U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:16 AM

3,509 posts, read 5,579,551 times

Advertisements

So what did the changes end up being?

It should have made it's debut yesterday from what I was seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 10:17 AM

2,123 posts, read 890,097 times
They delivered on a few things::
- More headroom. I have to tilt my head sideways to sit in the latest Tacoma. Having a seat with height adjustment would help. - Yes! Yes! Yes! And a power seat.
- Auto 4WD - Should have been there a long time ago - no
- Better automatic transmission mapping - Yes
- Apple CarPlay - YES! plus Alexa!
- Homelink availability - sadly no. Will need to buy the accessory mirror.
- Improved gas mileage - no indication. Same engines and transmission.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:17 AM

1,028 posts, read 491,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Rumor has it the updated 2020 Tacoma may debut at the Chicago Auto Show this month. What do we hope changes? I know I wasn't satisfied with the 2015-2019 truck to replace my older Tacoma so I've been waiting to see what happens. After all, my old truck with almost 650k miles is still going strong!

Some hopes:
  • More headroom. I have to tilt my head sideways to sit in the latest Tacoma. Having a seat with height adjustment would help.
  • Auto 4WD - Should have been there a long time ago
  • Better automatic transmission mapping
  • Apple CarPlay
  • Homelink availability
  • Improved gas mileage

What do you think?
I was surprised to learn that the Tacoma is built in Texas. I usually had an aversion to Toyota because I prefer "American" but the "Taco" is made in San Antonio, TX. I lived in Austin for a year, so I think that's great Toyota helped contribute to the local economy there despite being a "foreign" company.

With that said, I made a couple of earlier posts asserting a general preference to the Chevrolet Colorado (which I own) and perhaps upgrading to a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 since it's less expensive than the ZR2 (which would be ideal).

But out of curiosity I looked at some videos on the Tacoma, learned it is made in Texas, and also saw its offroad performance. It was incredible. One video showed how the crawl feature of the Tacoma 4x4 offroad trim got out of sand. A similar test on the same surface for the Colorado Z71 left it stuck. But the Taco made it out with that crawl feature. As a mechanical engineer with a software engineering background, the crawl feature is an example of artificial intelligence (machine learning) combined with digital control technology and traction management. I loved the demo.

However, the complaints about the "Taco" are:
* It's too small - a small survey of blogs seems to give a general limit of about 6'. I am taller than that with the body frame of an athletic college linebacker. So, it doesn't seem like it would fit me comfortably. The Colorado is perfect for interior room.
* It vibrates too loudly. This seems to vary based on the engine. The root cause appears to be the 4 cylinder at about 50-60 mph for some (not all) Tacomas when accelerating on a hill. I think the 6 cylinder may have more power to avoid that - or perhaps not? I don't know.
* It doesn't has Apple or Android carplay. I think this was fixed in the past six months or so.

But no reviewer seems to question the Taco's offroad capability and its relatively low price. It's much less expensive than the Ranger and even less so for the ZR2. I think it would be a great upgrade from a 4x2 to 4x4 but it seems like it might be too small for me and too loud in city freeway sections.

Hopefully, the 2020 version would address the issues above. Otherwise, I may just have to go with the Ranger 4x4 as planned. It's definitely not as great offroad but it's reasonable enough and doesn't have the highway vibration problems of the Taco (so it seems). The "Taco" is actually from Texas too - it's American (lol).

Old Today, 08:56 AM

6,229 posts, read 7,241,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
I hope they do something with the tundra as well in 2020.
I need a new truck soon but the Tundra is a very outdated model. They definitely need an update. Todayís tundra is a reliable nice truck but compared to Ford and Chevy they are behind. Shocking that Toyota let that happen considering how much they dominate the midsized truck field. I do need a full sized truck and my Toyota SUV may end up sharing garage space with a Ford F-150. Right now Ford has the advantage in my nearing truck purchase.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

946 posts, read 636,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I need a new truck soon but the Tundra is a very outdated model. They definitely need an update. Todayís tundra is a reliable nice truck but compared to Ford and Chevy they are behind. Shocking that Toyota let that happen considering how much they dominate the midsized truck field. I do need a full sized truck and my Toyota SUV may end up sharing garage space with a Ford F-150. Right now Ford has the advantage in my nearing truck purchase.
Toyota is very conservative with making drastic changes to their best selling vehicles such as 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra etc. That's what makes them so reliable, lack of unproven, untested technology and bulletproof design.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Toyota is very conservative with making drastic changes to their best selling vehicles such as 4runner, Tacoma, Tundra etc. That's what makes them so reliable, lack of unproven, untested technology and bulletproof design.
I get that, but on fuel economy and tow rating they have fallen too far behind. Now I do agree with what you said and that is why I will seek out a Ford with a proven 5.0 engine NOT that turbo 6 cylinder. I appreciate priven technology to an extent. There is a difference however between proven tech and outdated tech.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

14,334 posts, read 30,585,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I get that, but on fuel economy and tow rating they have fallen too far behind. Now I do agree with what you said and that is why I will seek out a Ford with a proven 5.0 engine NOT that turbo 6 cylinder. I appreciate priven technology to an extent. There is a difference however between proven tech and outdated tech.
When they switched from a 5 speed auto to a 6 speed auto in 2016, there were constant complaints about gear hunting, and it being annoying etc. If they went with an 8 speed it would be even worse, so I suspect Toyota stuck with the 6 speed to keep from upsetting too many loyal customers, despite the slightly lower mpg.

Thatís of the top complaints about the new Camry with itís 8 speed, is the gear hunting. Itís just hard to avoid that when you go over 6 speeds.

Old Today, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When they switched from a 5 speed auto to a 6 speed auto in 2016, there were constant complaints about gear hunting, and it being annoying etc. If they went with an 8 speed it would be even worse, so I suspect Toyota stuck with the 6 speed to keep from upsetting too many loyal customers, despite the slightly lower mpg.

Thatís of the top complaints about the new Camry with itís 8 speed, is the gear hunting. Itís just hard to avoid that when you go over 6 speeds.
No doubt the 8 speeds are going to gear hunt. People say that about ford and Chevy too. Time will tell if these modern engines and transmissions will stand the test of time. What is really scary is how much it cost to rebuild a modern transmission. I just had my 02 Sierra tranny rebuilt for 2000. Those days are over, I hear these new ones can be 8-10k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or