U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:25 AM

4,354 posts, read 4,043,434 times

Advertisements

WOW! So many replies since the last time I checked. Thanks, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How do you figure 5 k for a engine and tires? Unless you’re having the engine installed. Tires should be 31/10.5/15 which should be pretty cheap online. You can go to 235/75/15 as those were also useable. Walmart has Goodyear wranglers for $50 each.

If everything on the truck works I would replace the engine and put a set of normal tires on it and drive it. I wouldn’t bother with a used engine. You simply dont know who and what has happened to it. Unless you can see it run or buy it from a wrecking yard with low miles. Even then I probably wouldn’t. Spend the money on a factory type reman long block. Especially if you plan on keeping it. Toyota may have crate motors. I would buy something from a reputable reman outfit. Prices seem to range from 1300-2500.
If you can do the work you’ll save a ton on labor. I would replace all your hoses water pump, vacuum and heater fire, new plugs too.

Japan Engines
5 K is just a rough ball park figure that I came up with by talking with folks around here and doing some checking on the Internet. I also want to get my T100 a brake job and it needs a new battery - stuff can start adding up pretty quickly as we all know.

I'm of the female persuasion and while I'm clever enough to do all sorts of things, I'm not clever enough to do a DIY engine swap - plus, I'd have to buy all the tools, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
A used long block is a whole engine (basically) that was pulled out of another truck at some point. If you have an engine that is totally trashed this is often the easiest and fastest way to re-power a vehicle. Depending on how trashed yours is, it could be possible to re-build it just using a new block and most of the other parts from your current engine. This could be cheaper but the catch is rebuilding an engine the correct way is not something any old corner mechanic shop is generally going be qualified to do.

Unless you know somebody who hand builds engines the right way I wouldn't trust any random bozo to do this. It is a bit of an art and a science. Factory engines for new vehicles are built in clean rooms using multimillion dollar machines and highly skilled workers that do nothing but build engines. The used long block is usually a safer bet because the engine internally is still an original factory-built engine, just used. Sometimes they even give warranties on them.

Does the engine still start and run? A more specific diagnosis of what is actually wrong with it is the most important place to start. If it just needs some head gaskets then the engine might be fixable. Depends how badly you allowed it to overheat.
Thanks for giving me more detailed info. The engine does start and run. A number of "shade tree mechanics" have given me differing opinions as to head gaskets, etc. But I have learned my lesson the hard way. I want a REAL, competent mechanic to do the work on my T100 this time around. I'm educating myself as much as I can so I can ask an IRL mechanic the right questions and make a better informed decision as to which route to go - rebuilt engine vs used long block and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Ya better do what it takes to keep that T100. They're too cool. I never spend more than 2k for any rig (musclecar projects excepted) and I have not been able to find a T100 after years of looking. They hold value and just don't quit.

They're relatively easy to work on - a small independent mechanic isn't gonna charge more than 1k to do the install you spoke of. Hell, just watch some youtube videos on "T100 swap" and DIY.
I never knew that other people loved T100's as much as I do until I put mine up for sale on Craigslist right after the engine went kaput. I was amazed at the response. Guys who lived hundreds of miles away called and left me voice mails begging me to hold the truck for them and they'd wire me the money ahead of time if I I promised not to sell it to someone else. The volume of replies made me think that maybe I should reconsider giving up on my T100 without first having a good understanding of how hard it would be to fix and how much it would cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Has anyone ever made a better truck than Toyota? I remember an oversized Dodge Ram getting stuck in the mud back in the 80's, and here comes this early 80's Toyota pickup, he hooks a rope to his bumper, and promptly pulls his bumper off. Then he hooks it to the frame and pulls this oversized Dodge out of the mudpit, a truck much bigger than the Toyota.

Then, of course, there was the great episode of the British guys trying to destroy a Toyota pickup, and it just kept starting and running after every attempt.
My T100 is my third Toyota. I got 400,000 miles on the other two and they did everything I asked them to do. That T100 can drive over Jeep trails where no pick-up should be able to go. I always turn around and wave to amazed Jeep drivers I might encounter. I'd put my Toyota up against just about any American Ford or Dodge truck. I've forded streams, pulled huge fallen trees out of my way in the middle of torrential storms on some back road in the high mountains, driven it 50 or 60 miles up intermittent stream beds in the desert - you name it. I feel like super girl in my Toyota!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Have you seen the videos about Trying to Kill a Toyota? I was going to post one but there are so many to choose from.

I drive a 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. I got it in 2014 and I've only ever seen 2 others on the road in the past 4yrs. I've replaced the transmission, brakes, radiator, shocks, ball joints... It's still cheaper than a car payment and I'm nearly in love with it. (more of a love/hate) I guess it has nearly 250K miles on it. Still going strong though I dump a quart of oil in it every couple of weeks. Anywho - you know what you've got. Just realize what else can go wrong and how much it will cost if it breaks right away. For me about all that's left is the engine. *gulp*
I'll have to check those videos out. Maybe I can pick up a few tips - HAH!

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I'm feeling much better about succeeding in bringing my T100 back from the dead. I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM

2,957 posts, read 1,579,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Thanks again to everyone who replied. I'm feeling much better about succeeding in bringing my T100 back from the dead. I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress.
I find it hard to believe your mechanic friend "botched" a radiator replacement, leading to a cracked block. If that was indeed the case, he should help you out financially with a replacement engine. How is that possible-didn't add coolant?

If it's an auto transmission be sure to drain and replace this fluid sometime soon, and the axles too on this old truck.

Old 04-17-2018, 04:29 PM

4,324 posts, read 2,194,004 times
A guy we used to live down the road from (Mancos) keeps his old trucks (not Toyotas) running by buying newer engines to replace the blown ones. He told my husband that he would not trust a rebuild job to any Cortez shop. Consider yourself warned.

Possibly on a similar note, we have been finding out that the area's standards for homebuilding quality are...not up to snuff. I'm not talking granite counters vs laminate, just basic stuff. Not going to go into details here, but WOW I am shocked at what is considered acceptable "professional" practice. Not all providers, of course, but enough to make us really wonder, especially after hearing rants from other people who have lived elsewhere.

Good luck finding a competent engine rebuilder, or maybe getting a decent used one to put in.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I find it hard to believe your mechanic friend "botched" a radiator replacement, leading to a cracked block. If that was indeed the case, he should help you out financially with a replacement engine. How is that possible-didn't add coolant?

If it's an auto transmission be sure to drain and replace this fluid sometime soon, and the axles too on this old truck.
As I wrote in my OP, it's a long sad story. I was living by myself in a house situated in the middle of a good sized working ranch about 6 miles south of town. I have a couple of water shares (more precious than rubies in the arid American West), and I can have chickens or pigs and a horse or two if I want - all for a mere $100 bucks/month. The area is drop dead beautiful, located right up against Mesa Verde National Park to the east and the Sleeping Ute Mountain Range to the west.

I met my "friend" through his wife (who is a REAL friend) when they were still married. The two ended up getting a divorce and that guy started showing up at my place every other day, apparently hoping I might become wifie #2 - what a deal! A chick, a ranch, water shares for practically free! What deadbeat could resist? I told him from the git go that I was NOT and would NEVER be interested, but when my truck started over-heating, he spied what he thought was his big chance.

I'd managed to more or less shoo him off, but when he heard I was having a problem with my truck, he showed up like a mechanic in shining armor, claiming vast expertise and promising to fix my Toyota for free out of the kindness of his little motor oil drenched heart. I'd just gotten laid off my paying day job (you can't make much money on a few chickens and a weaner pig and a veggie garden), so I took him up on his offer.

He claimed that the radiator had a leak in it and he stuck what looked like a piece of grey chewing gum over the spot where he claimed the leak was. He also put a new thermostat in the radiator. After the chewing gum had dried for a couple of days, he told me that my truck was good to go except - little did I know that this genius had managed to put in the thermostat with it stuck in the closed position. When I got in my truck to drive it into town, the liquid couldn't get into get to the radiator, and my truck overheated like global warming in hell. My temperature gauge didn't indicate how hot the truck was running - it stayed stuck on low and viola! I actually had flames coming out from under the hood which alerted me that I might just have a problem. Boy, did I ever!

I sat in my truck waiting for the engine to cool, refilled the radiator with water from a jerry can that I keep stashed in the back, and limped my poor T100 2 miles back to home where its been sitting in the side yard every since.

Needless to say, I was more than a little bit angry and demanded that the loser who did this to my truck pay to have it repaired. HAH! He finally got out of my life for once and for all and in the past year I've seen him once - at Wally World - where he quickly turned round and headed for the exit as soon as he saw me.

So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:41 PM

2,957 posts, read 1,579,308 times
Quote:
So that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
That's quite a story. Sorry I missed that this is a manual transmission truck the first time.

I think you should hook up with some mechanically inclined Toyota folks, either male or female, in your neck of the woods who can and will actually help you. There are forums dedicated to Toyota vehicles on the internet and tons of enthusiasts around there as potential good Samaritans. At the least, they could point you in the direction of a reputable shop. Good luck!

Bubble gum as a radiator patch? It would be very difficult to put in a new thermostat so that it'd be stuck closed-give him a Darwin award for that too.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM

4,321 posts, read 6,564,178 times
I'm another T100 lover (owned a '97 SR5 from 2003 till about 6 weeks ago), still hate that I sold it but life changes what we need.

I'd long decided that if my engine ever went, I'd swap in a diesel. There are 2 common swaps, a Volkswagen motor (I think the 1999~2003 ALH was the most common, or it may be I'm just remembering it that way because I've owned a 2001 Jetta diesel since 2004 and have equal love for it as I did the T), and a non-US Toyota diesel from another market.

But, for the Fastest and Cheapest fix, I'd buy a 5vz-fe (3.4l Toy v6) and just do a direct swap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-...paZfLu&vxp=mtr $1000 (that was just the first result) for something use, looks like $3k for something rebuilt by a reputable company.

Maybe 2nd in line is to buy another T100 so you have a complete truck and a spares truck. I only managed to get $6k for my immaculate '96 with 160k miles on it, so its not like they have a ton of value.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm another T100 lover (owned a '97 SR5 from 2003 till about 6 weeks ago), still hate that I sold it but life changes what we need.

I'd long decided that if my engine ever went, I'd swap in a diesel. There are 2 common swaps, a Volkswagen motor (I think the 1999~2003 ALH was the most common, or it may be I'm just remembering it that way because I've owned a 2001 Jetta diesel since 2004 and have equal love for it as I did the T), and a non-US Toyota diesel from another market.

But, for the Fastest and Cheapest fix, I'd buy a 5vz-fe (3.4l Toy v6) and just do a direct swap. https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Toyota-...paZfLu&vxp=mtr $1000 (that was just the first result) for something use, looks like $3k for something rebuilt by a reputable company.

Maybe 2nd in line is to buy another T100 so you have a complete truck and a spares truck. I only managed to get $6k for my immaculate '96 with 160k miles on it, so its not like they have a ton of value.
Hmmm...

Now there's a thought. It might just be worth my while to get a second T100 for spares. Thank you!

Old 04-18-2018, 03:30 PM

4,236 posts, read 2,078,532 times
My deceased grandpa had a Toyota T100 regular cab with a six speed manual transmission with manual locks mirrored and windows I believe and it is still there at my aunt’s cottage but the only failure it has that I’m aware of is that it has transmission issues but otherwise it runs fine

Old 04-18-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
My deceased grandpa had a Toyota T100 regular cab with a six speed manual transmission with manual locks mirrored and windows I believe and it is still there at my aunt’s cottage but the only failure it has that I’m aware of is that it has transmission issues but otherwise it runs fine
Too bad it's so far away otherwise I'd make an offer to you to buy it for parts!

Old 04-20-2018, 04:24 PM

6,250 posts, read 6,192,494 times
Quote:
WOW! So many replies since the last time I checked. Thanks, everyone!

5 K is just a rough ball park figure that I came up with by talking with folks around here and doing some checking on the Internet. I also want to get my T100 a brake job and it needs a new battery - stuff can start adding up pretty quickly as we all know.

I'm of the female persuasion and while I'm clever enough to do all sorts of things, I'm not clever enough to do a DIY engine swap - plus, I'd have to buy all the tools, etc.

Thanks for giving me more detailed info. The engine does start and run. A number of "shade tree mechanics" have given me differing opinions as to head gaskets, etc. But I have learned my lesson the hard way. I want a REAL, competent mechanic to do the work on my T100 this time around. I'm educating myself as much as I can so I can ask an IRL mechanic the right questions and make a better informed decision as to which route to go - rebuilt engine vs used long block and so forth.
What does the oil look like on the dip stick and what does the coolant look like in the reservoir? The coolant should be green and basically clean/clear looking. Shouldn’t be any oily residue or opaqueness to it. The oil should not have any signs of water in it or look more like clocolate milk than honey or molassas. Either one of those things means trouble in paradise.

Did you notice the engine eating oil or coolant too fast? A healthy engine will maintain stable fluid levels for months on end and thousands of miles. If you’re having to dump quarts of oil of coolant into it every few weeks it usually means something is wrong.

I would almost just take it to Toyota and let them run the tests on it and give you a report what they suspect is wrong. If it still runs and drives there’s a good chance it is fixable. They probably wouldn’t charge much worse than any other competent shop to do the brakes and battery either. (Tires probably not)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion