Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,720,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
After nearly 13 years, Toyota has decided to drop the youth-oriented Scion brand. Despite an attempt last year to rekindle its mojo with two new models, the iA and iM, Scion is closing up shop.

According to a report by CarBuzzard.com journalist BJ Killeen, Scion employees were briefed on Tuesday ahead of an announcement to be made Wednesday.

Scion has suffered years of sales declines, but it seemed like Toyota had a plan to turn the brand around. In addition to the Mazda2-based iA and rebadged Euro-market Toyota Auris, the iM, Scion was expected to add a version of the Toyota C-HR crossover to its lineup. A C-HR concept sporting a Scion badge was even shown off at the recent 2015 Los Angeles auto show last November. The new cars are more practical and mainstream-looking than the boxy, quirky-cool xB, the vehicle that helped the Scion brand establish its identity. They appeal to a wider audience but still have a hint of that rebellious streak Scion is known for. The revamped lineup seemed like a new beginning for the brand.
Toyota Gives Scion Brand the Axe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Not surprising based on overall sales figures but too bad it didn't work out. We got a tC when they came out, easy to mod and enjoyed the car. Our daughter also has one, again same thing.
I think the original marketing plan may have been a good idea, but implementation perhaps didnt always work. Our local dealer had their Scion area all set up for the youth; music playing, "hip" sales people, etc..... but said Scion area was in the same showroom as Toyota.
When they brought out the TRD supercharger, it was all about adding performance while keeping the warranty. Some then had trouble with the sc's, and the minute they touched the pulleys to add hp it became a warranty issue. My opinion, one cant try to get someone to buy a car that they also want to sell them mods, but then give them limitations and parameters to work in. Was ok for us, may not have been for someone in their 20's more in the tuner culture.

I just wonder if Toyota will keep the FRS or if Subie will remain the only outlet (if its even kept for them)

Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
No shocker there. Especially when they started unveiling new Scions using the Toyota design language.

It's the product. Toyota really did not do enough to keep a steady supply of compelling and/or market competitive products in showrooms. Interest in the brand died out. People went elsewhere.

Really, what Toyota did with this brand was very "General Motors" as they have made the same failings with upstart brand/sub brand attempts with Saturn and Geo.

Really, Toyota does not need Scion. If they want to appeal to younger buyers, they need to only keep their lower end products fresh, tech filled, and fun to own.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post

I just wonder if Toyota will keep the FRS or if Subie will remain the only outlet (if its even kept for them)
Subie has said recently that a second generation of the BRZ is in the works, though how that works out now is unknown.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM

17,297 posts, read 12,225,030 times
The FR-S is a Toyota everywhere else in the world but US and Canada.

I doubt they drop it. Just wonder when they fold it in to Toyota if they will rename it to the 86/GT86/FT86 like the rest of the world.

Old 02-03-2016, 03:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,555,592 times
I hope they keep iM and iA in their line-up.

These are decent cars.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:42 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I hope they keep iM and iA in their line-up.

These are decent cars.
That is what the article I read said including the FRS.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:07 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
How sad. I've had two boxes and loved them!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion