Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 AM

26 posts, read 63,801 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the responses. When I picked up my car I found out they didn't change the transmission fluid only checked it based from the printout of my receipt. I thought for sure it would be changed but was surprised to find out it wasn't. I have done some research on this and the general recommendation is to do change it in spite of what the manufacturer suggests. When I first brought my car to the mechanic, I overheard the guy say that it is changed at 30k, 60k and so on. Also when I bought the car, the salesman said the same thing. I plan to change it soon, maybe at the dealership or a local mechanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
Changing something that may not even be needed and taking it to someone that may not know what to do and now you being concerned !!!!

Go get your vehicle out of this shop and make the needed time if you want the vehicle to last !!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 07:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,971,475 times
Where were all these religious maintenance money spender when I was running a shop?

Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,869,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Your vibe better have a toyota drivetrain, since it's a matrix.
LOL! You are right, but a lot of people don't know that, so I usually have to explain it. I could say I had a 2010 Matrix, but that would not be exactly true. It's only a Matrix under the sheetmetal!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,586,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
The manual states inspect fluid only, cancel the tranny service.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum...lla_WMG_lr.pdf
First truly knowledgeable answer.

It even says on the dipstick -- check only, do not change.

All too many dealerships and independents print up their own inflated and bogus maintenance schedules.

Don in Austn

Old 10-08-2014, 10:55 AM

From Toyota factory service bulletin TSB 0006-11:

"100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval - Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle."

I would believe the Toyota factory over the "wallet flushing" industry.

Don in Austin

Old 10-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrops View Post
Thanks for the responses. When I picked up my car I found out they didn't change the transmission fluid only checked it based from the printout of my receipt. I thought for sure it would be changed but was surprised to find out it wasn't. I have done some research on this and the general recommendation is to do change it in spite of what the manufacturer suggests. When I first brought my car to the mechanic, I overheard the guy say that it is changed at 30k, 60k and so on. Also when I bought the car, the salesman said the same thing. I plan to change it soon, maybe at the dealership or a local mechanic.
If you do have the fluid changed -- contrary to factory recommendations -- be ABSOLUTELY sure that nothing is put in the transmission except Toyota WS fluid. Regardless of claims to be "synthetic" or "universal" no other fluid is recommended by Toyota. WS fluid is expensive -- if the system is flushed with a solvent it is unlikely that there will be enough genuine WS fluid to follow to completely purge the system of the solvent. In other words, flushing will probably result in a contaminated system.

Don in Austin

Old 10-08-2014, 12:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
From Toyota factory service bulletin TSB 0006-11:

"100,000 Mile Maintenance Interval - Inspection only; ATF-WS does NOT require any flushing or changing during the life of the vehicle."

I would believe the Toyota factory over the "wallet flushing" industry.

Don in Austin
The Toyota manual is a joke. Volvo said the same thing.

They only are responsible for the warranty period of 36k miles IIRC. It might be 60k powertrain.

Not changing your transmission fluid is the quickest, surefire way to ensure you have a transmission failure later in life.

Much easier to just change it and never worry. It's not very expensive, I think 4 qts are something like $30 at the dealer.

Bob is the oil guy had some great reading from tests taken from transmission oil. It showed the greatest amount of particulate accumulation happened in the first 5,000 miles. After that a change at 30,000 was a good idea. Then after that every 60,000 unless you were driving in harsh conditions or towing.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
I would believe the Toyota manual over some guy on the internet. But that is just me.

I was just in the dealership for a recall and they recommended a flush for $199. I am at 68K miles. So I did some research and like others have said, no flush is recommended just a check. I would rather spend my money else where that just to line the dealers pocket.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 746 times
Everything I read is flush and fill, no mention of the transmission filter. There is an internal filter, Napa sells one that is not a metal screen, I haven't put my hands on any other yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion