Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:12 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times

Advertisements

$5,000 is not that much really. Most people are looking for excuses to get a new vehicle and not looking at reality. I think most people commenting here, myself included, are saying to fix the T100. Don't sell your soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 10:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I just saw one on eBay for $4500.00 with 200K miles on it, clean, with no rust. If you can afford 2K more you can buy one with 125K on the odometer and it will probably last a lifetime.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/T100-T-100-...Ja0V70&vxp=mtr

As far as the engine goes, I would buy a complete replacement motor for your truck if you wish to keep it, I wouldn't trust someone to put in a used motor, as you will be on the merry go round of paying for repairs. If your truck is in good shape, not rusted out, and everything in reasonable condition for its age, I would start checking on what a new motor costs. I cannot vouch for the quality but AutoZone, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, they all sell new motors. You could have them deliver this motor to the shop of your choice and tell them to fix the brakes while they're at it.

A new motor is a new motor. Zero miles on it. Brand new. You put a used motor in there, it might end up costing you more than a new motor.
It’s $6995 buy it now price.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:04 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I know a guy in Maine who builds log cabins with the Swedish scribe method. He drives a T100. It has had a hard life and it is dead reliable. Oil, brakes and tires are all he has needed. Oh yeah, wiper blades every few years.

https://www.kbb.com/toyota/t100-regular-cab/1998/

Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,577 times
My sister bought a brand new T100 4x4 back in the late 90's. When the truck was about 2 weeks old her boyfriend took the truck to some kind of mud pit to see what it could do. Somehow he blew up the motor. He got some buddies to help him yank it out of the mud, they took it home and hosed it off and had it towed to the dealer. The dealer found mud packed everywhere in the engine compartment and denied the warranty.

This guy didn't have a job and couldn't help my sister pay for the repairs. She filed for bankruptcy to wash herself clean of the truck. Then she had a kid with this looser and then broke up with him. The kid grew up to be a giant looser like his dad, and is now in jail for robbing some liquor stores or something.

Anyways, yeah those Toyotas are nice trucks. I vote for fixing it!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It’s $6995 buy it now price.
Read what I wrote. Seriously.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM

295 posts, read 354,200 times
I believe the v6 from the tacoma is a straight drop in. I think that's what my dad did on his when our cousin blew the motor out. I don't know the details but I can tell it drove a lot better after the new motor. Better power and the motor didn't seem to complain as much if you took the revs a little higher than with normal driving.

He's been wanting a Tundra for some time now but I know even if he did get one he'll still hang on to that T100.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Read what I wrote. Seriously.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:11 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Has anyone ever made a better truck than Toyota? I remember an oversized Dodge Ram getting stuck in the mud back in the 80's, and here comes this early 80's Toyota pickup, he hooks a rope to his bumper, and promptly pulls his bumper off. Then he hooks it to the frame and pulls this oversized Dodge out of the mudpit, a truck much bigger than the Toyota.

Then, of course, there was the great episode of the British guys trying to destroy a Toyota pickup, and it just kept starting and running after every attempt.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
Have you seen the videos about Trying to Kill a Toyota? I was going to post one but there are so many to choose from.

I drive a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. I got it in 2014 and I've only ever seen 2 others on the road in the past 4yrs. I've replaced the transmission, brakes, radiator, shocks, ball joints... It's still cheaper than a car payment and I'm nearly in love with it. (more of a love/hate) I guess it has nearly 250K miles on it. Still going strong though I dump a quart of oil in it every couple of weeks. Anywho - you know what you've got. Just realize what else can go wrong and how much it will cost if it breaks right away. For me about all that's left is the engine. *gulp*

Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Has anyone ever made a better truck than Toyota? I remember an oversized Dodge Ram getting stuck in the mud back in the 80's, and here comes this early 80's Toyota pickup, he hooks a rope to his bumper, and promptly pulls his bumper off. Then he hooks it to the frame and pulls this oversized Dodge out of the mudpit, a truck much bigger than the Toyota.

Then, of course, there was the great episode of the British guys trying to destroy a Toyota pickup, and it just kept starting and running after every attempt.
I used to pull guys out with my 85 4Runner which was bone stock. Still kicking myself for selling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion