U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 01:04 PM

6,329 posts, read 10,486,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
The back of the 2020 corolla sedan looks like a ford. Japanese Fiesta?
You meant 2019 Corolla sedan? I disliked the rear end of most compact cars. They are not their best looking part unless it is a hatchback.

Rear seats are another awful area, especially with the Corolla Hatchback. Even when adjusting the front seat for a bigger person like myself, the rear seat still had decent leg room but the doors/opening of the rear is just way too tight! Made me think it was designed by Oompa Loompas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 03:42 PM

Yup, I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Corolla Hatch (XSE trim), and .....stick shift!

No Ragrets!

No, seriously, none!
Attached Thumbnails
2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback-corolla-hatchback-01.jpg   2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback-corolla-hatchback-02.jpg  

Old 12-31-2018, 06:06 PM

4,751 posts, read 7,277,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Yup, I pulled the trigger on a 2019 Corolla Hatch (XSE trim), and .....stick shift!

No Ragrets!

No, seriously, none!
SWEET!

I will say that I find it just a tad small and am not completely convinced of the Toyota design language projecting mouth and tail - trying a little too hard - but it is a good looking vehicle and of just a handful right now that I would be interested in of any marque. Every review I’ve seen heartily praises its driving dynamics.

Love the white and, goodness sakes, a manual transmission! God save the manuals!

Nice purchase. I am sure you will have a blast and all that fun with Toyota reliability to boot!

Old 01-02-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
SWEET!

I will say that I find it just a tad small and am not completely convinced of the Toyota design language projecting mouth and tail - trying a little too hard - but it is a good looking vehicle and of just a handful right now that I would be interested in of any marque. Every review I’ve seen heartily praises its driving dynamics.

Love the white and, goodness sakes, a manual transmission! God save the manuals!

Nice purchase. I am sure you will have a blast and all that fun with Toyota reliability to boot!
Thank you!

Yes, it is a small car, but that is what I wanted! I am not a small guy but the driver seat/space is quite accommodating even for someone like me (6'2" / 227lbs). Surprisingly, there is decent amount of head and shoulder space. Coming from a full size truck (Silverado 1500) which I still have and drive on occasion, it didn't feel awkward. Visibility is decent though surely, it couldn't compare to a full size truck or a mid/large SUV.

The electronic steering is a bit sensitive but considering that I have only driven it like 25 miles or so, I know I will get used to it.

After almost 20 years, going back to stick shift was a bit of a concern but of all the vehicles I have test driven in the last year or so, this car has the smoothest shifting compared to 2017 VW GTI, Veloster, Mazda3, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2019 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Hyundai Genesis Coupe.

I have drivenbunch of different stick shift cars like 1982 Ford EXP, 1987 Ford Mustang, 1987 Honda CRX, 1984 BMW 318i, 1981 240D, 1982 VW Rabbit Diesel truck, 1983 Honda Accord hatch and 1990 Chevy Silverado.

iM (rev matching) technology makes shifting so much easier and fun but I am sure I will eventually attempt to drive with it switched off for a more visceral experience.

I probably won't sell my truck for a while as it does come in handy. Since I have couple of motorcycles which one I commute with, I didn't care about buying something fast or luxurious. Driving the Corolla is way more fun than the truck. I like engaging with the vehicles I am riding which is why I like riding motorcycles. I feel more in control and focused on the road when I am riding a stick shift, and it does require it compared to a automatic transmission vehicle.

If people were driving stick shift, especially in a cit traffic, I doubt they would be able to get distracted due to having to use both hands. Automatic vehicles have lowered the standard for good driving and made it more suitable for people to do irresponsible, stupid stuff like do their make-up, chat/text on their phone or eat.

I digress...

I know I will like the Corolla more as I put more miles on it!

Old 01-05-2019, 03:36 PM

4,751 posts, read 7,277,542 times
Quote:
Thank you!

iM (rev matching) technology makes shifting so much easier and fun but I am sure I will eventually attempt to drive with it switched off for a more visceral experience.

I probably won't sell my truck for a while as it does come in handy. Since I have couple of motorcycles which one I commute with, I didn't care about buying something fast or luxurious. Driving the Corolla is way more fun than the truck. I like engaging with the vehicles I am riding which is why I like riding motorcycles. I feel more in control and focused on the road when I am riding a stick shift, and it does require it compared to a automatic transmission vehicle.

If people were driving stick shift, especially in a cit traffic, I doubt they would be able to get distracted due to having to use both hands. Automatic vehicles have lowered the standard for good driving and made it more suitable for people to do irresponsible, stupid stuff like do their make-up, chat/text on their phone or eat.

I digress...

I know I will like the Corolla more as I put more miles on it!
Yeah I love my very “analog” (it actually came with a standard cassette player lol, never used) ‘02 WRX Wagon I bought new in late ‘01. I’ve found even in heavy traffic SoCa that manual shifting is pretty much muscle memory easy and you won’t see me texting while driving that’s for sure! It’s only got 71k miles so even as I peruse the latest offerings once in a while I still don’t see any compelling replacement out there that has better driving dynamics, (love the steering feel!) performance and packaging than my goofy bug-eyes wagon.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Yeah I love my very ďanalogĒ (it actually came with a standard cassette player lol, never used) Ď02 WRX Wagon I bought new in late Ď01. Iíve found even in heavy traffic SoCa that manual shifting is pretty much muscle memory easy and you wonít see me texting while driving thatís for sure! Itís only got 71k miles so even as I peruse the latest offerings once in a while I still donít see any compelling replacement out there that has better driving dynamics, (love the steering feel!) performance and packaging than my goofy bug-eyes wagon.
Ha-hah, thank you for chiming in!
Yeah, it turned out that muscle memory you mentioned wasn't chiving with the iM (rev matching) technology all that well. I turned it off today on my way from the gym and wow, just wow!

I doubt I will ever be turning it on again. The manual tranny felt like the old school ones, and my timing became way better, so, it dawned on my that iM feature was not for people who are used to driving stick shift cars from decades earlier. It is more geared towards people either new to it or bad at it.

Another thing is the steering. As nice and effortless as the newer technology (whatever it is called) may seem, I like and prefer the hydraulic steering much better. There is no feedback like you would get with a hydraulic power-steering.

One minor annoyance with the car is the location of the USB port. Not sure why they put it at such a hard to see/reach spot. It almost makes it unsafe to change drives while driving. It should have been somewhere on or very near the infotainment system.

Other than those, it really is a nice car and fun, too!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 PM

160 posts, read 121,005 times
Quote:

No Ragrets!

No, seriously, none!
Great looking car - wish we still made them here in California...enjoy!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:39 PM

589 posts, read 247,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
They are still made in the US but in Mississippi and Tesla uses the old Toyota factory if you want a car made in California

Old Today, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaPlaya View Post
Thank you, and I am!

Sadly, I used to think buying American would help American Automobile manufactures but that was not the case. I still have my Silverado and love it, but, I doubt I will buy another now that they are manufactured almost entirely overseas (I won't say what country but it starts with a C").

Ironically, I believe 70% of the Toyotas sold in the US are manufactured in the US. Go figure!

CA lost Nissan first then several years back Toyota. I reckon Honda is next. Not gonna get into details because it is all ugly politics, and CA is very good at it.

Old Today, 05:05 PM

14,044 posts, read 30,199,981 times
Quote:

CA lost Nissan first then several years back Toyota. I reckon Honda is next. Not gonna get into details because it is all ugly politics, and CA is very good at it.
Cars made in CA often have terrible paint quality due to the stateís loc VOC requirements. I have a 1987 Pontiac Firebird that was made in Van Nuys, but at the same time GM also made them in Norwood, OH. The CA cars had paint that would start peeling off after a few years, while the paint on the OH cars lasted much longer.

Same thing with the Tacoma that was made at the current Tesla plant, the paint quality often wasnít so great, but when they switched production to TX it seemed like it improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion