Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 03:26 PM

6,897 posts, read 7,526,805 times

Advertisements

So, I've been waiting to find a used AWD Sienna in my area forever. One has come up at a dealership 2 1/2 hrs away, which is ok. It's got a perfect one-owner Carfax report, is right on point in pricing, and is everything I want, except for one thing: Toyota has issued a recall because the power doors on that model have a problem with opening unexpectedly. The dealer won't allow anyone to test drive the vehicle until Toyota comes up with a solve for that problem (they say that would be illegal.) But he says I can reserve this vehicle for $500 down (not refundable), and I can have the car when Toyota tells them how to fix it.

Does anyone have any good advice?

Any idea how soon Toyota will come up with a solution to this problem?

Do you think it is a good idea to reserve the car without test driving it?

Thanks SO much for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:31 PM

421 posts, read 537,567 times
Are you sure you want AWD? I have not kept up with every year and iteration; but it used to be, AWD Sienna came with runflat tires. Which have worse ride and cost more to replace (and minivans are known for being hard on tires). Maybe in 2013 they changed; but initially they removed the spare so as to make space for the AWD bits--hence the runflats.

Have you test driven any 2013 Siennas? FWD and AWD may drive slightly differently (in particular in regards to torque steer--steering may be most impacted); but putting aside how it drives, is this really the vehicle you want? Right space, "feels good", all the typical car shopping wants and needs?

I know it's nice having AWD, but it has to be asked: do you need AWD? Snow tires won't fix everything, but they do wonders just the same.

IMO, I wouldn't pay $500 to reserve the right to test drive. Sounds like fleecing to me. Let someone else get it.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:56 PM

6,897 posts, read 7,526,805 times
Thanks for answering.

I live in the country on a dirt/gravel farm road, which is off of a dirt/gravel county road. I drive a FWD Caravan now, and have gotten stuck twice WITH snow tires on. One time I was able to get myself free by using kitty litter and cardboard I had in my van, but the other time I had to walk home and call my wonderful mechanic for a tow. I'm 60 yrs old now and don't want to do that anymore. I need a van because part of my income is buying antique furniture at auctions and refinishing it - I just take the back seats out of a minivan and it is perfect for my needs.

I've sized Subarus and the Honda CRV and none have enough space for me, and I don't like pickups. So, I think I'm stuck getting a van. I didn't like the Grand Caravan I tried. I don't know if the AWD Sienna would make enough difference over the regular Sienna, but was hoping so.

So, hmmmmm.

Old 03-26-2017, 04:57 PM

421 posts, read 537,567 times
Fair enough on the AWD; sometimes you just need it.

I'd try driving a FWD Sienna first. Not sure why you ruled out the Grand Caravan, but I'd test drive the FWD Sienna 'cuz you can and because you may find reason to rule it out.

Not sure what else has space, AWD and is minivan like.

Just to be certain, a trailer of some sort is ruled out, right? A 5x8 would probably have more space than a minivan, and would allow a small SUV or the like. Downside of course is something else to register and maintain (but it should be cheap to do so); and of course mpg is awful while towing at highway speeds. And that backing up bit.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:02 AM

22,186 posts, read 29,160,495 times
Not sure where you live but AWD Sienna eat tires like you wouldn't believe. Just a heads up-We have people replacing them every 18-20k miles here in Colorado

Old 03-28-2017, 01:49 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,583,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
Are you sure you want AWD? I have not kept up with every year and iteration; but it used to be, AWD Sienna came with runflat tires. Which have worse ride and cost more to replace (and minivans are known for being hard on tires). Maybe in 2013 they changed; but initially they removed the spare so as to make space for the AWD bits--hence the runflats.
I have a Sienna XLE LTD AWD. I pulled off the run flats, replaced them with Michelin Premier A/S and purchased a donut (got a cover for it and threw it in the back). The van drives better than my Lexus AWD RX does.

As to the power door problem, simply hit the door lock switch from the inside manually. For some reason it doesn't do it electronically (set the switch on the dashboard to lock). IMO the door sensor is sending a delayed response to thinking there is a person in the doorway thus not latching correctly. OP can read multiple ways of dealing with this situation at siennachat dotcom.

Quote:
In the involved vehicles, there is a possibility that, under certain limited conditions, if the sliding door opening operation is impeded, the sliding door motor circuit could be overloaded, opening the fuse for the motor. If this occurs when the door latch is in an unlatched position, the door could open while driving,...

Old 04-10-2017, 06:26 PM

1,064 posts, read 612,864 times
We switched to the Bridgestone DriveGuard tires for our Sienna AWD. They are considerably better than the OEMs.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:30 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,912,118 times
I would not pay a dealer for a test drive. I don't believe that Toyota would agree with that dealer.

Toyota has been quite good at taking care of problems with their vehicles.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:28 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,117,566 times
Every dealer is handling the recall differently. I heard all sorts of answers on this issue, ranging from complete ignorance of the recall to outright denial. Never had one deny a test drive, though. Hell, we rented one from Toyota, and all they did was pull the fuse for the power door (why they didnt just push the button on the dash, I have no idea).

We eventually bought one private party. Made it way easier.

Mike

Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 PM

20,243 posts, read 36,912,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Every dealer is handling the recall differently. I heard all sorts of answers on this issue, ranging from complete ignorance of the recall to outright denial. Never had one deny a test drive, though. Hell, we rented one from Toyota, and all they did was pull the fuse for the power door (why they didnt just push the button on the dash, I have no idea).

We eventually bought one private party. Made it way easier.

Mike
The AWD version is used a local dealer as shuttle vehicles. The do quite well on the road icy conditions of the interior of Alaska. The Sienna has lots of room inside, which is great if you have a a few kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion