Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:31 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I really am not in the financial place to be making hugely moral / environmental choices in this regard - but the thing that immediately comes to mind when I hear people say just what you are saying is that there is more to going "hybrid" than just saving money. While it is not yet worked out how the battery recycling will impact our environment - there are definite wonderful benefits to our world & our environment by buying a hybrid. This is something that I am committed to at least in theory - even if I do not necessarily have the financial means to back it up right now.
I totally understand what you are saying regarding the term hybrid and going green with the hybrid car being more than just saving money. I am a science teacher so I am all for going green and trying to do my part to help the environment. Its that wallet of mine that wants to stay green by making sure its filled with it. (Shameless attempt at humor... I have some good 7th grade science ones if you are interested)....Anyway back to my point....

Unfortunately, the hybrid cars are marketed with financial impact in mind today and with the rising costs all across the board, while there are environmental benefits that can be touted, I feel they are in fact outweighed by the financial aspects or lack there of. I would be interested in seeing the stats for target buyers for the hybrids and their reasons why. I could be wrong but I would think a lot of the sales of hybrids are probably being made with financial benefits in mind, as opposed to the best intentions for mother earth and the customer's carbon footprint. One thing that no car company can let a customer know (because they don't know) is how much it is going to cost to replace or repair and service these hybrids after a few years of service and expired warranties. The things are just too new to be able to speculate. You may start to see a glut of used hybrid cars if it turns out they are more expensive to maintain than is worth to keep. Its all relative though I guess. You mentioned the battery recycling which is a good point regarding a potential environmental disadvantage of hybrids. Corolla and Civic. Check them out. I drove the new Civic. Did not care for it...but then again I was not looking to get a new car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 09:35 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I would try a certified used Honda Civic Hybrid. I am not sure about the seat issue in those cars, though.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:46 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,424 times
Please... can someone just tap into my psyche & then go out & find me the precisely right vehicle for me - and do so at the best price & by this weekend? lol

I am stressed...

Old 04-01-2008, 10:29 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
I have always found Ford seats too long for my short legs. Have you looked at a Focus. They brag about MPG on TV adds and surely they wouldn't stretch the truth would they?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:27 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
I know this probably won't be a popular recommendation on this board, but what about the new Chevy Malibu???? I believe it gets over 30 mpg on the highway, as do the Pontiac G6 and Impala. They are midsized, but that might make you feel more comfortable. I dont' know what price range you're in, but i'm sure you could find some good discounts. I know GM offers some regional discounts as well. Just a thought.

Chevrolet Malibu Overview - Edmunds.com They offer a 4-cylinder and a V-6, Prices start at 19k........i believe there is also a malibu hybrid

Last edited by CortlandGirl79; 04-01-2008 at 11:37 PM..

Old 04-02-2008, 05:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,550,845 times
The best you can do is to sit in as many cars as possible. There is no way we can tell you what vehicle you would be most comfortable in.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think.reciprocity View Post
I was talking to the sales guy about the Corolla Hybrid & he was saying that some of the issues still not worked out on the PRIUS have been fixed on the Corolla - like the seat pan issue. I have driven a 2007 Corolla NOT hybrid when in CA - it got pretty decent mpg - but not good enough. Are you talking about the Hybrid? What year do you have - as much as you can share the better. The sales guy said the hybrids only get about 35mpg max.

THanx...

I would vote for the Corolla. Its a great car and gets nearly 40 mpg on the highway and its not a hybrid. I don't believe that there is a Corolla hybrid. So buy the Corolla, its a little roomier than the Prius, plus it gets great gas mileage without having to drop the extra money for a hybrid.

If you need something larger and roomier than a Corolla, but still with good gas mileage, my advice would be to look into a Honda Accord 4-cylinder.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Look at the new Chevy Malibu LTZ. It gets about 20/28 MPG. Not a Prius but a much nicer car.

the Honda INsight gets 70 plus mpg, but it is tiny. Hard to find too.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 PM

Question Another Question or two or three...

Okay, I think I may have narrowed it down & have some questions of all of you.

There are these points to be made about the three vehicles - I do not necessarily have the right figures - but this gives you the general idea:

2009 Prius Hybrid - $25,000 MSRP (But I'll pay just over INVOICE):

Positives: 48 mpg CITY (in LA I will be driving mostly city), Ultra Low Emissions, Monitor/Display that shows fuel & batter usage & other helpful data (will not get gps installed), position of the speedometer & other dials & the fact that they are digital & readily easy to read & monitor your speed/etc, keyless entry (LOVE IT), free metered parking in LA, display for radio shows the song that is currently playing on each pre-programmed station, lowest maintenance costs of the three

Negatives:
The seat pan is uncomfortable for me (physical health issues), the seat is not adjustable up/down/& no tilt, the steering wheel is very tiny & even though it adjusts somewhat - it feels awkward & given where I position the seat - not very comfortable, actual cost of the vehicle much higher than I wanted to spend, hatchback w/ strange division in the window due to spoiler

2009 Camry Hybrid - $28,000 MSRP (But I'll pay just over INVOICE):

Positives: Maybe as much as 38 mpg city, environmental (don't know how low the emissions are though), seat is fully adjustable with lumbar support too, absolutely comfortable vehicle, actual trunk not hatchback, fully adjustable steering wheel, the size of the steering wheel is far more comfortable, second best maintenance costs of the three, keyless entry (LOVE IT)

Negatives: Actual cost of the vehicle much higher than I wanted to spend, speedometer & such are traditional dials & in the traditional spot which is often blocked by steering wheel position, no display/monitor - therefore none of the benefits of such - like monitoring fuel consumption / habits - seeing what song is playing-etc, only as much as 38 mph due to larger engine, it's a full-sized vehicle which means it reduces it's fuel efficiency & increases it's environmental impact

2009 Corolla - $20,500 MSRP (But I'll pay just above INVOICE):

Positives: Much lower actual cost of vehicle

Negatives: Only about 28 mph, not hybrid - so no ultra low emissions, higher maintenance costs & of course - higher fuel costs, basic car - nothing really to say anything about one way or the other, while the seat has some strange pump to make it go up higher or down lower - it is not fully adjustable & no lumbar support, just a car - which makes it difficult for me to spend that much money - even though it would be a savings over the others on actual vehicle price - it is also more than I wanted to initially spend but provides little incentive to do so whereas the others have reasons to put out the additional money, it's a compact & I have little knowledge of how it fairs in crash testing

THAT ALL BEING SAID:

My dilemma is that I have very little time to decide & I have to have a vehicle before leaving MN for CA towards the end of the month. I cannot determine what's the wiser thinking:
  • 'Buy either the Camry or Prius now because of the better gas mileage because I will not be funding the first $10,000 of payments but will be responsible for paying for fuel. My income is as low now as it (hopefully) ever will be so why not save on fuel costs when I really need to. If, when I am able to get off of SSDI, I find that the payments are too big - I can sell the car then (excellent resale value) & buy cheaper if needed.'
  • 'Buy the Corolla because I cannot imagine spending more than that on a vehicle - even that much seems ridiculous - especially because I'm not crazy about the car. Lower car payments, more modest vehicle, but increasing fuel consumption & costs by, what, 75%! Just seems like the more cautious thing to do!?!?'
  • SOOOOO, what to do? Camry, Prius, Corolla & why?
Clearly I am STUCK on fuel economy. There are other features that are different too - the two hybrids have this safety feature that prevents accidents somehow by anticipating & correcting your response to impending accidents or something (I have it straight in my head... lol). The Camry has a Knee Impact Airbag.
  • Also, put money down to reduce payments now or wait & keep whatever money I have for a down payment in the event that I may need it - given that it takes a lot to reduce the payments by very much?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Look at the new Chevy Malibu LTZ. It gets about 20/28 MPG. Not a Prius but a much nicer car.

the Honda INsight gets 70 plus mpg, but it is tiny. Hard to find too.
I really don't want any car that gets gas mileage as low as 20mpg. I know there are no guarantees but that just isn't good enough for me. But, the Insight is no longer made & Honda has not rolled out their 2009's yet. They are supposed to be replacing the Insight with some Hybrid version of the Fit (is that what it's called?). Although I've never driven the Insight or even seen it much - if it was a safe vehicle & had a comfortable seat - I'd be first in line to buy it with that kind of gas mileage - as long as there's actually a back seat so I could drive my son, grandson, & DIL too!

Who knows, maybe I'll just have this car I buy for a couple years & by then there'll be more economical / environmental choices!??!?!

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion