Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 09:17 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,548,114 times

Advertisements

I really need to change the oil in mine.

I like this car. It's punchy. It has a 1.6L .. much like a Civic EX just that Toyotas don't have a problem with disappearing from in front of your house or apartment.

I was going to go ask on YotaTech as well, but I can ask here first. I can think of at least one fairly useless forum.. that deals with cars..

What's the best oil, and sure, why not, filter?
And any harm in a cheap Purolator Classic white one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,337,858 times
Oil is always an opinionated topic. The bottom line is that it's more important that you have oil than What oil, so don't drive yourself crazy over "best". Next in importance would be using what the mfg suggests, in this case:

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/docu...1U/pdf/8-1.pdf

Oil grade:
API SH, “Energy−Conserving II” multi-
grade engine oil or ILSAC multigrade
engine oil is recommended.

with 10-30 for vehicles that never see below Zero (not freezing, zero), and 5-30 for vehicles that never see over 100.

Me, I use Mobile 1 Turbo-diesel and Truck oil in my Toyota truck, same oil I use in my turbo-diesel VW. Nice only having to buy one oil type for both my vehicles. It's a full synthetic so I go for extended oil changes (20k on the car, truck is driven less and I get antsy after ~2 years which is about 6~7k miles).

As for filters, I default to the Purolator Pure One for my truck (and OEM for my car). The cost difference is so minimal as to be easily ignored. If you're going to go the conventional oil with frequent change route, using a cheaper filter wouldn't bother me.

Again, it's more important that you have oil than brand, so don't stress it.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times
I have a 92 4Runner and I use OEM filters with Mobil Super 5000 10w30 oil.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:16 PM

18,756 posts, read 27,181,960 times
creamer, is your car taking oil in any manner or not? If it does, there is no point to go for expensive oils. Simply do frequent oil changes. Supertech from Walmart will do then.
If it does not take oil, then you got tight engine. Depending on your financial situation, you may consider then fancy conventional oils or even synthetic blend. I had very good success with Quaker State in conventional oils, back from my oi changes every 3 weeks. I had to. Was driving a lot.
As of the filter. Do NOT save on filters. Filters keep contaminants out of oil, so you buy the best filter money can buy. Best ones available are KN or Mobil 1, whichever one is better priced at the moment. They sort of trade places in that respect.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:10 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,266,155 times
Don't really need any particular brand of oil. What's more important is the manufacturer's recommended grade and that you change the oil regularly.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
In my experience with an 87 Camry, the car is not "hard" on the oil, it stays clean, so clean it's hard to see on the dipstick, for about 2000 of the 5000 miles OCI with Castrol High-Mileage oil.

I use a conventional oil because the distributor seal leaks, and the car uses a bit of oil. Like a quart every 3000, give or take.

As others have posted, just get something that meets the OEM spec, and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion