U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2018, 06:38 AM

103 posts, read 63,741 times

Advertisements

I have a 2015 xB with almost 19K miles, that is all up to date on the maintenance.

Back in November 2017 when I had it last serviced, everything checked out okay. Yet about 2 weeks after the service, I noticed one day out of the blue, while sitting in a quiet parking lot at work waiting for my shift to start, I heard a low pitch sounding noise that sounded like a whirling noise coming from somewhere behind the radio and built-in CD player. I happened to be listening to the radio while the key was in the accessory mode. I donít use the CD player and there was no CD in the player, so other than the radio being on, there should not have been anything running. When I turned the key to the off position, the noise stopped, yet when I put it back in the accessory mode (with the radio off), the noise started again. I started the car (but the engine was too loud to tell if the noise was still present), when I turned the car completely off, the noise stopped. But when I put it back in the accessory mode with the radio off, I heard the noise again. Four hours later, I returned back to my car at break time, put the car in the accessory mode (with the radio off), and the noise was gone.

The months that followed, the noise never came back whenever I listened to the radio in the accessory mode until about 2 weeks ago . . . it happened for a second time out of the blue that day . . . and thus far it has not made that noise again. Then this past late Saturday afternoon, I ran some errands for about 45 minutes, then parked the xB back in the garage. Then when I went to put something in the garage on Sunday morning (about 12 hours after it had been parked in the garage), I heard what sounded like a small motor whirling noise . . . this time coming from what looks like a black box that is mounted under the car about where a passenger would sit behind the driver seat. Since I was in a hurry, I did not have time to inspect the noise further, since I was trying to get ready for church, but by the time I went back into the garage (to take the other family car to drive to church), the noise coming from the xB had stopped. Yet it was startling to hear the car make this noise, since it had sat for about 12 hours in the garage and there was no key in the ignition.

So I was curious to know if this is a common noise that sporadically happens? I use my computer a lot . . . so ďto meĒ it almost sounds like in some ways, the low pitch whirling noise I am hearing is like a disc drive running and doing an update.

I really canít take the car to the dealer at this point, since I donít know exactly where the noise is coming from and since it has only made this weird noise 3 different times out of the blue and the noise does not last.

Any thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 01:27 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
That probably is just that - Cd spinning inside the ROM.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:26 AM

103 posts, read 63,741 times
Thank you ukrkoz, for your help. If this is the case, what is "this" cd and ROM for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion