Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times

Advertisements

A Corolla is the best car in the world if you think it's the best car in the world.

Different folks have different needs and priorities. If good reliability and excellent MPG and range are important, I believe the Corolla fits your needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM

130 posts, read 524,545 times
first let me say, i didnt read every post.

i tortured and abused my corolla for years and it still kept running well past 250k!!!

for the past few years, toyota is finally getting it right with new styling, the new corolla has a pleasant look for once, instead of the usual boring bland look i am use too

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
The OP must not have owned one of the one's prone to sludging up the engine.

Rolling rod and main bearings into my mothers Corolla was fun.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 03-07-2008 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-07-2008, 12:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
A Corolla is the best car in the world if you think it's the best car in the world.

Different folks have different needs and priorities. If good reliability and excellent MPG and range are important, I believe the Corolla fits your needs.
calling the tail of a dog a leg does not make it a leg.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 5,977 times
Id say they are one of the best, as far as reliability...otherwise, fun factor is like 0...

remeber, a good car has to pass all the requirment for a buyer...
price, reliability,comfort, and funfactor...
if u have all this... then u have a GOOD car

my pick would be mazdaspeed 3 for a good car..

263hp
$ 22,000
4 door hatch

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I chose my '02 Corolla because I wanted a reliable car, and I don't need bells and whistles. I got the CE version, which means no power door locks or power windows. I can live without those amenities, though. I was just happy to get a new car with air conditioning and power steering!

The only way to get value from a car when you buy it brand new is to pay it off and then drive it until it dies. From what I've heard about Corollas, this could take a long time! My car only has 73,000 miles on it, so I'm sure it has a good long life ahead of it (barring any accidents, of course).

I will say, on the other side, that I had a '73 Firebird back in the mid-80s, and I loved that car! It "cornered" like nothing else I've ever driven. *sigh* However, it was a V-8, of course, and although it was fun to drive, it wasn't really practical.

Old 03-08-2008, 01:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
The only way to get value from a car when you buy it brand new is to pay it off and then drive it until it dies. From what I've heard about Corollas, this could take a long time! My car only has 73,000 miles on it, so I'm sure it has a good long life ahead of it (barring any accidents, of course).
Just keep to a strict oil change schedule and you will be fine... Some Toyota's have been prone to sludge build up... in every case, waiting too long to change the oil was a factor.

Another great things about Toyota's is their great resale and parts don't cost an arm and a leg either...

Do you have the "New" Style or "Old: Style Corolla? There was a mid 2002 model change.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:58 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
It's the old style; I bought it in August 2001. My old car (a Plymouth Colt) had 120,000 miles on it, and I didn't want to put more maintenance money into a car with that much mileage, plus it had no a/c, power steering, or power brakes!

Thanks for the tip about oil changes; I'm good about taking care of that every 3,000 miles or so. I learned about the importance of car maintenance the hard way; I had a Pontiac Phoenix that blew a head gasket, because I was too cheap to change the malfunctioning temperature gauge!

I was just checking the resale value, and you're right... Of course, I have no intention of selling it right now, but it's nice to know that I could get a decent price for it.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Oil Changes every 3000 miles is a rule I follow religiously, except for one vehicle I own with synthetic oil... that one the manufacturer says 15,000 miles and I go 7,500

Stop and go, short runs for errands and city driving is harder than highway driving.

Mom's Corolla was the first car she's owned with an automatic, power steering, air conditioning, air bags, radio, power windows and door locks... She was very unsure of buying such a luxurious car and wouldn't even drive it for the first week!

Old 03-08-2008, 10:07 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,847,817 times
Here is my vote for best car in the world. It's not the cheapest, it's not the most reliable, it's not the fastest either. It is a nice, semi luxurious daily driver that will get you from point A to point B, and when you're done with that you can take it to the track or auto-crossing. The Audi was really fun as well. Oh, and feel free to flame away with pre-conceived notions about euro cars and their fan base. I buy nothing for the name or image, and if Kia were to come out with a car that drove and handled like my baby for thousands less, I would be all over it.
Attached Thumbnails
toyota corolla the best car in the world.-dvc00006.jpg   toyota corolla the best car in the world.-dvc00007.jpg   toyota corolla the best car in the world.-dvc00010.jpg   toyota corolla the best car in the world.-dvc00011.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion