Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times

Advertisements

Our current family car is a 2009 Kia Borrego 4x4. It's a mid sized SUV that Kia only imported to the U.S. for one year-it's kind of a throwback which I like: body-on-ladder frame construction, rated to tow 5000lbs, and true 4WD with selectable low range. We bought it because we live in a very hilly area that can get treacherous in the winter, we take it on the beach in the summer, and we tow a 20' boat/5x8 trailer with it. However, even with the 3rd row seats, it's not going to cut it if we end up having a 3rd child, so when the time comes, I'll be looking closely at the Toyota Sienna minivans.

I'm a big fan of Toyota-in fact, if we could have afforded a certified pre-owned 4Runner at the time, we would have bought that instead of the Borrego, but it also came CPO and we got a great deal on it. Also, the AWD is a must-I won't consider a vehicle without it. I know that it won't be capable of driving on sand, but at least I know that in the winter we won't be stuck at the bottom of a hill. That brings me to the question of snow tires-I looked up a set for the Sienna and found only one brand available on Tire Rack at $265.00 each Apparently this is because the Sienna is originally equipped with run-flat tires. I've never owned a vehicle with run-flats and don't know much about them other than the fact that I don't see why I would need them. My wife and I are both perfectly capable of changing a tire, and we both maintain a AAA membership.

Is there something about the wheels the Sienna is equipped with that makes them only able to accept a run-flat tire? Or can any tire of the appropriate size be mounted? If not, would I be able to just get a size matched set of steel wheels (which is what I do with snow tires anyway) and just change them out when the cold weather hits?

The next question has to do with towing-as I understand it, the Sienna (as with most unibody vehicles) is limited to 3500lbs. The 5x8 trailer loaded with firewood is out of the question, but the boat might be ok as long as it's not too loaded down. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has towed with a Sienna as well as any other impressions folks have of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 01:42 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
There is no technical reason preventing you from mounting normal tires up on a Sienna. You could mount normal tires and the TPMS system will function perfectly fine.

The reason for the runflats is that Toyota did not put a spare tire onboard. So regardless of whether or not you can change a spare tire...there just isn't one to swap.

A lot of owners have had issues with this since the OEM runflats are only lasting 18,000-20,000 miles, and a new set of tires is around $1K.

Toyota does have a spare tire kit that can be installed to allow the use of normal tires (by giving you a spare tire and took kit) but the downside is the cost of $900 for the kit, and the elimination of the 3rd row seat.

You can always just run the normal tires and call AAA for a tow.

Typically most tires factory equipped with Run Flat tires do so to eliminate the spare tire for weight savings, or practical space savings. The corvette at least includes a can of Fix-a-flat and an onboard compressor...not that I'd recommend using fix-a-flat.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:46 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
As BM7 mentioned, you should be able to get regular tires with TPMS sensors installed and have no problems at all.

I know numerous people who bought BMWs that came with run flats and one of the first things they did was get rid of them. They haven't had any issues at all running a regular tire.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Toyota does have a spare tire kit that can be installed to allow the use of normal tires (by giving you a spare tire and took kit) but the downside is the cost of $900 for the kit, and the elimination of the 3rd row seat.
Yikes! Nevermind the cost-Deleting the 3rd row seat defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place, so that's a non-starter. I think we might just go with the run-flats until they wear out and just take our chances after that/in the winter with snow tires. We have 100 mile towing, so we'd be covered for 90% of the driving we'll do with it. For a long trip I'd consider strapping a tire and wheel to the roof rack safari style and stashing a jack and wrench in the back

Old 01-08-2015, 02:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Check out a new Highlander instead. I tried out the 3rd row seat and while I wouldn't want to be back there for hours at a time, my 6' frame would be comfortable for trips in the area. It has AWD and has a higher tow rating.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Check out a new Highlander instead. I tried out the 3rd row seat and while I wouldn't want to be back there for hours at a time, my 6' frame would be comfortable for trips in the area. It has AWD and has a higher tow rating.
The key is how do you get to the 3rd row seat? We have 3rd row seats in the Borrego but you have to either scramble in from the rear hatch with one of them folded down, or fold the 2nd row seats down and climb over them from a rear passenger door. My wife will want to be able to stand in the back/middle of the van and buckle our two youngest into their child seat/booster seats.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Yikes! Nevermind the cost-Deleting the 3rd row seat defeats the purpose of buying it in the first place, so that's a non-starter. I think we might just go with the run-flats until they wear out and just take our chances after that/in the winter with snow tires. We have 100 mile towing, so we'd be covered for 90% of the driving we'll do with it. For a long trip I'd consider strapping a tire and wheel to the roof rack safari style and stashing a jack and wrench in the back
I can't answer the question about the towing, but we removed the run flats and put on normal tires. We have the AWD Sienna which came with run flats. It also came a jack on the right hand side behind a panel, but didn't come with a spare (of course). Ordered the spare tire with rim as as a part from Toyota for $130 and with a little ingenuity bungee corded it to the rear of the 3rd row ( it's a donut so it takes very little room). When we need more storage area we've bungee corded it to a side panel (drill a small hole in a few places and use 1 foot cords and it'll be fine).

Old 01-08-2015, 03:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
The key is how do you get to the 3rd row seat? We have 3rd row seats in the Borrego but you have to either scramble in from the rear hatch with one of them folded down, or fold the 2nd row seats down and climb over them from a rear passenger door. My wife will want to be able to stand in the back/middle of the van and buckle our two youngest into their child seat/booster seats.
Using the 3rd row is a PITA. It's supposed to slide forward and flip forward if needed, but it temperamental. If your wife wants to get back there then she would need to slide the seat forward and fold the seat back down. Thus creating a seat so she can sit and lock the kids down.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docum.../sec_03-03.pdf

Old 03-13-2015, 04:50 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Do not buy any car with run flats.

I met several people at Toyota dealers who got stuck with these pieces of trash with the following issues.

1. Tires cannot normally be saved after a flat
2. Most stores have no replacements in stock causing your car to be out of service for a long time
3. Run flats have terribly short lives

If you cannot get a new Sienna w/o these pieces of crap, go to another brand or model

I think Toyota settled a class action by supplying standard tires and a conversion kit to hold the spare.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:05 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I can't answer the question about the towing, but we removed the run flats and put on normal tires. We have the AWD Sienna which came with run flats. It also came a jack on the right hand side behind a panel, but didn't come with a spare (of course). Ordered the spare tire with rim as as a part from Toyota for $130 and with a little ingenuity bungee corded it to the rear of the 3rd row ( it's a donut so it takes very little room). When we need more storage area we've bungee corded it to a side panel (drill a small hole in a few places and use 1 foot cords and it'll be fine).
That's the way to do it.

By the way, the AWD Sienna is incredibly surefooted on ice when winter tires are used. It's rock solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion