Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 08:42 AM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times

Advertisements

I really like the 2018 Camry, but the lack of Android Auto and the horrible reviews that Scout GPS Link receive give me pause. Videos I've seen of Scout in action on a Camry suggest that it works fine, but of course that's Toyota propaganda. I also tried Scout on my phone as an alternative to Google Maps, and while the graphics weren't that great, it seemed to do the job. Would love to hear the experience of Camry owners with Scout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 09:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I really like the 2018 Camry, but the lack of Android Auto and the horrible reviews that Scout GPS Link receive give me pause. Videos I've seen of Scout in action on a Camry suggest that it works fine, but of course that's Toyota propaganda. I also tried Scout on my phone as an alternative to Google Maps, and while the graphics weren't that great, it seemed to do the job. Would love to hear the experience of Camry owners with Scout.
I test drove a couple Camrys with the Scout Navigation and I didn't like it at all.

I went with the "dynamic navigation" on the V6, to avoid it.

This Scout Navigation is a real Achilles heel in an otherwise solid sedan.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:33 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
I have a new 2018 Camry and have yet to get the maps portion of Scout GPS to work. I've given up on in and just use Waze on my phone. Yes, I am pissed.

Old 04-09-2018, 11:25 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
/tangent: must be a certain amount of Schadenfreude when Toyota gets it wrong, because they seldom do.

My '07 Gen II Tacoma has been by a large margin a great utilitarian vehicle, best I've owned and I doubt will quit anytime soon. I've poured in about another ten grand aftermarket (i.e. optional) to wake it up, but no one said they were exciting off the showroom floor for (then) $25K, stock, even in the now-defunct sporty "X-Runner" trim.

Contrast to Gen III Tacomas which have impressed very few in the automotive press. I think Toyota rested on their laurels. These damn auto companies do that, all of them: Mercedes, after the 1970s, produced low quality trash with extreme repair bills and abysmal resale, to this day, on various models. BMW is erratic as all-hell; my '89 325i was pretty solid (not like Toyota, but solid) but my '96 E39 had more plastic than Hasbro. That, on a $57K (1996 dollars) car, for the love of Pete, indicating once again that German sedans are a loathsome investment even five years old.

And here we are with amateur-hour factory electronics in a 2018 Camry? A potentially downright-dangerous GPS system? Really? Really? I tore all the stock radio parts out of my '07 within a couple frustrating years, but back then all of it was primitive pretty much by-design. Today, I'd expect much better. MUCH better is definitely out there, even OEM, though one trip to a quality speed shop in your local big city and $5K will install a magnificent stereo with 1000W dual amps, Focal speakers, latest Kenwood nav with Android connect and etc. I'm about to upgrade my aftermarket system, that is finally going 'round the bend after eight years of more-than satisfactory ownership and investment, vs. the stock trash.

I'd demand money from Toyota over that stupid thing, looking into it a little today, especially if it navigated me INTO hazards as it seems to for at least a few folks online. Glad I don't own that. Tear it out, if possible, and double-din something that actually works. My eight year old Kenwood (has been) far from perfect, but is far superior to stock and hasn't ever navigated me into trouble: Garmin-based.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:03 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
/tangent: must be a certain amount of Schadenfreude when Toyota gets it wrong, because they seldom do.

My '07 Gen II Tacoma has been by a large margin a great utilitarian vehicle, best I've owned and I doubt will quit anytime soon. I've poured in about another ten grand aftermarket (i.e. optional) to wake it up, but no one said they were exciting off the showroom floor for (then) $25K, stock, even in the now-defunct sporty "X-Runner" trim.

Contrast to Gen III Tacomas which have impressed very few in the automotive press. I think Toyota rested on their laurels. These damn auto companies do that, all of them: Mercedes, after the 1970s, produced low quality trash with extreme repair bills and abysmal resale, to this day, on various models. BMW is erratic as all-hell; my '89 325i was pretty solid (not like Toyota, but solid) but my '96 E39 had more plastic than Hasbro. That, on a $57K (1996 dollars) car, for the love of Pete, indicating once again that German sedans are a loathsome investment even five years old.

And here we are with amateur-hour factory electronics in a 2018 Camry? A potentially downright-dangerous GPS system? Really? Really? I tore all the stock radio parts out of my '07 within a couple frustrating years, but back then all of it was primitive pretty much by-design. Today, I'd expect much better. MUCH better is definitely out there, even OEM, though one trip to a quality speed shop in your local big city and $5K will install a magnificent stereo with 1000W dual amps, Focal speakers, latest Kenwood nav with Android connect and etc. I'm about to upgrade my aftermarket system, that is finally going 'round the bend after eight years of more-than satisfactory ownership and investment, vs. the stock trash.

I'd demand money from Toyota over that stupid thing, looking into it a little today, especially if it navigated me INTO hazards as it seems to for at least a few folks online. Glad I don't own that. Tear it out, if possible, and double-din something that actually works. My eight year old Kenwood (has been) far from perfect, but is far superior to stock and hasn't ever navigated me into trouble: Garmin-based.

There is talk that possibly there will be a software update in 2019 to make the current system (2018) Apple/Android compatible. If they don't do this, I will definitely be putting in some sort of claim.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,795 times
I've never had such a horrible GPS system as I have had with SCOUT. HORRIBLE. Is there anyway I can override this terrible GPS with another system?

Old 07-13-2020, 09:34 AM

3 posts, read 2,989 times
Toyota should be ashamed for putting out Scout gps system in their cars. This is the most inefficient and shameful GPS software I have ever experienced. I have used Gamin, Megallan and Kia GPS navigation as well as current WAZE and Google Maps. Scout has "shutdown" and frozen on my Toyota Sienna in a little as 15 minutes of operation. Even when it was up and running, it failed to navigate me to known locations in NJ.
A useless resource in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion