Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 03:23 PM

527 posts, read 2,169,173 times

Advertisements

I bought a 2012 Toyota Camry LE and got a single FOB electronic key with it. I have an additional non electronic key also.
Now I wanted to get an additional Electronic key made for this vehicle. I see online that people on ebay sell blanks for under $30 and suggest to get it cut from a local locksmith.
Can anyone suggest me the most economical (cheapest) way to obtain a replacement key and get it cut and programmed as well.
Does ACE Hardware does it ?

Also I read online that to do self programming of the key, I need to have at least 2 FOBs already with me. I have only one FOB so how do I go about getting the new FOB ?
Last option is dealer for me. But want to avoid because of the higher cost with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,579,284 times
You buy a fob online and do learning procedure. You buy blank key online and have a decent locksmith cut it for you. Decent LS will also have a little device that flashes your new key for you based on the original one. Just like you copy SIM card. That's as cheap as it gets.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You buy a fob online and do learning procedure. You buy blank key online and have a decent locksmith cut it for you. Decent LS will also have a little device that flashes your new key for you based on the original one. Just like you copy SIM card. That's as cheap as it gets.
^^This is the cheapest option.^^ Alternatively, if you want to press the easy button without paying dealer rates, you can talk to locksmiths in your area. Many of them can cut the key AND program the chip for less than the dealer.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:49 AM

527 posts, read 2,169,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post

I was actually planning to do this only. But since I am not at all knowledgable in automobiles, I wanted to double check.
Also when the car learns about the new key, it won't forget old keys right ? Because I remember reading somewhere that car will forget old FOB which sounds incorrect to me.
If what you have mentioned is the way to go then I get I need to first talk to a locksmith or ACE hardware in my area and see if they will cut the key.

With only one master key with me and one key which will probably be cut by ace hardware etc, can I then program the key myself ?

End result: 1 original FOB which I have and another new which I would have bought from ebay. Sounds right ?

Old 04-16-2015, 11:46 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak007 View Post
I was actually planning to do this only. But since I am not at all knowledgable in automobiles, I wanted to double check.
Also when the car learns about the new key, it won't forget old keys right ? Because I remember reading somewhere that car will forget old FOB which sounds incorrect to me.
If what you have mentioned is the way to go then I get I need to first talk to a locksmith or ACE hardware in my area and see if they will cut the key.

With only one master key with me and one key which will probably be cut by ace hardware etc, can I then program the key myself ?

End result: 1 original FOB which I have and another new which I would have bought from ebay. Sounds right ?
Talk to a locksmith or maybe a NAPA autoparts store. I wouldn't trust ace for anything more than a housekey.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:57 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,759,139 times
Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Old 06-16-2016, 03:19 AM

255 posts, read 451,314 times
We lost our key for the Camry while moving. It was a bad thing to do. Had the car towed to the dealer who quoted $1,000 to make a new key due to having to reprogram the computer in the dash. Called our mechanic who knew a good locksmith. He came out to the dealership and did the job on their property for $350. Still a pricey lesson to learn, but at least not $1,000.

Recently, I was in Lowe's or Home Depot and they have a section where you can buy another key that is programmed for your car for $75. I asked to be certain and they said yes they can do it. We never had the remote for the car as it was used and not available when we bought it. So I have just gotten used to having a key only and no remote. So if you can get by with just another key, try Lowe's. If they don't have it, try Home Depot. I'm not positive which store because I shop at both of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion