U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:03 PM

2,772 posts, read 2,156,242 times

Advertisements

" I guess a Mustang or WRX would be possible contenders if I’m in the market for a fun car. "

Get the Mustang with the Coyote engine and a manual. No end of fun there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 01:24 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,294,803 times
Wouldn’t buy a Toyota with a bmw engine. Seems sacrilege if both sides!

Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 PM

13,697 posts, read 15,506,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Wouldn’t buy a Toyota with a bmw engine. Seems sacrilege if both sides!
Particularly because it's the detuned BMW engine and really what made the Supra was the engine. Price, I guess. The Toyota will be priced at $50,000 while the Z4 m40i is apparently around $65,000. Honestly, that doesn't make sense to me as that would put the detuned Toyota m40i coupe under the price of the BMW Z4 30i. That pricing doesn't really make sense to me but wait for official pricing I guess.

But yeah, it's weird. It's really a BMW. BMW built it at a BMW plant. Toyota helped develop some of the stuff in some way, not really sure who did what. Most people are either not going to know or just look at it as a detuned Z4 coupe with a Toyota badge.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 PM

3,176 posts, read 1,445,248 times
A Toyota with BMW reliability.
Someone had their head way up their rear end when they came up with that idea.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:31 PM

25,588 posts, read 61,076,404 times
If the Supra were to re-emerge I would be interested in it (probably not in buying one though). A BMW that someone wrote "Supra" on with a permanent marker? that is still a BMW it is not reemergence of the Supra.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:25 PM

1,998 posts, read 831,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Hard to say whether the Supra will have BMW issues since it's only the engine that is sourced. Most BMW issues are related to transmission, water pump, and electronics. Toyota has that covered. My problem is that it doesn't seem to have enough power to carry the Supra name. It seems more like a grown up version of the AE86/BRZ, light weight super handling. Supra should come with 500HP+ because it used to compete with the GTR. Because it uses the Z4 engine, there maybe very little room for bigger HP without some serious internals modding.
Having been in the auto engineering and manufacturing business for a very long time, I would expect that all powertrain control systems will be BMW-sourced. Body control systems will possibly be Toyota, but maybe not. We'll see. Other than Tesla, Toyota's collaboration and sourcing from other manufacturers rarely goes well. For instance, all those Yamaha engines they leveraged. I hope for the best but not with my money.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:54 PM

1,029 posts, read 976,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Hard to say whether the Supra will have BMW issues since it's only the engine that is sourced. Most BMW issues are related to transmission, water pump, and electronics. Toyota has that covered. My problem is that it doesn't seem to have enough power to carry the Supra name. It seems more like a grown up version of the AE86/BRZ, light weight super handling. Supra should come with 500HP+ because it used to compete with the GTR. Because it uses the Z4 engine, there maybe very little room for bigger HP without some serious internals modding.

I think it's more BMW than you think:

https://jalopnik.com/what-we-found-w...sup-1831800550

Looks like BMW OEM components from the throttle body, turbo, ESC, suspension linkages, etc.

Seems like a fun car to run on a road course, but I'm not sure I would want to own one.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:42 PM

2,301 posts, read 951,099 times
People who think it will have BMW reliability haven't done enough research. One of the main points of contention during development was the Japanese engineers telling the German team their parts weren't good enough. Apparently, the Japanese were sending everything back to Japan for testing, even things like small screws. Then the teams would have to start over again because some screw didn't meet Japanese standards.

If Toyota has its hands on the project, it's going to be more reliable than a BMW.

Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 368,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
People who think it will have BMW reliability haven't done enough research. One of the main points of contention during development was the Japanese engineers telling the German team their parts weren't good enough. Apparently, the Japanese were sending everything back to Japan for testing, even things like small screws. Then the teams would have to start over again because some screw didn't meet Japanese standards.

If Toyota has its hands on the project, it's going to be more reliable than a BMW.
Without a doubt❗️
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion