Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM

77,903 posts, read 60,048,025 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to click on TMZ but the news is that police have found a video of the incident (no idea how good of quality).

Also, the deceased lady had not renewed her license or it was suspended etc. for 5+ years.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:35 PM

774 posts, read 2,592,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Very tragic that someone died in this accident. It involved Jenner's Cadillac Escalade rear ending what looks like a white Lexus LS (the biggest model car they make), which caused it to veer into the path of a Hummer. The Hummer sustained severe front end damage, but the driver survived. The Lexus driver was killed on impact apparently. The Lexus vehicles are very reliable (I know because I've owned one for 12 years now). What concerns me though, is the safety of these vehicles in collisions such as this one. Are Lexus vehicles safe? That's the question. I doubt that such a collision with a BMW 7-series would've killed the driver. Your thoughts?

Guys I was in a similar crash many years ago that I’ve mentioned on here from time to time. I was driving a basically new 2010 4-Runner. I was sitting stopped at a light when a drunk in his BMW (If I recallit was a 5 series) ran the light, glanced off another car and hit me basically head on. Not sure how fast he was going but the impact totaled both cars. I sat there shaken for about 3 or 4 minutes trying to figure out if I was ok before moving. I remember looking down into the other car at the driver only a couple of feet away. I never saw him move. When the police arrived I was just getting out of my truck. I was trying to walk up to the car but they stopped me and the cop just shook his head and said you don't want to look in there. Unfortunately the driver of the BMW didn't make it. They said he died on impact

While the 4-Runner was badly bent up and I did have to climb out the passanger side door, I walked away with only somemajor bruises and a few pretty good cuts but nothing broken of life threating. When it comes to physics the larger car is always going to win and the person in the smaller car is going to get hurt badly.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM

24,366 posts, read 22,939,367 times
I always give Lexus SUVs some clearance since they seem to have drivers who don't seem to realize there are other drivers on the road. The lady Jenner hit didn't have a license for 7 or 8 years.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:37 PM

214 posts, read 280,034 times
An idiot ramming anyone from the back into an oncoming hummer going 50 mph is losing the front end of their car no matter what the name of it is.

Only a large bus or another hummer might have a chance. The poor woman had 1 idiot in the front and another in the back. The only way to get away from that is super good reflexes and a quick check in the rear view

Old 02-12-2015, 09:40 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,413,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
An idiot ramming anyone from the back into an oncoming hummer going 50 mph is losing the front end of their car no matter what the name of it is.

Only a large bus or another hummer might have a chance. The poor woman had 1 idiot in the front and another in the back. The only way to get away from that is super good reflexes and a quick check in the rear view
Who was the idiot in the front?

And how exactly do you ram someone in the back into oncoming traffic? was their a curve in the road or something?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm not going to click on TMZ but the news is that police have found a video of the incident (no idea how good of quality).

Also, the deceased lady had not renewed her license or it was suspended etc. for 5+ years.
Don't know about the 69 year old who got sandwiched in between idiot 1 and idiot 2 but I do know the idiot who stopped in the middle of the freeway to make a U TURN's license was suspended 2 or 3 times and on the day of the accident.

Can't believe none of these idiots are in jail. Thought it was against the law to drive with a suspended license. So you can drive with a suspended license... stop in the middle of a freeway and cause old ladys to ram into the back of you... kill them after causing chain reactions and still walk out the house the next day to do it again.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 PM

77,903 posts, read 60,048,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underated9 View Post
Don't know about the 69 year old who got sandwiched in between idiot 1 and idiot 2 but I do know the idiot who stopped in the middle of the freeway to make a U TURN's license was suspended 2 or 3 times and on the day of the accident.

Can't believe none of these idiots are in jail. Thought it was against the law to drive with a suspended license. So you can drive with a suspended license... stop in the middle of a freeway and cause old ladys to ram into the back of you... kill them after causing chain reactions and still walk out the house the next day to do it again.
I don't see how the 3rd driver is an idiot and the 2nd driver that rear-ended the first isn't.

In fact, the 3rd driver could even be blameless if they gave a safe following distance but because driver #2 slammed into driver #1 they may have stopped in a much shorter distance than you can with normal braking making it impossible for driver #3 to fully avoid (they did manage to only clip #2 but that spun them into oncoming traffic).

Also, you can't "cause little old ladys to ram into the back of you"....the little old lady hadn't had a valid license in years either.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't see how the 3rd driver is an idiot and the 2nd driver that rear-ended the first isn't.

In fact, the 3rd driver could even be blameless if they gave a safe following distance but because driver #2 slammed into driver #1 they may have stopped in a much shorter distance than you can with normal braking making it impossible for driver #3 to fully avoid (they did manage to only clip #2 but that spun them into oncoming traffic).

Also, you can't "cause little old ladys to ram into the back of you"....the little old lady hadn't had a valid license in years either.

The 2nd driver had shorter reaction time since the idiot driving the car in front of them was probably still running until they decided to make a pit stop during the middle of ongoing traffic. The 3rd idiot ran into an already non moving accident. No comparison.

Anybody who thinks stopping or impeding high speed traffic in the middle of the freeway in the fast lane is okay shouldn't have a license either. The only idiot who caused the chain reaction, with a suspended license or not, is the first idiot.

No one should even have to think about, well enough have to look out for, idiots making complete standing stops in the middle of the fast lane with ongoing steady traffic driving behind them. Not something you'd think you'd have to look out for, since only a severe moron or mentally retarded person, who wouldn't even be behind a wheel because of lack of brain cells would do it. Any good driver driving 3 car lengths in distance behind could still run into the moron doing that. By the time the distance is shortenend you now got 2 seconds to realize wtf is going on and react to it.

Yea you always look out for stupid when you're driving. And be on guard for it. But sometimes stupid is too stupid to even get around. Old people don't usually tailgate. Bet a mill that wasn't the problem. Going too slow is usually their problem.

Whoever's legally driving or not. The idiot illegally stopping in the middle of the fast lane with her suspended license to make a U TURN needs to be locked up. All of those people would still be walking around today if her moronic butt wasn't illegally sitting in her car seat making pit stops in the middle of 50 mph traffic.

Point blank.

*I've had that person in front of me a good amount of times. The tool who decides to stop and turn around wherever the eff they want with traffic going at a steady fast pace behind them. And yea.... you swerve at the last minute around the idiot. But afterwards that idiot needs to be snatched by the neck and not allowed to get in any car. If you don't have enough common sense to keep driving up to a safe spot first before you decide to make a pit spot in the line of traffic, you either need to take your butt back to Drivers Ed 101, or never be allowed to be back out on the road with real drivers who actually know how to drive or think.

That's worse than texting or driving drunk on certain occasions. That's an a hole driving with no brains or common sense. Daily.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:29 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,267,595 times
I have seen vehicles that were barely even dented and someone die from the wreck. It is more than the car, it also is how the impacts hit. Sideways is always the worst, especially if you are restrained by a seat belt on the side getting hit/making impact. Why? Because you absorb the impact in the side when the seat belt traps you in place. In a side hit, you are far better off not wearing a seat belt. I live by a bad intersection, and that is what I have seen repeatedly. Now for a front biased collision or rear end hit, you are better off with the seat belt on. Rollovers is just a luck of the draw on which you are better off.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:43 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,291,560 times
PCH is not a freeway. It is a four-lane roadway that is a highway in stretches. You could not make a U-turn on a freeway, yet knowing that stretch of roadway, people make crazy turns and do stop for no apparent reason because they are attempting to find parking by the side of the road.

The Lexus is a safe car, both now and in the era in which the one in the accident was produced. I agree with GrandviewGloria in that I would welcome increased safety in the Lexus lineup over trendy gizmos, since they could tap into a market that wants an understated and reliable luxury car or SUV. Any Lexus I have owned has been very good, and I think the LX is a tank, and I do not drive like an idiot in it, for those who seem to like to stereotype by brand of vehicle. You can meet a good driver in a Lexus, just as you can meet a rotten one in a Cadillac or Chevrolet, the brand is inconsequential to driver training and attention.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion