U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:36 PM

25,817 posts, read 49,712,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
People said that when gas went from $2 to $2.50 that NOBODY will want to buy an SUV. They also said it when gas went from $2.50 to $3 and will keep saying it. But guess what, there IS still a market for large SUV's especially since the quality is improving more and more each year.
There will always be a market for SUV's... in Europe where gas can cost up to $10 a gallon, you will still find large SUV's.

I agree, the market will continue to decline as fuel prices increase... not everyone needs an SUV... but some do for business and don't forget the fleet of government SUV's in every nation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,060 posts, read 1,795,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
i've owned corolla's for a number of years and i can tell you it's the best car in the world.i'm also in the car business so i get to observe all types of cars and for the money,reliability,fuel economy,the corolla is the best.
I agree. There are 3 corolla's in my family - 1999 with almost 200,000 miles on it (some problems but running OK), also 2002 LE and 2003 S. All of them were bought used with different mileage but holding pretty good.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:07 PM

582 posts, read 1,786,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You guys have to be kidding. Sure the Corolla is probably one of the most reliable cars made, and it's is cheap to keep, if that is what you mean by best. For performance and driving fun it doesn't even rank. In my opinion it's about as boring a drive as one can get.
maybe we should drive a denali for 15 years and see how it holds up next to the corolla.i guarantee you the denali will be in a junkyard for parts while the corolla is still plugging away,that's what i mean by the best car.all those luxury cars with the leather,heated seats,power seats,navigation,chrome wheels are onli bought for image ans status and that's it.other than that their garbage.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Dude, a Denali is nothing but a glorified Yukon, not exactly what Id call luxurious. I never understand why people think throwing some leather seats, a fake wood console, and a different grille/steering wheel/rims/etc, somehow makes the ride "luxurious", when all the underpinnings and build quality is the same as its bottom-feeder siblings. So in a sense, if I were to take a Toyota 4Runner (a capable off-roader) and throw on some different rims, add on the word "Opera" to its nameplate, change the steering wheel and add a cheesy, plastic, wood-trim-wannabe bezel around the radio and charge a 10K premium over a normal 4Runner, would that make the ride "luxurious"? No. It would make me laughable for suggesting such a thing, which is what GM manages to do with the Denali.

The Corolla is an excellent car (albeit boring--kinda like a Yukon), and arguably more luxurious than a Denali. I sure know the switchgear, ride quality, interior noise levels and build quality are alot better on a Corolla than the "luxurious" Denali.

We all have our opinions naturally, but give credit where credit is due.
Could'nt have put it better myself... LMAO

Guys, i think its a little silly comparing suv's to a corolla, bit like oranges and lemons, dont ya think?

If one wants practicality, fuel savings then this car is way up there with the best.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:10 PM

582 posts, read 1,786,200 times
sorry for the spelling.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,951,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There will always be a market for SUV's... in Europe where gas can cost up to $10 a gallon, you will still find large SUV's.

yeah, only parked in the gated driveways of a large chateu, lol. most europeans are driving something a little bit smaller...

http://www.matchvehiclesolutions.com/images/Peugeot%20206%20LX%20D%20010.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-05-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Could'nt have put it better myself... LMAO

Guys, i think its a little silly comparing suv's to a corolla, bit like oranges and lemons, dont ya think?

If one wants practicality, fuel savings then this car is way up there with the best.
GracieJJ...I agree completely

The OP asked about cars... not trucks. Trucks and SUV's are designed to a different standard...

I would never use or expect a Corolla to tow and haul like a truck.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-06-2008 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: To Clarify that I agree with GracieJJ

Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,593,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flburgos View Post
i've owned corolla's for a number of years and i can tell you it's the best car in the world.i'm also in the car business so i get to observe all types of cars and for the money,reliability,fuel economy,the corolla is the best.
For a small car I agree. But it is also a very boring and not fun to drive at all.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:12 PM

716 posts, read 1,867,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I thought this thread was about cars???

Trucks and SUV's are designed to a different standard...

I would never use or expect a Corolla to tow and haul like a truck
Errmm, yes i think we all know and agree with that, but its your buddy who thinks otherwise, as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Corolla's may be reliable and inexpensive but they're not for everyone. For me, they'd be too small and too...basic. I like a little luxury to go with my vehicles that's why I love my Yukon Denali. .

Old 03-06-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
yeah, only parked in the gated driveways of a large chateu, lol. most europeans are driving something a little bit smaller...
Vehicle license fees in much of Europe are based on the engine displacement and insurance premiums are based in large part on Horse Power... so SUV's take a double Fee hit due to large engine and high horse power...

Non the less, I was still surprised at the number of SUV's I saw in Switzerland... both US models and the USA made BMW X5.

I also noticed the Government Security Forces in Prague using American SUV's and at the Salzburg music festival for VIP's

Not all the SUV's are American... In Bavaria I visited a riding academy and noticed just about every horse trailer was being pulled by a Mercedes ML and Range Rovers are very popular in England among the Landed Gentry...

So even in "Green" Europe with gas costing as much as $10 a gallon... SUV's still have a place...

Toyota and Honda have made significant in roads in Europe as has Kia... Toyota and Honda are not inexpensive cars in Europe and Toyota Corolla is considered a nice family car... even comes with an available diesel option.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-06-2008 at 01:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion