Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Hmm, well my mom bought one recently. It wasn't $35k because of all the options. Pretty good discount off high MSRP but still pretty much $40k.

The Camy drives a lot better than the Avalon does. The Avalon is more comfortable but it's not like the Camry isn't comfortable as well. Backseat is larger but it's not like the backseat on the Camry isn't large. Mostly it's just more luxury. Most people probably opt for the Lexus as they just want the badge. Base ES is slightly cheaper than a Limited Avalon but very stripped in comparison. Vinyl seating, no heated seats and venitallted, no navi, no adaptive cruise, no JBL, no rains sensing wipers, no rear sunshade. Everything other than the adaptive cruise is standard on the Limited and I don't even know if you can get a limited without it. I mean, it's kind of hit and miss there though. The navi and adaptive cruise are both pretty much unusable, the JBL is okay but not great. Leather isn't Lexus leather but it's pretty good, much nicer than the vinyl in the base ES but you can abuse vinyl more. I'd probably go with vinyl for that reason.
I like the Avalon a lot - I've rode and driven in the Gen II and Gen III models (2003 and 2006) before. Comfy, refined engine. Decent acceleration and surprisingly good fuel economy for a car its size.

They have the reclining rear seat feature. However, they don't have the split folding rear seats (just a ski sack pass through) which limits cargo carrying versatility, and that's been a game breaker.

Would love to upgrade from my current Camry, but I can't really justify that from a utility or practicality standpoint - I don't carry rear seat passengers all that much, save for my 11 year old daughter, and the Camry is pretty roomy already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:55 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,771,556 times
I just bought a used 2014 Avalon XLE Premium with 4K miles. I love it, but have been told it's "an old man's car" or some such nonsense. I don't care. I am only 45 and to me it's a well-built, safe, sharp-looking, and comfortable car.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:35 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,446,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayesian View Post
I have been interested in Avalon for quite a few years, but I don't have the money yet.

Suppose I'm modestly affluent and I am going to start a family and raise kids, isn't Avalon a great car? It's very spacious, comfortable and reasonably powerful. Car and Drive rated Avalon 5/5, KKB rated Avalon 8.3/10 and US News rated Avalon 8.6/10. I guess the reliability lives up to the Toyota name.

The cost is around 35k, higher than Camry but slightly cheaper than entry-level Lexus. The only thing Avalon lacks is the RWD I guess? I really don't get it, why don't people with 35k budget consider Avalon?
The Avalon actually sells pretty well for a full-size sedan. The only two cars in the size class that outsell it are the Chevrolet Impala and Dodge Charger. In 2015, the Impala sold 116,825 units, the Charger sold 94,725 and the Avalon was at 60,063. Keep in mind that a large percentage of both the Taurus and Charger are sold to rental and corporate fleets, which explains their higher sales figures.

The Avalon’s other competitors (Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Azera, Nissan Maxima and Chrysler 300) all sell in smaller numbers (by at least 10k units) than the Avalon. The Avalon’s greatest competitor is already sitting right there on the Toyota dealer’s lot- the Camry. For $8k less than the Avalon Limited, you can buy a loaded Camry XLE V6 with similar features and almost exactly the same interior dimensions. So it’s only logical that the high-end Camry models cannibalize some would-be-Avalon buyers.

The other problem with the Avalon is the price of the upper trim level. A top-of-the-line Avalon Limited stickers for $41,825. The Lexus ES 350 starts at $39,050. Despite being based on the Camry, the ES350 has essentially the same amount of interior space as the Avalon (100 cubic feet in ES350 vs. 102 cubic feet in Avalon). Some people will find the Lexus name and perception of getting a ‘luxury’ car more important. Personally, I’d take the Avalon Limited with all the extra features any time over the Lexus with few/no options.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:40 PM

1,088 posts, read 1,446,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I just bought a used 2014 Avalon XLE Premium with 4K miles. I love it, but have been told it's "an old man's car" or some such nonsense. I don't care. I am only 45 and to me it's a well-built, safe, sharp-looking, and comfortable car.
I got a lot of crap buying a Volvo V60 wagon as a single, 41-year-old guy. But I love it and it's what I wanted, so to heck with them!

I've lucked out and had an Avalon for a rental a few times and the Hyundai Azera several times. I'll readily admit that I enjoy driving a modern full-size sedan. The Avalon is a very sharp car and very comfortable (not to mention well-engineered and rock-solid reliable)!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:06 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,868,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
The Avalon actually sells pretty well for a full-size sedan. The only two cars in the size class that outsell it are the Chevrolet Impala and Dodge Charger. In 2015, the Impala sold 116,825 units, the Charger sold 94,725 and the Avalon was at 60,063. Keep in mind that a large percentage of both the Taurus and Charger are sold to rental and corporate fleets, which explains their higher sales figures.

The Avalon’s other competitors (Buick LaCrosse, Hyundai Azera, Nissan Maxima and Chrysler 300) all sell in smaller numbers (by at least 10k units) than the Avalon. The Avalon’s greatest competitor is already sitting right there on the Toyota dealer’s lot- the Camry. For $8k less than the Avalon Limited, you can buy a loaded Camry XLE V6 with similar features and almost exactly the same interior dimensions. So it’s only logical that the high-end Camry models cannibalize some would-be-Avalon buyers.

The other problem with the Avalon is the price of the upper trim level. A top-of-the-line Avalon Limited stickers for $41,825. The Lexus ES 350 starts at $39,050. Despite being based on the Camry, the ES350 has essentially the same amount of interior space as the Avalon (100 cubic feet in ES350 vs. 102 cubic feet in Avalon). Some people will find the Lexus name and perception of getting a ‘luxury’ car more important. Personally, I’d take the Avalon Limited with all the extra features any time over the Lexus with few/no options.
Concierge service levels that come with a Lexus are worth a lot to many. Avalon/Toyota dealers can not match that.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:03 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,592,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The last "old man" Avalon was 2012. Most people have never driven one. And the '11 and '12 were really nice cars if you wanted a plush highway cruiser with a Lexus-like interior and no maintenance drama.

The new Avalon starting in '13 was instantly despised by most of the septuagenarians who had previous generation Avalons. It has a much more firm ride, harder seats with larger bolsters, and more complex electronics. Basically all the things that people looking for a big highway sofa Avalon of the past were NOT looking for. You can read reviews online by previous generation Avalon owners all complaining about how Avalon really went downhill (just like the rest of the world... and get off my damn lawn). The only real "old man" feature remaining, is the name.

Not a bad car to drive at all, actually. Edit: For a FWD vehicle.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:55 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,771,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The last "old man" Avalon was 2012. Most people have never driven one. And the '11 and '12 were really nice cars if you wanted a plush highway cruiser with a Lexus-like interior and no maintenance drama.

The new Avalon starting in '13 was instantly despised by most of the septuagenarians who had previous generation Avalons. It has a much more firm ride, harder seats with larger bolsters, and more complex electronics. Basically all the things that people looking for a big highway sofa Avalon of the past were NOT looking for. You can read reviews online by previous generation Avalon owners all complaining about how Avalon really went downhill (just like the rest of the world... and get off my damn lawn). The only real "old man" feature remaining, is the name.

Not a bad car to drive at all, actually. Edit: For a FWD vehicle.
Interesting. Now that I own one, I'm now taking notice of other Avalons when I'm out on the road. I've yet to see anyone younger than myself driving a 4th generation Avalon.

My father who is 73 owns a '13 XLE. After driving his some months ago during a visit put the cat on my radar when I started looking for myself.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:22 PM

178 posts, read 158,794 times
Camry snipes all of the market because it is "good enough" for those wanting a comfy TOyota. And those who want more either start considering other luxury marques or the Lexus ES badge-engineered Camry.

Plus, the car is "closet luxury" because people sneer at a common man's car marque and some people do want to go under that radar. Where as a luxury marque or a Charger sticks out like a sore thumb. But those types of people are not as common in the younger generations. In addition, the young either don't have enough money for an Avalon or their parents already got them a Benz.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,868,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post
Camry snipes all of the market because it is "good enough" for those wanting a comfy TOyota. And those who want more either start considering other luxury marques or the Lexus ES badge-engineered Camry.

Plus, the car is "closet luxury" because people sneer at a common man's car marque and some people do want to go under that radar. Where as a luxury marque or a Charger sticks out like a sore thumb. But those types of people are not as common in the younger generations. In addition, the young either don't have enough money for an Avalon or their parents already got them a Benz.
Trouble with a Benz is that they are riding on past glory of reliability and current 'status', often by the noveau riche.

I wouldn't have a Benz except to flip on resale if it was given to me. There is no way I would want to afford the maintenance. And I have owned numerous Benz in the past, but those days are gone and over.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:15 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethGrayson View Post

So then, an Avalon is yesterday's Oldsmobile or Buick - for people who can afford a Cadillac but find it a bit too ostentatious, perhaps?

That's a good question - does that segment of consumers exist today? Or that bling-bling is more acceptable today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion