Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,963,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

The Corolla is an excellent car (albeit boring--kinda like a Yukon), and arguably more luxurious than a Denali. I sure know the switchgear, ride quality, interior noise levels and build quality are alot better on a Corolla.

We all have our opinions naturally, but give credit where credit is due.
For a small car, the Corolla does have a very smooth, quiet ride. Our Corolla has a much nicer quieter ride than our Accord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
For a small car, the Corolla does have a very smooth, quiet ride. Our Corolla has a much nicer quieter ride than our Accord.
The last model I drove was a 05, which was still nice and very quiet, Id like to drive a revamped 08 model. Most people who drive the "luxurious" barges wont even look at a Corolla, but they dont know what theyre missing. They easily dismiss them as cheap transportation, but little do they know that the "cheap transporation" does many things better (and quieter) than their "luxury" vehicles. Case in point: my cousin and his 02 5-series BMW (which he wrecked). Bragged up and down how luxurious it was and yada, yada, yada. Took a ride in my sister's 4 banger Accord and was hooked. After he wrecked the Beemer he went out and got an Accord, but V6 model. He wouldnt give Honda the time of day before, now he loves it more than his beloved Beemer. Some people are just clueless and take awhile to come around.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times
I am a big fan of Toyota Corollas and was all set to buy a new one in August.

Instead I bought a Camry with a manual transmission . Really like the Camry, but I would have liked the Corolla also. (wanted more room)

Got 33.2 on the last long trip we took and well satisfied.

I did get 42.1 on a long trip with my 88 Nova once ( it was a twin to the Corolla and came out of the same factory in California)

I got 256,000 trouble free miles out of it.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,342 times
Quote:
Its supposed to be "soft", etc. Its affordable, reliable transportation. Its not meant to be fun, exhilirating, etc. And for what its purpose is, yes, it might possibly be the worlds best car in that category.

Just curious, what do you think is the "worlds best car"? This I gotta hear.

Find a car thats as cheap as a Corolla, that lasts as long and costs as little to maintain. The Corolla is pretty much untouchable. Ive seen 400K on those cars and they STILL run perfectly.
good question because they won't find that car.reliability,gas,a to b,$$$$,quiet engine which you won't get from the accord all that and drive for 15 years.those that like the beemers,benz,the gas hogs those cars aren't better,i'm talking better as in better not toys,chrome rims,gas hogs,and to top it off money pits breaking your pockets on both ends gas,parts,labor,frustration from needing repairs,i'll take the corolla when i become a millionaire i'll think about those cars.the sad part is i see idiots that don't have money driving those cars and then complaining that this car sucks,no you can't afford tha car you should be in a corolla but your dumb friends won't think your cool anymore so i guess it's either the bus or the corolla or my friends.i think i will take the corolla i can afford it and live a car stress free life.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
A decade ago I wouldn't have even considered a Corolla, but now they come with overdrive automatic, cruise control, power windows, etc. They are also much quieter than they used to be, due to the lower RPM at highway speed and better sound insulation. I would certainly consider one now.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:26 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
The best mpg to date was 42.2 on a trip from Tahoe to the East Bay... Average around the city is in the low 30's.

Mom's is a 2002 "S" model that she ordered with sunroof, spoiler, side airbags, tilt wheel and cruise control and overdrive automatic...

It has plenty of power for trips to the mountains and the hills of San Francisco...

She keeps it looking like new and still gets compliments weekly... It will be 6 years old on March 19th...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
Quote:
Its supposed to be "soft", etc. Its affordable, reliable transportation. Its not meant to be fun, exhilirating, etc. And for what its purpose is, yes, it might possibly be the worlds best car in that category.

Just curious, what do you think is the "worlds best car"? This I gotta hear.

Find a car thats as cheap as a Corolla, that lasts as long and costs as little to maintain. The Corolla is pretty much untouchable. Ive seen 400K on those cars and they STILL run perfectly.

I know what it's SUPPOSED to be. Sheesh FYI the Corolla isn't the best car in its class, by many opinions including my own. Untouchable, LOL. that's why Toyota delayed the new model by a year after they saw the competition's lastest designs. They were hurting and everyone knows it.

Besides that, you can name lots of cars that can run for a very long time at low expense besides the Corolla.

What's the world's best car? That would require some heavy thought, but I guarantee you the top intellectual minds on the subject wouldn't pick the Corolla.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:07 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,963,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
I know what it's SUPPOSED to be. Sheesh FYI the Corolla isn't the best car in its class, by many opinions including my own.
Then what is the best car in its class, then? I might put the Civic right up there with the Corolla in its class, but I can't think of any other car that comes close.

Other cars in the Corolla's class include the Civic, Nissan Sentra, Chevy Cobalt, Ford Focus, Hyundai Elantra, Saturn Ion, Mazda 3, Dodge Neon, etc. Besides the Civic, none of those comes close to the Corolla in quality.

Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,863,771 times
Interesting how the subject is the "worlds best" yet you have focused mainly on comparing North American cars...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
A decade ago I wouldn't have even considered a Corolla, but now they come with overdrive automatic, cruise control, power windows, etc. They are also much quieter than they used to be, due to the lower RPM at highway speed and better sound insulation. I would certainly consider one now.
My 1990 Corolla had those options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion