U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:04 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,975,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'm going to test drive it tomorrow afternoon. We'll see if the offer is legit. I have a feeling I'll like the car, but hate the dealership. From the Yelp reviews, it appears they don't have a very good reputation.
Take your time after they make their "final offer." Even if you have to leave and go get a coffee or dinner or a walk in the park (or sleep on it), they should be okay with you needing a little bit of time to think about it. If not, there's other Toyota dealerships. Good luck!

P.S. We wouldn't mind a little review from your test drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 08:30 PM

7,399 posts, read 11,153,781 times
Ok, Phil. Here's my impressions:

First, the grill. Much bigger and since it is made out of plastic it sort of looks cheap. I realize I have a plastic grill on my current one, but since the new style is so much larger it really stands out. I saw one in the showroom as soon as I walked in was on a bright blue car . The car I arranged to drive was black and not as noticeable.

I thought the driver's seat comfort was much improved. The car I drove had power, heated seats and lumbar support which I really, really like. Much better support, overall. I sat in the back seat briefly and it did not seem to be as comfortable as the one I currently own although it might have more leg room. I don't really care about that, how often do you sit in the back seat of your own car?

The car drove nicely, overall. The new engine version was pretty loud on the highway. Not a huge negative for me, but I understand some people don't like it. The transmission seemed to shift smoothly. I saw one review on YouTube where the guy was complaining about wind noise coming from the car ceiling. I didn't hear that. I didn't open any windows or the sunroof since it was 27 degrees outside so I don't know if there was any whistling noise there.

Basically, the car handled much the same as my current one, with maybe a little bit more power or at least it seemed like it.
No complaints there.

I asked the salesman to turn on the radio so I could hear the sound system. It sounded good to me. I understand it was the standard equipment on the XLE but it can be upgraded.

Now we get to the screen. It was big, but it still bothers me that it intrudes on your line of sight. I know Toyota is not the only manufacturer who is doing this but I wonder if this is going to be a trend that will disappear in a couple of years? I did not like this. I'm also unclear about the navigation system. I thought they had an independent one. I think it is tied to your iPhone and will only work with your app. I know they don't have software that will work with android phones yet and if you don't have a smart phone at all, you can't use it. I didn't hear exactly what my salesman said and I have an iPhone, anyway.

Overall, the car seemed a little bigger than what I currently have. Supposedly, that is not true except by maybe a couple of inches, but it just felt bigger.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'd be glad to answer questions.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:19 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,975,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Ok, Phil. Here's my impressions:

First, the grill. Much bigger and since it is made out of plastic it sort of looks cheap. I realize I have a plastic grill on my current one, but since the new style is so much larger it really stands out. I saw one in the showroom as soon as I walked in was on a bright blue car . The car I arranged to drive was black and not as noticeable.

I thought the driver's seat comfort was much improved. The car I drove had power, heated seats and lumbar support which I really, really like. Much better support, overall. I sat in the back seat briefly and it did not seem to be as comfortable as the one I currently own although it might have more leg room. I don't really care about that, how often do you sit in the back seat of your own car?

The car drove nicely, overall. The new engine version was pretty loud on the highway. Not a huge negative for me, but I understand some people don't like it. The transmission seemed to shift smoothly. I saw one review on YouTube where the guy was complaining about wind noise coming from the car ceiling. I didn't hear that. I didn't open any windows or the sunroof since it was 27 degrees outside so I don't know if there was any whistling noise there.

Basically, the car handled much the same as my current one, with maybe a little bit more power or at least it seemed like it.
No complaints there.

I asked the salesman to turn on the radio so I could hear the sound system. It sounded good to me. I understand it was the standard equipment on the XLE but it can be upgraded.

Now we get to the screen. It was big, but it still bothers me that it intrudes on your line of sight. I know Toyota is not the only manufacturer who is doing this but I wonder if this is going to be a trend that will disappear in a couple of years? I did not like this. I'm also unclear about the navigation system. I thought they had an independent one. I think it is tied to your iPhone and will only work with your app. I know they don't have software that will work with android phones yet and if you don't have a smart phone at all, you can't use it. I didn't hear exactly what my salesman said and I have an iPhone, anyway.

Overall, the car seemed a little bigger than what I currently have. Supposedly, that is not true except by maybe a couple of inches, but it just felt bigger.

I can't think of anything else right now, but I'd be glad to answer questions.
Thanks for the review!

Since I've grown tired of a lot of chrome, I don't mind the plastic grill. But you're right, that once you're up close, parts of the front of this RAV4 look cheap - the big plastic Toyota badge (Yeah I know, it's hiding a sensor, but still...), and if there are no fog lights, there are very cheap looking fake vents that have no venting ability. I'm interested in the XLE, which has fog lights.

The bright blue showcase model might be a Toyota request. That's the very ones being showcased in my local dealerships as well. I'm interested in red with the black cloth seats. I haven't been inside the RAV4, only looked through the windows. It looks comfortable enough, though it seems the interior quality, while improved and satisfactory, could still use a little more upgrade. It's not bad, but not great either.

I'm glad you mentioned and confirmed the road noise issue. Nearly every review it watched/read brought it up as a negative. Playing music (sometimes a bit loud, I confess) is part of my driving routine; so the road noise may be a non-issue for me, unless the noise rises above the music. That'll be a probable deal breaker, if it's that loud.

I don't like these elevated infotainment monitors either. Unfortunately the RAV4 might have the worst looking one, since it's squared, instead of rounded edges, and not even approaching any style. Also unfortunate, is that I'm interested in Mazda, which also incorporates top-of-the-dash monitors. To their credit, they at least attempt to be stylish about it. I'm concerned about how quickly these things will be obsolete in both style and usefulnes. It has potential to affect resale value, if perceived as gaudy five years from now. (I already think they're a bit gaudy).

Which made me wonder recently: How do we "test drive" all the modern features that the auto industry is offering these days? How, in a twenty minute drive down the road, can we conclude how we'll take to the safety system, phone connection, navigation, and the like? Seems like it would take a good bit of time to figure out if a vehicle's infotainment system, etc. becomes intuitive for a particular driver. More time than a test drive or even a day can provide. More like a week or two in the car daily to grasp a feel of the systems - or not. I guess we could rent one, but that's one expensive test drive.

To your navigation question: I believe - but don't quote me - that the Entune system has navigation independent from your phone. Probably something we both need to Google.

I guess I only have two questions:
1) You say it handles just fine and is a bit more powerful, but can you muster some giddy-up when it's needed (when trying to pass or merge), or does it struggle to accelerate quickly in a moment?

2) Did you buy it or further negotiate towards a deal?

Thanks so much!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM

7,399 posts, read 11,153,781 times
1) I test drove it on a 2 lane state highway so I didn't get it up to the speed you would do on an interstate. Traffic was heavy and I didn't pass anyone because I knew I would be turning right at the lights to go down some back roads. My current XLE is fine for passing and merging onto highways and it seems this one might be better. I didn't notice any struggling at all. I don't think I mentioned the Lane Assist warning? It went off a couple of times when I was on the highway. It was a little annoying, but I don't think it was loud enough to wake someone up if they start to drift off. Perhaps it can be turned off. I should have asked about that.

2) They said the price they quoted me on the internet was correct. As I mentioned previously, this dealership has very, very bad reviews. The salesman was very nice and not pushy and the sales manager introduced himself to us, no problem there. They followed up with a couple of emails and a phone call. Very courteous.
I told them I was deciding between the RAV4 and a Volkswagen Tiguan that I drove,which is a little bigger and a little nicer fit and finish. We had asked the VW dealer to hold the car until Saturday until after I drove the Toyota, which they did. So I ended up buying a 2019 Tiguan and I'm picking it up tomorrow. It's not even the car I asked them to hold, it's a little bigger and the touchscreen is 8 in. almost the size of a ipad mini. Also, this dealership is very close to my house and the Toyota dealership is at least 20 miles away. And the service manager (and son of the owner) is my neighbor. I usually keep my cars 5 years and VW gives you a 6 year transferable warranty. Otherwise, I don't think I would buy a VW where Toyota's are very reliable.

I would have bought the RAV4 had I not seen this Volkswagen. There really was nothing wrong with it (except the ugly screen).

Old 01-13-2019, 07:57 AM

15,104 posts, read 8,073,946 times
I currently have a Jeep Wrangler 2 door, which I will keep, but was considering adding a vehicle that is more daily driver friendly. I really like the 4Runner, but I really don't need that big of a vehicle, which brings me to the Rav4 as I like four, or all wheel drive vehicles.

How does the Rav4 perform in snow, and poor road conditions? Does the 4 cyl engine have enough power, as I am used to a big, 4 liter six? I assume the seats fold down in the back. Is there enough room to throw a road bike back there if you pop the front tire off? Thanks!

Old 02-27-2019, 12:51 PM

453 posts, read 317,148 times
Sorry to veer just a bit off subject, but I am starting to search for a used RAV4 with 4WD.
Does anyone know the last model year that the RAV4 was built with 4WD? My search comes up empty.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:52 AM

18,969 posts, read 17,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Sorry to veer just a bit off subject, but I am starting to search for a used RAV4 with 4WD.
Does anyone know the last model year that the RAV4 was built with 4WD? My search comes up empty.
2012, it came with 4wd with center locking differential but no low range like a true 4x4. So it is more like an awd over a true 4wd. If you want a true 4wd then go for the 4Runner.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:25 PM

10,196 posts, read 10,939,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This is not true. If you opt to buy out your lease, mileage overage and wear/tear do not matter.

Leasing is great as it gives you options. You’re on a 2-3yrs test drive. If you really like it, keep it at lease end. If you want the latest model, trade it in at lease end. If you want something totally different, turn it in, hand them the keys and go elsewhere.

I lease all of my vehicles. The peace of mind of always having a car under warranty, along with the latest tech and safety features makes it worth it.
Really,, as well made as cars are now and as long as they last on only routine maintenance, you can have peace of mind without making a car payment every month for the rest of your life.

Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,224,585 times
Agree. Never understood leasing besides people trying to drive something more than they can afford.

To make matters worse, people pay for the vehicle while leasing and then turn around and buy the vehicle at the end of the lease, although they have already been paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Do not lease ever you will have to pay the over millage and wear and tare fees even if you buy it at end of lease and you do not own a car until the lease is over if you lease but if you get a 24 or 36 month loan you will own the car from the day you buy it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion