U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM

1,804 posts, read 870,447 times

Advertisements

First of all I want to clarify I am talking about the 12V battery in the boot compartment, not the traction battery.

My 2007 Hybrid has the Panasonic battery, which has died and cannot be resuscitated even with a battery tender. Costco and the regular automotive stores don't carry a replacement genetic. Toyota costs for replacement with labor is $550 . The two special features of this battery are the heat sensor and a vent to let out noxious gas.

Has anyone found a suitable replacement. If so how did you solve the issue of attaching the heat sensor to the aftermarket battery and what tape was used. Was there an outlet for fumes to escape?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 01:43 PM

10,236 posts, read 14,776,262 times
You use Yellow Top Optima. Optima now sells vent kit for them to fit with hybrid vehicles. It is direct fitment battery, as I have one and have same year TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid. Thermistor, aka heat sensor, you unplug, GENTLY pry off with something dull and flat, and simply stick onto the new battery. Costco, Sam's any parts store sells Yellow Tops.
Please, make sure to have 12V backup supply connected to cables when replacing battery. Unless it's dead as is, then it does not matter.
If you still have error lights after battery install, fully start and restart your car 3 times in a row.

Here's useful link:
12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Also in that post you can find some other battery options.
Some owners chose not to worry about venting at all, as AGM batteries produce virtually no hydrogen and, besides, it is in vented boot.

Old 01-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
You use Yellow Top Optima. Optima now sells vent kit for them to fit with hybrid vehicles. It is direct fitment battery, as I have one and have same year TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid. Thermistor, aka heat sensor, you unplug, GENTLY pry off with something dull and flat, and simply stick onto the new battery. Costco, Sam's any parts store sells Yellow Tops.
Please, make sure to have 12V backup supply connected to cables when replacing battery. Unless it's dead as is, then it does not matter.
If you still have error lights after battery install, fully start and restart your car 3 times in a row.

Here's useful link:
12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Also in that post you can find some other battery options.
Some owners chose not to worry about venting at all, as AGM batteries produce virtually no hydrogen and, besides, it is in vented boot.
Thank you ukrkoz for your reply.

I looked at the hybrid forums you linked and was surprised that I was a member of it though I had not looked at it in over 5 years. I had forgotten about it.

Both Sams and Costco have stopped carrying yellow to Optima and red tops too. They now have Duracell and Interstate batteries. Reading through the forum had me confused a bit. I have a few questions.

1. Does optima has a side vent now. I see that they sell a vent kit but do they truly have a vent opening. Is it from the top or where is it.located.

2. Looks like Bosch batteries at Pep Boys are an alternative but they have raised the prices and no more online discount. Exide from Amazon looks like an alternative. Any experience with either one since they appear to be exact fits with side vents too.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 PM

No experience with the other ones, ask in forum maybe someone does.
Base line is - it has to be an AGM deep cycle battery. Large capacity, not crank. Advanced Glass Mat. Very little acid, no gas produced.
I have seen some owners that went cheap and installed a regular led acid battery but due to possible spills and amount of gas produced I'd rather not recommend that.
Some owners go for 12V LiIo battery packs of suitable capacity. TCH does not care, it's basically nothing but a basic power backup for 12V using devices.
I saw Yellow tops in regular parts stores. $170 or so.
You'd need to call Optima as I have no experience with their vent kit. I rigged mine with venting tubes to make it work with existing venting system.
Must be a good car, aye, if you didn't have any need to forums in all that time.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Oh my. They really jagged YTO price up. I had mine for $175. Huge markup. I'd feel offended and look for more reasonably priced alternative. Screw Optima.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM

Look at those:

https://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-camry-car-batteries/

Old 01-23-2017, 04:34 PM

I'd just do this one:
https://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-ca...301344692.html
And not worry about vent at all. It's sealed AGM battery. Not that it produces anything into tight sealed trunk. Plenty of venting in that trunk, it's not space ship.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM

Ukrkoz

Forum rules prevent from repping you once more and I wish it would, since you have been a great help to me. A big, big thank you

After reading extensively here and at the other forum I decided to not get the Optima and Pepboys jacked up the price of the Bosch so I left that one out too. Got the Exide Edge FP AGM25 Plate plate sealed battery from Amazon

For the benefit of others who might have to do it I will post some tricky and gotcha moments I encountered while doing it and how I solved them.

My car is a 2007 Camry Hybrid, non Nav version

1. While removing the battery I found that a 10 mm socket and wrench works well except for the negative terminal which is too close to the trunk plastic covering and it is impossible to slide the socket / wrench inside to remove the nut. Even using the 10 mm spanner wrench was difficult. Finally I found that removing the battery holding L metal plate, the positive terminal and the vent flow tube made it possible to slide the battery out of its inside chamber, initially by tilting it and then moving it forward and sideways. The I could get to the negative terminal with the socket wrench. I held the positive terminal out of the way after unscrewing it, using a clear packaging tape to hold it.

2. The Exide battery is the same height and depth but its length is about 2 cm or so shorter than the original Panasonic battery. But after putting the holding plate back it seems to be firmly in place. Maybe the other Exide might be bigger and a perfect fit.

3. The original L shaped plastic tube inserted into the Panasonic battery is bigger and will not fit the smaller vent hole of the Exide battery. Luckily I bought the Dorman 924-254 battery vent tube and its L piece is perfect fit. So I used the original tubing, just removed the original L piece from the tubing and inserted the Dorman L piece and slide the other end of the L piece into the Exide battery vent. Since this is an add on item at Amazon buy it at the same time as the battery, though it came as separate deliveries for me.

4. The temp sensor removal was the trickiest part. Firstly I did not know where the end was and after many attempts I removed the adhesive warning white tape on the Panasonic battery and there it was under it. Next the end sensor was in a white gel which was in a shallow well on the battery. Not easy to pry out with standard flat screwdrivers. Finally I had an idea and used the tiny screwdriver you use to change eye spectacles screws and it worked. You can get a 5 piece tiny screwdriver set of flat and Phillips screwdrivers from Dollar store for $1. Comes in very handy.

5. The reassembling was fairly quick - battery vent tube followed by attaching negative terminal followed by sliding battery in place and the putting the holding plate and inserting the holding nuts and tightening it and finally attaching the positive battery wire and tightening the nut. The I removed the white gel and attached the temp sensor using electrical tape to hold it. The dashboard lights came on and I started the car with 3+ power up/off cycles with the ready light not coming on. . I saw the red battery signal on the dashboard.

6. I unattached the temp sensor which I had attached to the black part of the exide battery near the front side ( the top of the battery is all plastic) and reattached to the shiny central area which has the Exide logo. Hallelujah. The ready signal came on in the first attempt. I may have to glue it with a glue gun in the future or use extra tapes to hold it. Something for another day. I will keep an extra set of adhesive tape in the glove compartment since the sensor is attached to the front of the battery and not the top.

7. All in all, took about 1.5 hours. I can do the next one in 20-30 minutes now that I know the gotcha moments.

Old 01-30-2017, 01:54 PM

Saw your post elsewhere. You welcome.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 14,885 times
You can use a 12v AGM battery that is sealed with no heat or vent worries! I chose a Duracell at Batteries-Plus. Easy installation and worked like a charm! Very satisfied! The Toyota Dealer wanted $643.78 for OEM Panasonic battery plus $100.00 dollars for installation! What crap! The AGM 12v battery I bought cost me $229.89, and I switched it out myself. It works just fine! I am sp very satisfied!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion