Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 07:44 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,113,530 times

Advertisements

That truck is considered the GOAT! solid SUV, great resale value, could be a keeper, family heirloom. Always looks fresh. Although the 4 runner of same vintage has the better body style. The 460 is the land cruiser is the Prado. Good buy, very capable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:32 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,399,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
For a family of five, honestly, I don't believe you're going to beat a minivan. We are a family of three. We have a 3 year old. My wife drives a RAV4. With having to have that car seat, it leaves little room for those who want to ride in the backseat. Plus, all the crap that she carries around in the very back, she could definitely use a bigger ride. But, like the OP, she hates the thoughts of a minivan. I'm not big on them either, but if our family was even just one child bigger, we'd probably need a minivan for all the stuff you have to take with you when you have toddlers.
You do realize that if you got her a bigger vehicle, she will just fill it up with more crap and then need an even bigger vehicle.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,581,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family first View Post
Thinking of looking at a used Lexus 2010-2013 models. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts? 4x4 or AWD which is a better system. Need to have room for 3 kids and curious how they would be ofr a family SUV.
I have the GX470 which has never had any problems. When the GX460 came out it had problems in it's first year. Thus I decided to not upgrade. The GX470 is now hitting it's 16th year of age. The only thing it's needed outside of maintenance where brake calipers once. It is FT 4x4 but you will not notice it as the computer controls it flawlessly. There is plenty of room for 5 people plus there is a flip up third row so 2 more can sit in the vehicle. We also have a AWD Sienna. It seats 4 comfortably. The 5th person would need to be placed in the 3rd row. My wife drives a RX. Too cramped. All three handle bad weather excellently.

Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,581,041 times
Quote:
Reason for the larger suv or van is purely space and comfort. It does have to be AWD because of snow factor. No I don't need it for off roading. I have a truck for that. It really may come down to the ability to have true Captains chairs for comfort in the second row and easiest access to the third row. And the sienna van does that well. I was just wondering what other vehicle can offer what that van does? I wish Honda had an awd minivan to compete against Toyota.....
I also have a 4x4 Chevy Avalanche for my true off road driving. But by what you are describing here a Sienna XLE AWD will do the job (I have it as the Limited XLE AWD). Just remember to get the right tires and keep in mind that it's a low rider.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:00 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
infiniti QX80.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:20 PM

607 posts, read 2,356,836 times
So the Sienna AWD's have run flats. If you switch them out for traditional tires, where do you put the Spare tire? The run flats seem like the only drawback so far on the minivan.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:09 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,698,072 times
Quote:
So the Sienna AWD's have run flats. If you switch them out for traditional tires, where do you put the Spare tire? The run flats seem like the only drawback so far on the minivan.
Not sure why this is a drawback for most people's use. When was the last time you had a flat or a complete tire destruction? On the road, over the last 30 years, I have had exactly zero flats. I have run flats on several of my cars and wouldn't hesitate to drive across country with them.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 AM

22,181 posts, read 29,152,023 times
Quote:
Be careful with the Sienna-it eats tires, especially AWD ones. Also, get rid of the run flats or if you're going to keep them get AAA. Run flat tires can get damaged if you drive on them too long they turn into dust inside. Also, they are more expensive than normal tires and ride harder due to reinforced side walls.

Also, if you're driving cross county and get a destroyed flat in the middle of BFE you will have a problem getting a replacement run flat tire. You'll have to be careful of tread depth differences with the AWD system. Toyota only allows 3/32nds or less before you can damage the drivetrain. (this goes for most AWD vehicles and not just Toyota-one of the drawbacks of AWD vehicles)

Old 11-10-2023, 06:58 PM

4,437 posts, read 3,631,557 times
I may buy this GOAT before the new designed 2024 model comes out! Buttery smooth V8, long-lasting simple 6 speed tranny, overbuilt parts and bolts, drives decently for a truck frame and it's not sized like a damn planet.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:40 PM

853 posts, read 847,739 times
Quote:
It's your cell phone. Call AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion