prius when the time comes to replace it? And why?

Let's rock.
I have a 2010 Prius II (base model).

107,000 miles

No repairs. At 100,000 mile inspection brakes still had ~40% left on them. Only thing I have done is oil changes and tires.

In my experience, none.

I will be replacing it with a 2015 Prius v (the station wagon) in december once the 2016 models are out.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,300,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Other than the gas mileage and utility of the hatchback, I hated my 2012 and sold it after 1.5 years. Some personal preference stuff, some not.
Definitely over priced IMHO.
I would do the math to see how much you are really going to save on gas. Plan on keeping the car a long long time.
Fuelly.com will give you a good idea on the "price per mile" of every car.
And remember it's an economy car (i.e. Matrix/Corolla) so don't expect anything more.
Ditto, only mine was a 2011. Drove it a little over a year; my back couldn't take the seats, so I put it on Craigslist and went & bought a Honda Accord EX-L. (my 3rd Accord) Compared to the Prius, the Accord felt like a Lexus .

Sold it on Craisglist for exactly what I owed on it. Happiest day of my life. Aside from the keyless entry/start and the hatchback feature & room, I didn't find anything about the car worth the $$ or other trade-offs. I would buy another Toyota, but not a Prius. Just isn't for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion